what is best chainsaw length for cutting hill country cedars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is best chainsaw length for cutting hill country cedars

going to be clearing some cedars from under oak and from my roadways.
    looking for some guidance on 18" bar or 20" bar

and was looking at Husqvarna rancher as a model
    also planning to run truefuel thru whatever i buy

mostly just wanting suggestions on cedar clearing at the ranch from those of you that do it.

thx

I use a 20" as I don't like sticking my arms in areas I can't really see and trimming branches just takes more time. Flip side is if you have a lot of cedar it gets heavy fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

I grew up in east Texas in a logging family and always had the mindset that a Stihl 36 or 44 with a 20” was what you had to have. When I moved to Lubbock, I used a 44 for cutting a lot of mesquites and 1 that was too much saw, and 2 that was too much saw to tote around . I ended up buying a MS250 with a 16” I believe and that was perfect for a lot of the mesquite work. Still handles east Texas wood for the most part. Not sure what the biggest cedar you will be cutting is, but the 250 I have would be a good one to look at if you are looking more at “shrub” type cedars like I was familiar with in West Texas. A lot of power for as light as it is. Just remember that a saw can be rated to handle a “x” size bar but you will give up some power with that. I don’t think I would like my 250 as much if it had a longer bar. My 391 with the 20” is a different story

Comment

To be honest when I'm clearing cedar I use my pole saw, that way I'm away from all the limbs scratching me. If I was buying a new chainsaw I would get a 16" if it was going to be used for just light work.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
          I grew up in east Texas in a logging family and always had the mindset that a Stihl 36 or 44 with a 20” was what you had to have. When I moved to Lubbock, I used a 44 for cutting a lot of mesquites and 1 that was too much saw, and 2 that was too much saw to tote around . I ended up buying a MS250 with a 16” I believe and that was perfect for a lot of the mesquite work. Still handles east Texas wood for the most part. Not sure what the biggest cedar you will be cutting is, but the 250 I have would be a good one to look at if you are looking more at “shrub” type cedars like I was familiar with in West Texas. A lot of power for as light as it is. Just remember that a saw can be rated to handle a “x” size bar but you will give up some power with that. I don’t think I would like my 250 as much if it had a longer bar. My 391 with the 20” is a different story
          I agree! 10 years ago I could swing my MS310 with 20" bar for trimming for hours. Now I reach for my older 024 that I inherited. I even picked up 021 at an estate sale that I'm liking for power to wait ratio.

Comment

16in and 18 in are good I also have an echo 14in saw I really like using because I can use it with one hand, and use the larger saws for bigger cuts/stumps. This is the 14in model I have https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-14-...-203820602-_-N
            Last edited by slicktree; 06-19-2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Polesaw is easier on the back.

Comment

Buy a good one and keep the chain SHARP. Keep several chains with you.

Comment

Top handle is the best for getting in and cutting most of it, I only use my big saw when I’m cutting down the larger trunks 4”+

Comment

Think though how big of cedars you will be cutting. My guess is most will be on the smaller side, and you will be cutting them as close to the ground as possible.

I have a stihl MS290 farm boss with a 16 inch bar. It will cut everything in the Hill Country, I think the shorter bar is easy to handle, especially after cutting all day, bending over in tight places. It also helps immensely when you are cutting the trunks by rocks. Rocks will chew up a chain fast. Be sure and get a few extra chains, you will go through them.

Comment

16 is plenty unless you really like a work out

Comment

You might at least look at Stihl chainsaws. I've got two and they are the best saws I've ever ran. Very durable and dependable. They start every time! Also, I'd go with the 20" blade.

Comment

Smart move on the TruFuel only way to go. All problems were gone for me once I started using this a couple years ago. But I currently run an Echo 18" no problems yet. But shouldn't have a problem if you stick with the major brands.

Comment

Your looking heavy, but it's not best. A few years ago my wife bought me a stihl 170. I went to take it back because with 10000 cedars and mesquite to remove. I needed a real saw. I explained to the stihl dealer what I needed it for and wanted to return this saw. The stihl dealer asked me to please try it because it was the best saw for me and I did. Best move. That saw is my constant companion and just works it's lube off. I even built a carpenters tote type carrier for it I'll post later. The dealer was right. For most of my work, it's my go to saw. Cuts fabulously and fast, is light and if it was to crater on me today I wouldn't fret because it paid for itself in the first month.
                            Last edited by Kossetx; 06-19-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Stihl

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
                              You might at least look at Stihl chainsaws. I've got two and they are the best saws I've ever ran. Very durable and dependable. They start every time! Also, I'd go with the 20" blade.
                              got to agree mine is over 25y old and its been unbelievable....

Comment

Working...
                              X