Who gave up their truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    You guys must not have deer lease or just do the bare minimum on it. I don’t own a ranch or haul animals (except dead) but my truck bed is loaded to the hilt every trip and as a former SUV owner there is no way I could get all the stuff done with an SUV I get done with my truck. From cottonseed hauling, to pallets of corn, hauling water and alfalfa bales to feeders, blinds, coolers, tposts, fuel, lawnmower, weedeaters, chainsaws 2x4s, plywood etc etc , I’ll keep my bed... and tell my buddies they can move their ownselves like I did. At 49 though I don’t have to worry about my friends doing that. My friends are of the age they pay somebody to do it. That’s a young mans deal.
    Good grief! When I did have a lease, I went out there to relax and enjoy myself, not work my *** off. I actually used a mini-van for a while. (thumbs up smilie)

Comment

all the more reason to buy sightly used. i can usually find something in the 30-40k range with low miles. i haul a lot so i need a truck but my wife's denali can pull as much as anything when we take the boat out.
      if you think new truck prices are bad where you are try looking in an oil boom town

Comment

You guys must not have deer lease or just do the bare minimum on it. I don’t own a ranch or haul animals (except dead) but my truck bed is loaded to the hilt every trip and as a former SUV owner there is no way I could get all the stuff done with an SUV I get done with my truck. From cottonseed hauling, to pallets of corn, hauling water and alfalfa bales to feeders, blinds, coolers, tposts, fuel, lawnmower, weedeaters, chainsaws 2x4s, plywood etc etc , I’ll keep my bed... and tell my buddies they can move their ownselves like I did. At 49 though I don’t have to worry about my friends doing that. My friends are of the age they pay somebody to do it. That’s a young mans deal.
        Yep- no lease for me. I don't even hunt anymore, only fish. And I don't move houses anymore (definitely a young man's deal), but I do get asked to help pick up lumber or equipment every so often (and usually when it is inconvenient for me).
        Last edited by Roy; 06-06-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
          Good grief! When I did have a lease, I went out there to relax and enjoy myself, not work my *** off. I actually used a mini-van for a while. (thumbs up smilie)
          Don't lie. It was all open range when you hunted. No leases.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
            Yeah, and I could get all I needed on the back of my mule.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
              Well after 250k loyal miles on my current truck, I might be looking into purchasing a new vehicle. Started looking into another truck but the prices are making me cringe.

Started thinking if I really NEED another truck and I can't come up with a legitimate reason other than, that's all I've ever driven and the convienence factor of throwing things in the bed. I don't haul a boat every other day anymore and I don't need to really go off road for anything. Only things I would ever really haul around is my kayak which I can get a trailer for or get a roof rack, and a four wheeler.

Kind of leaning towards a Subaru Crosstrek or something of the sort since it'll be primarily a commuter car and hunting/fishing on the weekends.

Anyone else done the same? Or am I crazy for considering getting away from a truck.
              My story.

First vehicle was a small Dodge Ram 50. Small truck. I liked it, just didn't like how low to the ground it was. Hauled all sorts of stuff in that thing until it finally bit the dust and I bought...

A Dodge Neon. Was in college and needed something I could afford with A/C. This fit the bill. I wasn't as outdoorsy other than car camping, but we did less of it with the Neon that we did with the truck. Somewhere in there I had a hand me down Chevy cavalier.

First job out of college I went and bought me a Tacoma Prerunner. Best truck I ever owned. Small, Light, and could haul stuff. Did a lot in that truck for years and years until I totaled it....

At which point I bought a Mini Cooper. I like racing go-carts and I wanted an adult sized one . But that thing didn't let me do a lot of stuff I wanted even as much as I tried. I drove out onto a hill country lease with that thing... even crammed a barrel feeder in the back... Loved driving that thing... but it was a stupid decision. So I traded it in for....

