Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR Deer Hunting w/Walker Beagles? Whatcha' think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never really got to do it BUT
    I was 6 or 7 years old hunting squirrels at my grandparents house and had a pack of dogs come through the bottom chasing a deer with a man on a horse with them.
    It was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

It is one of my earliest memories.

I bet you have a great time
    Last edited by Buff; 11-09-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Saltwater, I forgot about the mouth-blown bullhorn. I'll have to ask my dad if he still has it. Real bullhorn with molded mouthpiece. I can't recall how they formed the mouthpiece, but vinegar seems to ring a bell.

Comment

Not my thing, but if it is a legal means of hunting where you are - to each his own.

Comment

Yep, my grandpa's was an old horn and his just had a whittled out mouthpiece that wasn't more than the sharp point of the horn cut off and rounded and a hand drilled/whittled hole through to the inside of the horn... had a groove whittled about an inch or so in front of the mouthpiece that has a leather string tied around it tight in the groove for a lanyard... It's packed away in a box from our move... I need to dig that thing out and put it on display in my man-cave/office...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            EXACTLY!!
            He jumped right in there bashing right away while all the time admitting he'd never actually been on a hunt like this... knows absolutely nothing about what to do to hunt with dogs, and nothing about what is required to be successful... You know this is the perfect illustrations about the similarities between opinions and *******s... Some of the young folks on here should probably take up the tension on their triggers a bit... They might learn something...

OP: I grew up hunting this way, and let me tell you, there's nothing more exciting than to hear the hounds on a hot trail... My family raised several breeds for hunting deer, but mostly Walker's and Redbones... They've got a bark like nothing else in the woods... I still have my grandpa's horn and it's one of my most cherished possessions because of the memories it brings back... My first good buck is hanging on my wall right now that my dad got mounted for me... I killed him with a brand new Browning 3" magnum shotgun he bought me for Christmas... Don't know who was more proud... me for getting the buck, or my dad seeing me do it... You go have a great time and absorb it all in! You'll likely make memories that will be with you the rest of your life!

Of course, it's not legal in Texas any longer and it's a dying sport, but it is sure fun, and a bigger challenge than sitting over a feeder as far as being able to dependably kill a deer. I can tell you that from close to 50 years experience at doing both... I no longer hunt that way, and I do prefer the way it is now... that the dogs aren't in the woods running deer, but in my younger days, there was no more fun times than deer camp, with the dogs tied up at the edge of the light, and all the men sitting around the campfire telling stories, then finally going to bed on a pallet on the ground and so excited there's no way to possibly go to sleep...

You go have fun and come back and tell us about it... Oh yea, and yes, pics or it didn't happen!

The appeal to tradition is a fallacy in an argument, and not a good one for making a convincing argument. There's a reason it's outlawed in almost 80% of our states. In my post were several questions and opportunities to educate those of us that have never partaken in this method. Yet, you decide to attack me, rather than my argument after the OP ASKED FOR OPINIONS.

Comment

I’d like to try it. Sounds like it would be a blast, like dove hunting but a whole lot bigger and I might be able to hit one because I can take the plug out

My dad killed his first deer running dogs and a single shot 12 gauge

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                You’ll have a big time! There’s nothing quite like hearing the dogs turn your way on a hot race. It got outlawed in our zone (3) when the out of state retirees moved in. It was a blast and we miss it. You might want to carry a shotgun with buckshot instead of a rifle, depending on what you’re hunting in.

Contrary to some of the previous posts, it’s not super efficient and the deer will run where they’ll run. Dogs can’t make a deer run a certain direction. I’ll go out on a limb here and say it’s a little more difficult and fun than shooting a deer over a bait pile.

This. Grew up running walker hounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's how my dad, uncles and granddaddy all hunted growing up. Before my time, but I loved hearing the stories. I'd jump on it in a heartbeat if I had a chance to go.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                    The appeal to tradition is a fallacy in an argument, and not a good one for making a convincing argument. There's a reason it's outlawed in almost 80% of our states. In my post were several questions and opportunities to educate those of us that have never partaken in this method. Yet, you decide to attack me, rather than my argument after the OP ASKED FOR OPINIONS.
                    Whats the reason is what outlawed?
                    I mean the real reason ..not the perceived one of it being 'unethical'...'unfair'...etc... laws dont get passed if there isnt a monetary loss somewhere..

Comment

You're asking for an objective answer, while also supporting your reasoning with a subjective statement. LOLOLOL

Comment

Actually I COULD go into addressing your questions, but that didn't seem to me the focus of your posts... Your posts were an attack on something you know nothing about...but frankly, you're not worth the effort. My interest was in addressing the OP's post not yours...

Comment

WOW...

Now, after all of these posts, I'M ALL IN.

I promise to post on my experience.

Texas Archery_27 It is clear you are intelligent, and I appreciate you taking time to post. I do ask that you understand how passionate the guys that have done this in the past can be, as they (we) are simply watching a tradition die away. I see a where it's hard not to take things personally, and especially when you feel attacked, but I also understand the passion of those that wish they could do it....but can't because of lawmakers that fall prey to the "tree huger" mentality.

In truth, I believe that I might just be blessed with sharing the experience of an opportunity that many hunters may never get.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            I mean the real reason ..not the perceived one of it being 'unethical'...'unfair'...etc... laws dont get passed if there isnt a monetary loss somewhere..
                            Just go back and look at his posts in just about any thread that he participates in and you'll see he's a troll and not worth your efforts either...

Comment

You're asking for an objective answer, while also supporting your reasoning with a subjective statement. LOLOLOL
                              hmm
                              you stated.. and I quote:

There's a reason it's outlawed in almost 80% of our states.
                              I asked:
                              Originally posted by systemnt
                              Pretty straight forward.. you said it was outlawed for a reason.. whats the reason?

Comment

Originally posted by LennyWayne View Post
                                You guys have changed my opinion, and these posts have been fantastic.

I will take some pictures and share them on Tuesday morning, so be sure to look for this thread, and I'll also share my experience.

thank you ALL!
                                Have fun and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X