No announcement yet.

Matagroda what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know some guys that dove hunt the beach and hog hunt out there. I don't see why you couldn't shoot some clays. Go to pluggers if you want to see the local drunks. lol. River bend is over priced and slow. Go to snappers.

Comment

Y'all are approaching Riverbend all wrong. Show up, order food and a pitcher drink beer and play pool while food is being cooked. If food takes longer drink more beer

Comment

Matagroda what to do

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
        Y'all are approaching Riverbend all wrong. Show up, order food and a pitcher drink beer and play pool while food is being cooked. If food takes longer drink more beer

Last time I was there we waited 30 minutes and no one even took our drink order we left

Comment

If you plan on duck hunting sunday morning on the south shore line of east bay, i have had good luck out on the edge of cains cove and by hog island. you can drive your truck down the beach and walk, there used to be some blinds out there. You will most likely all get your 2 redheads and maybe some other speices. I did shoot a couple of bufflehead (1 drake, 1 hen) i still regret not getting that drake mounted!!! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon1574 View Post
            If you can make it through the horrible service unless something has changed since last year
            Been there a few times. First time it took three hours to get our food. Last time the waitress dumped a full pitcher of tea down my wife's back. They were nice enough to give her a shirt to wear, then told us we had to pay for it or give it back when we were leaving.

Comment

Don't waste your time going to Bay City

Comment

See if Lisa, no wait she moved. Try Angie ahh no she died. You can see if Allison, no she moved too. But then it's been 35 years

You'll need to call the Matagorda County SO and ask them about shooting on the beach.

Comment

Poco Playa is a joke. Riverbend is good if you have patience. It's never fast. That's basically Matagorda is a nutshell. Maybe head over to Pluggers. Not much in Bay City either. Best I can recommend there is 12 Strings.

Comment

There was a place called matagordaville years back that was fun w a big group. Also river bend is ok, the CFCs or burger are safe. I would not drive to bay city or Victoria. Have your beers in town and be careful.

I would ask lots of questions before I shot my gun on the beach.

Comment

There was a place called matagordaville years back that was fun w a big group. Also river bend is ok, the CFCs or burger are safe. I would not drive to bay city or Victoria. Have your beers in town and be careful.

I would ask lots of questions before I shot my gun on the beach.

Comment

Y'all might wanna bring some board games.

Comment

You can always drive over to Port O'Connor and sit in the bleachers at Port O'Connor fishing center or Clarks or whatever they call it now just at dark and watch the madhouse at the boat ramp. If there happened to be a tournament going on, it can be quite entertaining watching all the "reel fishermen" mix it up with the weekenders...

Comment

I am a local and hang out in Matagorda a bunch. I like Riverbend and have been eating there since I was a kid. Yes, it is slow. Has been for many years. Plan on it taking an hour to get your food. As stated above, go in and have a couple cold beers and relax. If you are in a hurry go elsewhere. The food is usually good.

Waterfront is good. Craig owned Seabreeze before he opened the Waterfront, he has been cooking seafood a long time. They do a good job and I eat there regularly. Good food and good service.

Poco Playa is the new spot. I have had really good food there and really bad food there. It just seems to vary for me. I go there when someone else in the group really wants to go there but otherwise I tend to go elsewhere. They have a bar and that draws in quite a few folks, I think.

Spoonbills and Snappers are the other two options. You could run into Bay City if you wanted something other than seafood and burgers. As said above 12 strings is the popular watering hole in Bay City but I have never been there, I don't usually go out to drink. I think they draw in a pretty diverse group.

If you will drive at least 3 or 4 miles down the beach you could shoot skeet on the beach. Better yet drive back in 3 mile and set up. You can hunt the marsh down there too. Noone will say anything to you. Just be smart and don't set up too close to other folks. This time of year you shouldn't have trouble finding some elbow room. I have never had anyone say anything to me about shooting down the beach, but I don't stop and shoot near other people and I generally go at least 6 or 8 miles down if I am going to shoot. Just be very careful.

Comment

if you like history, check out the old cemetery on the left as you come into town.
                              there is some really old graves there, at least one person (if I remember correctly) was one of the original signers of the Texas declaration of independence; along with a few other noteable people in Texas' history.

Comment

Working...
                              X