A Tacoma 4door. Inexpensive (compared to larger trucks and comparable to a minivan, SUV, etc.) I have to pay for 4 seats because we are a family of 4. I wouldn't trade having a truck for the world... and I missed it during the 3.5 years of having that Mini cooper... I don't care how much you commute, a truck is totally worth it.

But... my advise is this... You probably don't need the biggest most expensive truck out there. Get a mid sized, or whatever they classify them as. I like the Tacoma because it is a truck. I can pull stuff (6500#) and I can fit people and stuff in it. If I bought a $1000 camper top, it is no different than an car with a big-*** trunk. I can't justify spending $50K+ on some of these monster sized trucks. I know they have their place. If I worked in some other field, where I was out in the field, it would be different... but I don't. I live in the city, I don't own a big *** boat or a big *** RV, but I hunt and I fish and I kayak and I camp and I help people move stuff and I move my own stuff... and as such, I own a medium sized truck that is about $30K and cost no more than a mini-van.

Comment

I’ve owned 4 trucks and 3 suv’s, and I much prefer the suv’s for my needs, as long as you’ve got a 4x8 utility trailer or similar.

I don’t carry many people, but it’s nice having fishing rods, tree stands, tools, etc stored out of the weather and protected from theft.

The rear doors are also handy to access stuff in the front of the cargo area as opposed to crawling under a topper.
                Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 06-06-2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                  Chasing the buffalo with Gus.

Comment

I went from Tundra to 4Runner and love it!

Comment

This is what I did. Kept truck bought a Kia forte. I keep my vehicles so long they're not worth much anyway so selling my 07 Chevy would prob bring $3500-4k with the dents. Runs well and has a new tranny. Unless I'm getting another truck doesn't make sense to sell it and that money wouldn't make too much of a dent in a new car so I still drive it. Luckily wife liked the Kia because I just couldn't get used to it lol. I still drive my truck every day. wife will get a new SUV in the near future. Kia is a 2014 and paid off. I'll keep the Kia and drive it but can't imagine not having a truck when I need one..advice is keep the truck and buy a commuter especially if the truck isn't worth much.

Originally posted by MilMan View Post
                      I was in this boat a while back. I kept the truck for when I want to haul or in the event I need to tow something to the lease. Bought a small Kia that had 6k miles on it for 12k and use the Kia for daily stuff and such. It worked out for me and my budget to keep miles off the truck and I’m spending way less a week on gas. Just my $.02

Comment

A truck is great, but a $1000 trailer will haul all that stuff just the same.

Comment

Who gave up their truck?

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                          A truck is great, but a $1000 trailer will haul all that stuff just the same.

A minivan would pull a trailer too... but I’m not gonna do it because it can..

Personally, I’d just as soon not tow a trailer 10 hours round trip. Just asking for more problems with bearing failures and flats.
                          Last edited by Smart; 06-06-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I’ve been thinking along the same lines except I’ll keep a truck, just considering going to a 2 wheel drive - Half ton crew cab with a smaller V8 or possibly a 6 cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                              Well after 250k loyal miles on my current truck, I might be looking into purchasing a new vehicle. Started looking into another truck but the prices are making me cringe.

Started thinking if I really NEED another truck and I can't come up with a legitimate reason other than, that's all I've ever driven and the convienence factor of throwing things in the bed. I don't haul a boat every other day anymore and I don't need to really go off road for anything. Only things I would ever really haul around is my kayak which I can get a trailer for or get a roof rack, and a four wheeler.

Kind of leaning towards a Subaru Crosstrek or something of the sort since it'll be primarily a commuter car and hunting/fishing on the weekends.

Anyone else done the same? Or am I crazy for considering getting away from a truck.

I will never not have a truck. I actually don’t need a truck for anything other than hunting or fishing. My day to day driver is a car but I have to have a truck for those 30 to 40 days a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m the same way. The only way I could get ride of my truck is if I didn’t have a place to hunt. I live in a house where I can’t park a trailer so unless I wanted to rent a storage unit I need to have a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X