Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 02-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico
Default PVC tubes for ice chests

I watch a bunch of YouTube, yeah I know Lots of good info on there and some you just shake your head at.

One that intrigued me is what they call Polar Bear Tubes, Frozen Grenades etc. Basically they are PVC pipe in different diameters filled with water, end caps on both sides then frozen.

You make them the size you want on your ice chests/coolers needs. Make sure you leave room for expansion as most of the videos say only fill 3/4 of a way before you place your second end cap.

The saltwater regular vs. regular water debate is here also. One guy made a cool video (get it cool never mind) testing that theory. He took two identical thawed steaks. Placed them in the same cooler. Placed a frozen water bottle over one the other a frozen water bottle with ICE.

The regular water over steak was cold. The salt water over steak was FROZEN. Both steaks were left for 5 hours. I am thinking of trying it out. Not much too lose and more to gain. So long as you have a deep freeze you might have enough room.

Google pvc tunes and look them up on YouTube tell me what you think.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/diy-re...s-for-coolers/

Imagine your enjoying a nice day outside under your RV awning when tragedy strikes, you are out of ice. Is there anything more annoying and inconvenient than making an ice run to the store or running inside every time you need a refreshment? Considering there is even room in your refrigerator. We knew there had to be a better way for keeping the drinks, food, and fresh caught fish cool when it is warm out. Our search brought us to a reusable ice packs for coolers idea that is so simple you will wonder why you didn’t think of it. This idea comes from a guy named Bill Shelton who runs a unique business selling fishing tackle equipment. He always found it a struggle to get ice to keep his freshly caught fish on. Instead of spending his hard earned cash on reusable ice packs for coolers he decided to make his own. He created what he calls the “Polar Bear Tubes”.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I use frozen 2 liter soda-pop bottles all the time, with fresh water. What I like most is: once a bottle "melts" (takes forever), you have fresh water for cooking and drinking before making an "ice run".

Just an alternative thought to buying pvc. But I'm sure the frozen PVC would last a bit longer being it has thicker wall material than the 2 liter bottles. (But might be hard to drink out of. )
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

He took two identical thawed steaks. Placed them in the same cooler. Placed a frozen water bottle over one the other a frozen water bottle with ICE.

I'm confused as hell. Is there such a thing as a frozen water bottle without ice?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
bowtecmike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I use frozen 2 liter soda-pop bottles all the time, with fresh water. What I like most is: once a bottle "melts" (takes forever), you have fresh water for cooking and drinking before making an "ice run".

Just an alternative thought to buying pvc. But I'm sure the frozen PVC would last a bit longer being it has thicker wall material than the 2 liter bottles. (But might be hard to drink out of. )
I use frozen bottled water (12 oz size). I just mix them in with the other bottled water and whatever else I have in the cooler. Keeps things cold, and then you can drink them after a couple days when they're melted enough to drink and you've gone through most of the other bottled water.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtecmike View Post
He took two identical thawed steaks. Placed them in the same cooler. Placed a frozen water bottle over one the other a frozen water bottle with ICE.

I'm confused as hell. Is there such a thing as a frozen water bottle without ice?

lmao I messed up. Ok two thawed steaks, same cooler. One steak had a frozen water bottle. The second steak had a frozen bottle where ice had been dissolved into the water, hence salt water=frozen.

The bottle which had the salt water froze the steak. The other without the salt water bottle did not freeze the steak.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Interesting. I also use juice,water and even clothes detergent bottles frozen solid. I like to see if pvc stuff lasted longer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
Cantcatch5
Ten Point

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post
lmao I messed up. Ok two thawed steaks, same cooler. One steak had a frozen water bottle. The second steak had a frozen bottle where ice had been dissolved into the water, hence salt water=frozen.

The bottle which had the salt water froze the steak. The other without the salt water bottle did not freeze the steak.
LOL I think you missed it again. “Water where ice had been dissolved into water” be...water? I think we followed that you meant salt dissolved into the water. How
Much salt do you put into the water?
Cantcatch5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:29 PM   #8
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
LOL I think you missed it again. “Water where ice had been dissolved into water” be...water? I think we followed that you meant salt dissolved into the water. How
Much salt do you put into the water?
If you dissolve ice into water before freezing it will actually create salt on the outside of the container.

It's science.
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #9
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Gatorade jugs are much tougher and last longer due to their thickness. I use them all the time.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Gatorade jugs are much tougher and last longer due to their thickness. I use them all the time.
This is what I use also. The 16 or 20 oz size.
Katch66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
If you dissolve ice into water before freezing it will actually create salt on the outside of the container.
The only way that you would get salt by dissolving ice into water before freezing is if the ice or the water had salt in it.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #12
nothinbutwelves
Ten Point

Default doah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtecmike View Post
He took two identical thawed steaks. Placed them in the same cooler. Placed a frozen water bottle over one the other a frozen water bottle with IC

i thought i was the only one
nothinbutwelves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #13
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

I generally just freeze regular bottles. I have one freezer that is basically an assortment of different frozen bottles (sizes, shapes, etc.)

