Nov. 2008 Kansas Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nov. 2008 Kansas Buck

On my 9th day in Kansas I was lucky enough to harvest this buck.
    This is my third year hunting in Kansas and from the first hunt three years ago, I have been hooked. The mid-west style of hunting just suits me. It is a run and gun style of bow hunting that has me addicted to that area.

I hunted allot of different ground on the two farms I have permission to hunt in the past three years, but always kept ending up back in a stand over looking a creek bottom on the north end of the big farm. On Saturday morning I was back up in the north creek stand over looking the creek bottom and the west timber line. I had seen 6 younger bucks cruising the timber and or the creek bottom that morning in search of a hot doe that was not already spoken for. I happened to glass the timber line to the west when I caught movement of this deer. He was standing just inside the timber, I guess looking for any other deer, especially a hot doe.

I got a little impatient after he stood there for a little bit without moving. I picked up my rattling horns and crashed them together one time. The buck threw his head my way and postured. I knew then I had his undivided attention. I took my grunt call and made one load bark grunt then I hit the horns together again and stayed with the rattling a second or two longer.

The thing that happened next, happened so fast after I shot I had to really think about what did happen. After I rattled the second time the buck started at me on a very fast lope. He closed the distance so quickly, that I only had time to hang my up my horns. While the buck was looking for the two deer fighting, I slowly grabbed my bow of the hanger and locked my release on. I came to full draw and when the buck turned to leave I dumped the string. I hit little lower than where I thought my pin was, but still blew through his heart.

The buck wheeled and headed down the timber into the creek but did not make it for before the sound of relief hit, which was him hitting the ground.

This year while on stands, I saw 5 deer that would score 150 or better and probably close to 20 different bucks. This past last week was by for the most enjoyable sits I have had in a long time. Every doe that came by had a buck in toe. It was no problem sitting from day light to noon then 1:30 p.m. to dark. The wildlife movement kept me from thinking of my soar rear-end

My deer scored in the 140’s as a typical 7 point; with his 7 7/8” of abnormal points added he scored in the 150’s. He had 39 7/8” of mass. He had broken off approximately 3” of his right G-2.

Hope all enjoys and good luck to all.

Rwc
    Attached Files

Nice buck.

Comment

Thats awesome, almost 40" of mass...Congratulations!!!!

Comment

very nice. congrats

Comment

Great Kansas buck. Congrats. Sounds like an exciting hunt.

Comment

Like a said earlier... NICE JOB....

Comment

Awesome buck! Congrats!

Comment

Awesome buck!

Comment

Wow! What a buck! Congratulations.

Comment

Hey X are you coming our way later this season? I have some trees on the Oliver you need to sit in.

Be Good
                    Rwc

Comment

Great deer...no doubt. congrats

Comment

very nice, congrats

Comment

Very nice...

Comment

Richard very nice deer.Congrats

Comment

RWC... After Thanksgiving weekend I will be heading that way..

Comment

Working...
                              X