sheperd's pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sheperd's pie

Cooked this tonight with ground venison and it was great! Next time I cook it, I'll probably substitue 2 packages of cornbread mix for the potatoes.

Shepherd's Pie

(may use instant mashed potatoes if in a hurry)
    2-3 pounds potatoes peeled and cubed
    2 tablespoons sour cream or softened cream cheese (optional)
    1/2 cup milk or cream

Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (1 turn of the pan)
    2lbs pounds lean ground meat
    2-3 garlic cloves minced
    2 carrots, peeled and chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    1 can mixed vegetables

1 package instant brown gravy

Paprika

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream and milk. Add the milk/cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.

While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan then add the meat. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat. Add chopped carrots, onion, and mixed vegetables to the meat. Cook veggies with meat for at least 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

After adding vegetables to the meat, prepare instant brown gravy package in a separate small saucepan. Stir gravy in to meat and vegetables mix when ready.

Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Lightly sprinkle paprika on top of potatoes and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned.

Thanks for the post - that's one of my favorite meals!

Comment

Love this stuff!

Comment

making it now!

Comment

wow its gooood! i used a little more pepper and i loaded the potatoes with sour cream chives green onion cheese and bacon

Comment

sounds good I am going to try it out

Comment

This is one I have been meaning to try. Looks so easy.

Comment

sounds good

Comment

Working...
                X