Public hunting scouting question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public hunting scouting question.

I am fairly new to Texas and this will be my first year to really hunt public land here pretty hard. Also the first year I've ever hunted whitetail.

My question is how do y'all go about scouting public land? If cameras are allowed do you use them? When do you start your scouting? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

I start scouting in July and August just a couple times. Be ready cause its hot as heck. By September I hit it a bit harder and set up where I think is best. Cameras really don't use they get stolen. You continue to scout October cause they may change there pattern. Good luck

Comment

Plenty of folks use game cameras. I used to think I was going out into the woods but I soon came to realize that it was more like being on a hunting show (or reality show when no animals show)--there a cameras all over the place. Some folks leave them up for quite a while and others only use them for periods of time to try to keep them from being stolen. Theft is a serious issue on public land--lock your stuff up.

I don't use cameras and I scout out areas while I'm hog hunting. I try to keep my hunting as simple as possible and I do alright. I'm sure there are folks who do far better and they spend far more time preparing. You can make out of it whatever you want.

Best advice I ever received about hunting public land is to go way, way away from other folks--especially for deer.

Just be aware that some folks will "homestead" an area on public land and feel like no one can hunt around "their" area. Hopefully you won't run into that issue. Take care and good luck out there!

Comment

Start now. Spend as much time out there as you can. Learn the area. Learn how to get in and out quietly. Find the trails. It will look different in the spring and summer as things leaf out and grass grows.

The better you know an area, the better the chances of success.

Don't leave anything out there you aren't willing to lose. If you set a camera, it had best be well hidden.

Comment

When I want to check out a brand new area I start as soon as hunting season ends, cooler and less skeeters right now, at least until green up!
          You can see old rub lines easy, look for old scrapes/lick branches, the sign post type, they will generally use them again next year.
          Green up will be here before you know it, if not already in some places.
          Fine tune later on as the gentleman above suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Rmoore View Post
            When I want to check out a brand new area I start as soon as hunting season ends, cooler and less skeeters right now, at least until green up!
            You can see old rub lines easy, look for old scrapes/lick branches, the sign post type, they will generally use them again next year.
            Green up will be here before you know it, if not already in some places.
            Fine tune later on as the gentleman above suggested.
            X2

Comment

Thank y'all for the tips. I was thinking about going out in the next couple weeks and just walk around and get familiar with the place. Maybe look for some sheds, trails, water, bedding areas and that sort of stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
                Plenty of folks use game cameras. I used to think I was going out into the woods but I soon came to realize that it was more like being on a hunting show (or reality show when no animals show)--there a cameras all over the place. Some folks leave them up for quite a while and others only use them for periods of time to try to keep them from being stolen. Theft is a serious issue on public land--lock your stuff up.

I don't use cameras and I scout out areas while I'm hog hunting. I try to keep my hunting as simple as possible and I do alright. I'm sure there are folks who do far better and they spend far more time preparing. You can make out of it whatever you want.

Best advice I ever received about hunting public land is to go way, way away from other folks--especially for deer.

Just be aware that some folks will "homestead" an area on public land and feel like no one can hunt around "their" area. Hopefully you won't run into that issue. Take care and good luck out there!
                The odds for success go WAY up the first time you hunt an area, before the deer learn your patterns; and they will. I usually scout an area in real time, find what I need and then hunt right then.

Getting out after the season is a good idea as mentioned above.

I pour over aerial maps and topos, you can whittle down the good areas doing this without ever entering the woods. This will help maximize your time in the woods.

Learn the patterns for end of Summer; this will likely be the pattern for the early archery season.

Use other people to your advantage, they will make the deer change their patterns, set up and scout in areas that they will move into when this happens. Have a plan for this ahead of time so you can in and out quick before the deer learn you are there.

Get as far away from people as you can and be aware that private property that borders the public land may be able to be used to your advantage as well.

Comment

Get out there as much as possible and go over everything you can on google earth. Found several amazing spots this past year based on nothing but google maps a gps and some leg work. Most spots you can see and find based solely on what it looks like from above. To figure out what your looking for go find some of your current spots and start analyzing what makes them good and what that looks like from the air, then try to look for that pattern again but on the public land.

Good luck can be rewarding as all get out when you make it happen on public land.

Comment

Start soon as the season after the season ends.....cyber scout thru July, put boots on the ground in August, pick out 4 spots...steer clear of the area's til the season starts.

Comment

Who is going out to the woods today

Comment

Heading there now.

Comment

Well how was it

Comment

what everyone else said, also make sure to take a minimum of a compass i use a GPS have texas topo maps installed. i dont use flagging tape no illuminated tacks etc. i rely on my gps. always let someone know where you will be. friend, wife etc carry a whistle. The places i hunt you get no cell signal at all. i always have a 2 way radio with me and leave one at the truck. a few people know where my truck is so if im not calling them by 10pm they know something happened. i have been a hunting guide In texas and colorado as well as a few other states. These are things anyone i hunt with does as well. trust me ive been lost for real, for several days Its not fun. i always carry plenty of water and some sort of electrolite mix. i scout when deer season ends the following day and im in the woods on my day off from sun up to sundown and put close to 1,000 miles a year scouting in the off season via mountain bike and foot work. i take a note pad and pen as well. come up with a plan that works for you!!!. im starting to see alot of snakes now that the weather is warming up. i wear snake boots as much as possible. good luck and good hunting

Comment

Originally posted by howie1968 View Post
                              i always have a 2 way radio with me and leave one at the truck. a few people know where my truck is so if im not calling them by 10pm they know something happened.
                              I'm embarrassed to say that I had never thought of that. Looks like I'm headed to Academy this afternoon for walkies.

I've been lost twice, but not for near as long as you. Map, compass, GPS, and water (and now walkies) are must-haves. Being prepared helps me relax when I'm out.

Thanks for sharing that post!

Comment

Working...
                              X