My first axis buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first axis buck

We have had our place in rocksprings for 2 years now. Prior to hunting it I had never hunted axis deer. To say I was in for a surprise is an understatement! These deer are super alert, and tough to get into bow range.

Bow hunting is my passion, but I'm not ashamed to carry a rifle. When I do though, I have a hard time sitting in the blind......especially when it's hot. The last several trips I have been stalking them with my .308, and have had pretty good luck finding them,& getting in range. I walk real slow, taking 5 or so steps, then stop and glass, all the while staying close to cover. The shot opportunity just has not been there each time. I always find someway to screw it up, but It's cat & mouse at its finest, & I absolutely love it!

Anyway.......Saturday evening I was whopped from walking all day,for the last few days. So I decided to sit in a blind over water hole, & feeder, with my .308. I sat for 3 hours, and sweated my butt off! About 20 mins before dark, I threw in the towel. "I'm done" I thought. So I get down and go lock a gate that's about 100yds away that I don't plan on going thru again before we leave. I lock the gate, and turn around to head to the Zuik. Standing in the road. 200 yds on the opp side of the blind, are 3 big bodied deer! Game on baby! I quietly slipped back to the blind, & found a steady rest on the 5' tower. It turns out to be 3 good bucks! I picked a big one out real quick, and it was over quicker than it had started!

He ran 30 yds, and piled up! Fortunately, my uncle was there to help take pics, & load him up. I'm so gratefull for that.

Here's the pic....
    29"

Good lookin buck, congrats!!!

Comment

Ain't no shame in that game!
      Congrats on a great trophy AND some of the best meat you'll ever put on your table!

Comment

will be a pretty mount right there

Comment

Beautiful animal! I hope to get a chance at one soon! Have always wanted an Axis mount and meat in the freezer! Congratulations!!!!

Comment

Great buck congrats

Comment

Nice one, congrats!

Comment

Dandy axis buck ! Congrats to you !

Comment

Awesome buck and awesome pic

Comment

Congrats on a great looking Axis Phillip!

Comment

Beautiful. Congrats, he will make a fine mount.

Comment

That`s super cool and some of the best eating you will ever put across your lips . Congrats . They also make beautiful mounts .

Comment

My first axis buck

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
                          Awesome buck and awesome pic
                          Thanks. We are framing pics of all the kills, & hanging them up in the camp house.

I had my uncle us my iPhone, & turn off the flash. We hit the LED's on the Zuik, he got down low, & this was the best one. Next go round, I'll make sure to have an all black background, as there was too much reflection on the tree. Woulda been a little better if I had moved right a few feet. It's a fine art taking pics with a camera phone.

Comment

Great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Wow! Nice!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X