No announcement yet.

Educate me- off road helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a 4 wheeler at low speeds the main thing I'd be looking at is vents and somehing that will breathe well. I've had hjc, shoei, and a few other in the med range level. I love shoei. My wife liked Aria but think it's because they make alot of pretty girl designs but she said it did get good airflow with vents open. She also had an icon I believe. All of ours have been full helmets. Guessing you're not going full for side by side?
    Get something that isn't too hot is my main recommendation
    Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 08-29-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

It looked like this off the web

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve never seen an adult wear a helmet in Texas anywhere I’ve hunted or in pastures

Comment

I understand. But are you hunting areas like this at 8-9k elevation which have snow on the peaks now and will have more snow by late September?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
            I understand. But are you hunting areas like this at 8-9k elevation which have snow on the peaks now and will have more snow by late September?

I wish! I’d where a helmet all day if I could hunt there.

Comment

I ordered a Fly helmet at the Honda dealer. Funny- the guy working in parts- accessories said I could only buy the one on the shelf, everybody tries it on.

Walking out the general manager asks if I found what I was looking for. I said “Yes- but for list price on the helmet I expect a new one in a box, not one everybody tried on. I’ll just order it new, online”

He turned me around and said let’s go tell him to order you a new one, and I just gave you a 10% discount to pay the sales tax.

It comes in this week.

Comment

It looked like this off the web

If this is what you went with, you will be good. Open face is good for fourwheelers, especially with some good goggles. If you are riding a lot when its cold, make sure you seal the gap between goggles and helmet, or you end up with frostbite.

Comment

I ordered a Fly helmet at the Honda dealer. Funny- the guy working in parts- accessories said I could only buy the one on the shelf, everybody tries it on.

Walking out the general manager asks if I found what I was looking for. I said “Yes- but for list price on the helmet I expect a new one in a box, not one everybody tried on. I’ll just order it new, online”

He turned me around and said let’s go tell him to order you a new one, and I just gave you a 10% discount to pay the sales tax.

It comes in this week.

Ha, I sold parts and what not at a powersports dealer for a few years during and after college... We did the same thing except you we offered all that up front not as you were on your way out the door.

Glad you got one picked out.

Comment

You most likely paid a lot for the wheeler. Your head is much more valuable, spend the money on a nice one. Have several friends that have died from head injuries or are in a bed for the rest of their lives. Safety equipment should not be skimped on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Funny... The last posts makes me think about one of the things I heard the most when people were asking about helmets for street bikes. "I don't see the point in a helmet.. If I crash I don't want to be (insert terrible medical condition here), I'd just rather die"....

So, just based on the number of accidents I saw in 5-6 years of being around nothing but motorcycle folks monday through saturday. You were much much more likely to have head trauma without said helmet. Those wearing one were generally fine (from the neck up anyway) or dead.

Comment

Who wears an helmet?

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                          Funny... The last posts makes me think about one of the things I heard the most when people were asking about helmets for street bikes. "I don't see the point in a helmet.. If I crash I don't want to be (insert terrible medical condition here), I'd just rather die"....

So, just based on the number of accidents I saw in 5-6 years of being around nothing but motorcycle folks monday through saturday. You were much much more likely to have head trauma without said helmet. Those wearing one were generally fine (from the neck up anyway) or dead.
                          Lol, I heard this all the time too. I got the full leather gear when I rode. Figured it was better to slide across the pavement than use the pavement as a cheese grater for my skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                            You most likely paid a lot for the wheeler. Your head is much more valuable, spend the money on a nice one. Have several friends that have died from head injuries or are in a bed for the rest of their lives. Safety equipment should not be skimped on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

With seat belts, netting above the doors and a roll cage, I think it is sufficient and I don’t need a more expensive helmet. I hope I’m right and never find out.

Comment

The local shop said the Fly Racing was backordered with no shipping date so I got my money back.

I went to another local shop yesterday, the guy pointed out yes it has a roll cage- but in some accidents the cage can come down on top of your head. It’s possible.

After talking to the guy about head injuries, remembering my concussion 3 years ago when my pickup was t boned, Jason Hairston from Kuiu taking his life and having CTE brain injury, remembering my best friend’s advise in college “if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet” and thinking about life with a brain injury...

I pulled out the cc and got a deal on a Fox V3 with MIPS. Blew the budget, but it’s insurance. But once, cry once.

Hopefully I never find out if it really works.

Comment

Working...
                              X