Trying to tune some arrows..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to tune some arrows..

Got some new (to me) arrows from JP today via JReyna.

Anyway...got the brace height somewhat adjusted to where the bow sounded good and was flinging decent. But I could see the arrows kicking out to the side and then straightening up. So I decided to get y'alls opinion on what I need to do next.

Here is a pic of 3 arrows from 15 yards. As you can see they are sticking pretty much straight in as expected since the fletching had time to straighten out the arrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2462.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	24900973

Here is another pic. The pic was taken from the exact same spot/angle but this time the arrows were shot from about 8-9 feet away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2461.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	24900974

They're hitting consistently at that angle up close. I don't have a way to paper tune or anything at the house but it's obviously they're flying bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

These are Beman MFX .500 with 125 gr. up front. Thanks!

What are the specs on your bow? Are the arrows full length? Brass or aluminum inserts?

Fishtailing would be an indicator of incorrect spine on your arrows. The best way to figure out the issue is to do a bareshaft comparison or paper tune. If you decide to bare shaft tune then make sure you start out at around 5 yards and have a big backstop. If your spine is grossly off you just may miss the target (has happened to me more times than I'd care to admit)!

Bareshafting works great too, just takes a little redneck ingenuity to rig it up in your yard! Sounds like you're on the right track, looking forward to hearing what your specs are.

Comment

I'm not even sure on specs. Bow says 55 lbs at 31". I'm shooting around 28" (never measured it on a recurve) so I've been told I'm shooting around 47 lbs. Bow is 64" if that matters.

The Bemans have a "HIT" or Hidden Insert Technology insert that is different than the normal ones. I have a scale somewhere. I'll try to dig it out and see what the arrows weigh.

Couldn't get my arrow scale to come on (dead batteries) but another scale showed my arrows weighed 32 grams (about 494 grains).
      Last edited by Chew; 05-24-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Hm, how close to centershot is the riser cut?

47# is probably about what you're pulling and the .500s (if full length ~ 32") should be pretty close for you. 500 grains with a 125 grain tip would lead me to believe that you have the aluminum inserts since that shaft is fairly heavy.

If I had to guess without seeing the bow (or any further tuning) I'd say you need a bit more weight up front to get them flying right. If you have some 145 or 175 grain tips I'd give them a try, but you're not really going to know for sure until you paper tune or bareshaft.

Comment

Bobby, there is no way for us to tell you how to fix that over the computer. You really need to do some form of tuning....whether it be paper or bare shaft....to tell what you need to do to the arrow to make it more correct.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            Bobby, there is no way for us to tell you how to fix that over the computer. You really need to do some form of tuning....whether it be paper or bare shaft....to tell what you need to do to the arrow to make it more correct.

Bisch
            ^^^^^This

They appear to be shooting stiff, but that could be a false indication due to a fletch clearance issue.

Those look like woodies. Can't tell for sure in the pictures, BUT if they aren't, and have rotating nocks, you might try changing the fletch orientation to see if a fletch clearance issue is the problem.

Rick

Comment

Thanks guys. The arrows are carbon, 9.7gpi, at 30 3/4" with 5" right helical feathers.
              I just thought there was a way to tell spine stiff/spine weak by the way they were hitting. I shoot right handed.

I didn't think about fletching contact. I have the cock feather lined up in the "groove" of the shelf...if that makes sense. I may try shooting with it facing out. I don't know how the riser is cut in reference to center shot. Any way to tell by eye ballin' it?

Comment

Hey Chew.

Here is a picture illustrating how to determine center shot on most bows, especially recurves.

Hope it helps.

Rick
                Attached Files

Comment

Cock feather out will give less contact. That sounds like you could use more weight in the point.
                  I have a similar set up on one of my bows and it shoots better with 200 gr. up front.

Comment

Chew, i shoot Beman MFX with 75 gr inserts. Based on your findings above, i'd say you have the 50 gr HIT inserts.

For a bow in the upper 40s, low 50s that is center cut, you should be pretty close. Possibe you nock point is causing arrow contact?

My experience is with a longbow cut to center. My guess is that with your Palmer, you're cut a little past center.

Try shooting heavier heads.....maybe a 175 or so.

Comment

My Palmer is an older one but it isn't quiet center cut and the strike plate brings it out a lil more... I shoot full length 5575 gold tips with the gold tip aluminum inserts and 125 grain points and 5 1/2 inch shield feathers.... I'm pulling right at 47 pounds at my draw length (29 1/2)

Comment

Zt

Comment

I'll be watching this, as I need to get some arrows for another bow I'll be getting soon.

Since knock point was mentioned, I'll ask. How do you determine knock point for a bow?

Comment

Oppppssssss was reading and accidentlly posted zt

Comment

Originally posted by killerbee View Post
                              Oppppssssss was reading and accidentlly posted zt
                              I thought it was some ancient indian code for "white man no can shoot good"

Comment

Working...
                              X