Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Model Knife for me

New Model # 110 I'll call it the "Popeye"
    Today was R&D day. I've been wanting to come up with a new model and fresh to what I've been doing for the last 14 years. I've pretty much just did hunting knives before that I was making Bowies; this is what I came up with and it's passed all my stringent tests.
    It's 1/8th in 1095 60rc. Brine & Soap quench, tempered at 400 for two hours and passed all my tests. I got it to razor sharp, and cut enough leather to skin three deer and still shaved my arm. Pass the brass rod test. I was amazed how well it flexed being so hard. I made two a like I put the knife in my vise with about 2” sticking out and put the pipe wrench to it, I think it snapped at about 25-30 degrees, I don’t know how many foot pounds of torque it took but you’re not going to snap it by hand. The grain structure was beautiful inside, I’m happy with my process. When you sell with a life time warranty; you make sure you make a good product. We as knife makers owe it our customers that they are getting the best possible blade that can be produced from that particular steel. That’s one reason I don’t jump around to different steels or alloys. If I didn’t learn anything from my mentor Ed Fowler; I learned TEST, TEST, TEST!

You didn't have any problem with warping when you stuck it in the water/salt/soap?

I like that shape. What would somebody use a knife like that for?

Comment

Toothpick

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
        You didn't have any problem with warping when you stuck it in the water/salt/soap?

I like that shape. What would somebody use a knife like that for?
        Sam; why would I do something that was going to make my blade warp, a lot of knife makers use that method.???

I've been doing 1095 for a long time I don't warp them or crack them, I've got my methods and it works for me.. It's not for the squeamish; I tell people to use Fast Quench Oil... I don't want to be responsible for them messing up.

I guess you could use that knife for opening a letter, cutting off a shoelace or a seat belt, you could clean your fingernails with it, maybe cut off some cheese for a sandwich, or cut a hotdog into .... It's a cutting tool. I'm going to use it for an EDC; I think it would be perfect for that.

Comment

It's a nice tooth picker.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Smith View Post
            It's a nice tooth picker.

Yep if you're from Arkansas; One Toffer.

It's been on Facebook 30 minutes and I have 3 PM for one.. I guess they've been eating a lot of peanut butter...
            Last edited by Bjankowski; 01-10-2015, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Very nice, I like!

Comment

good combat knife reverse icepick style

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                  maybe cut off some cheese for a sandwich. . .
                  I think that would be perfect for cutting a grilled cheese sandwich in half! You could probably even cut it into triangles! :-)

Comment

I like it
                    Ron

Comment

Seriously I like it.

Comment

I like it.

Comment

I make several different one through out the year; the ones that sell consistently and I keep getting reorders for I keep. My customers give me the best feedback when they comment on my guess book if full of them in my website.

Comment

could you take a pic of it laying in your hand for scale?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycar85 View Post
                              could you take a pic of it laying in your hand for scale?
                              I'll do better than than... it's 8" OAl and 4" blade. the blade width is 1 1/8 inch. It would looks small in my hands; I have giant mits.
                              Last edited by Bjankowski; 01-10-2015, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X