No announcement yet.

Testing the Waters: Photography Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll try one, I got a pic of a turkey this weekend!

Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 04-15-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I would like to try. In the last few years I have got some pretty great pics while traveling that I have been looking for an excuse to post!

Comment

I think this would be a great idea. I agree with just having a topic or something and have everyone post 2 or so pics so we can all just share different tips and tricks of the trade.

Comment

I don't think that the use of imaging software should be allowed in a photo contest....
          how are you going to know if an image is tweaked?

How do you define it? Is cropping an image tweaking?

What if you remove some dust that was on your lens?

The image I posted is a kit lens with polarizing filter... that's about all... I may have sharpened it.. I really can't recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
            I'd love that but I seriously doubt a guy like Russel Graves is going to stop down and judge our "just for grins" game.

If you think you can get him, that would be awesome! ... but I think he is used to getting paid to talk photography shop.

Berandel has it explained for me.
            Russell is a bowhunter and the most down-to-earth guy you'd ever hope to meet (he's an Ag teacher). He's busy, of course. But I bet we could get him to judge an occassional contest. Maybe not every month, but at least once every now and then. A great photographer with a teacher's heart would make a good judge, I think. Plus it would likely drive some new folks to his website, and maybe somebody would buy a print, a book, or a photo tour or something. A little free advertising never hurts either.

Comment

Shane

It would be awesome to have him posting here. Please extend the invitation.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                I'm still in either way....Can we start another discussion topic for picture taking? I don't think that the use of imaging software should be allowed in a photo contest....The idea would be to show how well you can take a pic without having to fix it later.....With the right software you can take a mediocre picture and make it a winner.........
                In the dark ages of film photography, folks spent hours in the dark room dodging and burning and "Photoshopping" their exposures. That's all part of getting a good photo. Now, cutting and pasting a windmill into a bare landscape might be different, but adjusting color levels, contrast, sharpening, and all of that stuff is just part of "developing" the film isn't it?

Comment

Yall are turning this into rocket science. I was just wanting a simple, fun, learning experience that might promote some positive input into the site.Didn;t realize it would turn into something like this.

Comment

I might play.....but Leggy and Rob can't be involved!!

I gave up my 35mm a few yrs ago for VIDEO...maybe I'll have to knock the rust off the ol' lenses............

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
                      Yall are turning this into rocket science. I was just wanting a simple, fun, learning experience that might promote some positive input into the site.Didn;t realize it would turn into something like this.
                      Nawwww. Now that you are Artistic Wildflower, you were looking for a forum to showcase your awesome new skills behind the lense!!!

Comment

There is a layer of complexity involved with subject matter beyond just the gear. Some shots are simply things that happen that even the pro's understand is once in a blue moon to pull off......The Old Man syndrome plays into a lot of it......B&C, P&Y = same dealio to me. It's not easy to cover wild things in their world.

Then there are those shots that you know could close a bit better or you can drop 10k on a lens but....the rare value of the scene displayed, needs to be captured no matter what your equipment limitations are.

Do not ever be one to not snap the shot....ever! It's only you and the experience of that moment....not the photo that matters. You remember it all and the pixels, no matter how good or bad they are.........that's what this game is all about. You were tossed a cookie.......be blessed, he rewarded you that moment and that scene is captured there, in memory, forever!

God Bless

Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-15-2008, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I like the idea mostly for the learing experience. Submitted photos should include the camera settings (lens, speed, zoom, filters, etc.) for reference for those still learning. I don't mind the post-processing, but let us in on how you achieved your final product. Competition or not I encourage the constructive critisism. That's how we all improve as practice makes perfect!

Comment

What I wan't to know is why does there have to be a winner and bragging rights for this to happen? I REALLY enjoy the pics that are posted on TBH to begin with. My personal opinion is that if there were a monthly thread about pics of a certain type, that thread would be for ALL our viewing pleasure without the need for judgement or bragging rights. I know I would enjoy it.

Comment

Just got an email back from Russell, and he said he'd be glad to judge the photos. Just need to let him know what he needs to do and when.

Jaspro, when the first "official" contest (or non-competitive photo sharing event) is planned, shoot me a PM and I'll let Russell know. With baseball and other stuff going on right now, I don't check in here every day. (I know.....what could be more important? )

Comment

Excellent and what a warm offering from Russell. All photogs are family and the passion is the bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X