I freeze everything from regular drinking water bottles, orange juice jugs, half gallon plastic whiskey bottles, 2 liter coke bottles, etc.
CastAndBlast is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP3 View Post

It's science.
Huh???
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #15
Tubby
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County & The Diamond C!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I use frozen bottled water (12 oz size). I just mix them in with the other bottled water and whatever else I have in the cooler. Keeps things cold, and then you can drink them after a couple days when they're melted enough to drink and you've gone through most of the other bottled water.
This is what I do along with Gatoraid bottles. Keep about a half dozen of each in the freezer and throw a few of each in a cooler when I'm packing it.
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #16
Buck Slayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Tx

Pink himalayan salt, or sea salt?
Buck Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #17
boomerball
Ten Point

I have a bunch of different ice bottles in my freezer, some with salt others fresh. I like the half gallon milk jugs best, the square shape seems to pack nicely, but they will leak quicker than others. do have to be careful with the salt ice .. it will keep cold longer, but have frozen contents of the cooler more than once with them.
boomerball is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #18
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerball View Post
I have a bunch of different ice bottles in my freezer, some with salt others fresh. I like the half gallon milk jugs best, the square shape seems to pack nicely, but they will leak quicker than others. do have to be careful with the salt ice .. it will keep cold longer, but have frozen contents of the cooler more than once with them.
What is the salt to water ratio that you use??
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #19
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

Been using frozen bottles for years in my coolers. I like use the packets that you can add to water to make them into gel to last longer. (Pick them up from TTHA show. Forget which vendor)
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #20
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

A couple of posts on this thread make my head hurt. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
DarrellS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #21
Vwtechal
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Slayer View Post
Pink himalayan salt, or sea salt?
Yeti salt. Don't even have to put it in the freezer
Vwtechal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 09:19 PM   #22
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwtechal View Post
Yeti salt. Don't even have to put it in the freezer
RTIC Salt is half the price. Lasts just as long.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #23
BonesandArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Deep South TX - Starr County

Do I put the salt on the steak or steak in the bottle to freeze it or was it the other way around? I’m totally confused! I keep an assortment of plastic bottles in the deep freeze and half the time I forget to use them.
BonesandArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2018, 12:18 AM   #24
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anderson & Coleman Counties

Salt lowers the freezing point of water allowing the ice to be colder. Same reason you put rock salt in the keg ice or when you make homemade ice cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SKLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2018, 12:38 AM   #25
MadHatter
Ten Point

Man, this thread has me rolling .
Attached Images

MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #26
CEO
Ten Point

I made some of these pvc tubes. I am glad I did it before this thread started because I am confused as hell right now.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #27
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesandArrow View Post
Do I put the salt on the steak or steak in the bottle to freeze it or was it the other way around? I’m totally confused! I keep an assortment of plastic bottles in the deep freeze and half the time I forget to use them.
You put the steak in a blender, blend it down. Then pour it into a bottle. Place bottle in PVC and freeze. When frozen, pull bottle out of PVC, cut bottle away from frozen liquid meat. And place on the grill. Pour tons of salt on frozen meat and start grill. Cook meat till it looks done. Or has dissolved into nothing. If the latter happens, drink more beer and go buy another steak. And try again. Be sure to pick up more beer while buying more steak.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #28
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Quote:

It's science.

I'mma need you to explain this science...
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #29
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Quote:

It's science.
come again?
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #30
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

And this thread is a great example of why I read TBH during the day. I work at home and have no one to amuse me. TBH fills the void nicely and often makes me laugh out loud. Yeti ice, RTIC ice at half the price, adding ice to water makes salt on the outside of the bottle. Can't make this stuff up!
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #31
tonyt79
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

tonyt79 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #32
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:

It's science.
That sounds like magic, not science

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #33
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I have a quite a few of those single use gel packs they include when shipping perishables. They work OK in an ice chest but the plastic is pretty thin and they eventually leak. Maybe I should cut them open and and pour that stuff into a PVC tube - that should work better than just water, right?
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #34
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I have a quite a few of those single use gel packs they include when shipping perishables. They work OK in an ice chest but the plastic is pretty thin and they eventually leak. Maybe I should cut them open and and pour that stuff into a PVC tube - that should work better than just water, right?
Now that is a good idea. I have quite a few of the ones from our Blue Apron trial run. They are quite large to use in their current form.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #35
R Dubya
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKLOSS View Post
Salt lowers the freezing point of water allowing the ice to be colder. Same reason you put rock salt in the keg ice or when you make homemade ice cream.

Good point about lowering the freezing point, however if they are in the same freezer...How can one bottle be colder than the other?

Rock salt for ice cream, lowers the freezing point, resulting in water that is below 32°F. The water will contact more surface area of the drum than the ice, therefore removing more heat, and chilling the liquid inside to a point it becomes ice cream.

I'm still not certain how one steak is frozen and one is not.
R Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 06:42 AM   #36
Rescue1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
Now that is a good idea. I have quite a few of the ones from our Blue Apron trial run. They are quite large to use in their current form.
Yup, that's exactly what I was planning. I had a large number of those bags and they keep popping open. loosing my supply one by one. and that slimy stuff gets everywhere.

its on my to do list now.
Rescue1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 07:43 AM   #37
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anderson & Coleman Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dubya View Post
Good point about lowering the freezing point, however if they are in the same freezer...How can one bottle be colder than the other?

Rock salt for ice cream, lowers the freezing point, resulting in water that is below 32°F. The water will contact more surface area of the drum than the ice, therefore removing more heat, and chilling the liquid inside to a point it becomes ice cream.

I'm still not certain how one steak is frozen and one is not.

Saltwater freezes at a lower temp so the bottle with regular water is going to thaw faster. Think of it this way, the regular water bottle is a fridge set at 32 degrees and the salt water bottle is a freezer set at 25 degrees( or whatever temp salt water freezes at). Is the steak going to thaw faster in the fridge or freezer?

SKLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #38
R Dubya
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKLOSS View Post
Saltwater freezes at a lower temp so the bottle with regular water is going to thaw faster. Think of it this way, the regular water bottle is a fridge set at 32 degrees and the salt water bottle is a freezer set at 25 degrees( or whatever temp salt water freezes at). Is the steak going to thaw faster in the fridge or freezer?

That makes a little more sense, be way more fun to discuss over a campfire
R Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #39
boomerball
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
What is the salt to water ratio that you use??
it all depends what you want the freezing point of the ice to be. I just kind of wing it, but probably get them ~27F typically now. ratio of salted ice to regular ice to other contents as well as temp of the ice and other contents when they go in will all factor in to whether or not you freeze your stuff.
Attached Images

boomerball is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #40
FamousAmos
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason and Menard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post

Me too.
FamousAmos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #41
TP3
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
I'mma need you to explain this science...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
come again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
That sounds like magic, not science

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Obviously not everyone on here understands science.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #42
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

I do not understand science however, I will understand all the looks you will be getting buying a bunch of PVC and end caps. One day I needed some duct tape for work and I was at Lowes checking out in my police uniform. The guy in front of me was buying end caps and PVC. I asked him what he planned on making, he said he was making ice poles. When I said it looks like he was about to make PVC pipe bombs he got really embarrassed... LOL
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #43
tgil
Pope & Young

What I've gained from this thread...I'd like to have a steak and some home made ice cream for dessert!
Carry on!
tgil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #44
bpa556
Eight Point

Hunt In: Terrell County

Quote:
Obviously not everyone on here understands science.

Obviously...

Proofreading helps

bpa556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #45
TP3
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa556 View Post
Obviously...

Proofreading helps

Especially when it comes to science.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #46
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Please, do explain the science behind this, so our brothers have a better educational understanding.

Thanks,
Electro-metallic Fusionist
Old 03-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #47
TP3
Ten Point

You can't explain science.
Either you get it or you don't.

Nobody explained it to Isaac Newton. The Apple fell on his head and then he knew science.

Ben Franklin flew a kite in the thunderstorm. Boom, science happened.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #48
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerball View Post
it all depends what you want the freezing point of the ice to be. I just kind of wing it, but probably get them ~27F typically now. ratio of salted ice to regular ice to other contents as well as temp of the ice and other contents when they go in will all factor in to whether or not you freeze your stuff.
Thank you for the info. I have made two already and got enough caps for an additional 4. At a foot long I found that three of the two inch pvc pipes fit perfect in a Yeti roadie... I made mine with two cups of water and four table spoons of salt for each pipe. At that ratio the water was still sluchy after a complete night in the freezer. I cranked down the temp a bit and will see if they will freeze completely. Have not tested them at the colder temp yet.

The initial test with the two pipes was better than I expected. I loaded the yeti with four bottles of water out of the fridge and added two room temp. bottles. I drank water through out the day saving the bottles that started of warm for last. After twelve hours the first of the warm bottle waters was very cold. After about 22 hours the last bottle of water was still very cool/cold. More importantly while the pvc pipes sweated a bit there was no visible water on the bottom of the cooler.

All in all I would not use this to keep beer cold but it's a great way to keep water and lunch cooled down without having to use ice.

Last edited by Pedernal; 03-04-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #49
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
You can't explain science.
Either you get it or you don't.

Nobody explained it to Isaac Newton. The Apple fell on his head and then he knew science.

Ben Franklin flew a kite in the thunderstorm. Boom, science happened.
OK,....
Old 03-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #50
TWarren
Four Point

Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico

Adding salt to water in order to lower the freezing point is not necessarily a gain because it reduces the specific heat, or the amount of energy required to increase the mass of a substance 1° C.

In essence, salt water, while initially at a lower temperature, melts faster than pure water.

I'm no physicist so I'm probably butchering the definitions but it's worth pondering.
TWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top