Dust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dust!

We are hunting out west near Electra Tx. The dust is crazy. Everything gets coated with a very fine layer of dust. It gets all up in every crack and crevice. I have a Polaris Ranger Crew we use to get around the property. Even driving slow on the trails and roads doesn’t help much with the dust issue.

Long story short I’m looking for ideas on how to keep the guns protected from dust mainly while on the Ranger. What type of systems are you using to protect and transport your guns? Currently I have stirrups mounted and the guns are exposed. We like to keep a gun or two ready in case we seen something while on the ranger. But I’m thinking I’m ready for more protection. It’s crazy how much dust we are dealing with. Any ideas for a dust free system for the UTV?

I'd just put them in a hard case. Not just because of dust but also if they were ever to take a spill out of the vehicle they'd be less likely to be hurt afterwards.
    Last edited by okrattler; 12-03-2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I know exactly what you are dealing with. That red dust out there is the one of the major reasons I ditched side x sides/atv's and went to a jeep cherokee for lease rides. Only thing that I found that will work is a Pelican case with real seals. Dust will get into everything else.

Comment

We have the very same situation out at Menard. After staying several days during Thanksgiving, all of my rifles were terrible. As soon as I got home, I dug around in my emails and found a GunsAmerica Digest that had some rifle covers. Turns out they were being sold by Solo Hunter (Pretty sure they have a hunting show on TV). I ordered 4. Two for me & 2 for brother-in-law's Christmas present. Ordered on Monday and they were delivered by Thursday. I was worried by the product description that they would noisy due to the cordura construction, but when I opened them up, they seem soft to the touch. They have a long strip of elastic that in the resting position keeps them scrunched up, but stretches out when on the rifle. I haven't tried them out in the field yet, but I think they will be a big help. And they were only about $30 each.

Comment

Same issue...

where I hunt in Val Verde and Terrell County. Even when I hunted north of Van Horn, the dust permeated everything. And we were hunting out of an enclosed CJ 7! I currently use a UTV double gun case mounted to the back of the UTV cab. It's a little slow if I need to get to my rifle quickly, but it keeps the dust out.

One drawback is the mice. Someone left one of the zippered rifle openings unzipped. While it sat in the shed for a month between hunts, the mice got in the top scabbard with some corn. Now, every time i use the bottom part of the scabbard I have to check my barrel and action to make sure I don't have corn pieces in the barrel.

I brought it home a while back and vacuumed it out. That was a PITA too.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
            where I hunt in Val Verde and Terrell County. Even when I hunted north of Van Horn, the dust permeated everything. And we were hunting out of an enclosed CJ 7! I currently use a UTV double gun case mounted to the back of the UTV cab. It's a little slow if I need to get to my rifle quickly, but it keeps the dust out.

One drawback is the mice. Someone left one of the zippered rifle openings unzipped. While it sat in the shed for a month between hunts, the mice got in the top scabbard with some corn. Now, every time i use the bottom part of the scabbard I have to check my barrel and action to make sure I don't have corn pieces in the barrel.

I brought it home a while back and vacuumed it out. That was a PITA too.

Dang mice can be a pain!

I take it your double case a soft case?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McGaughey View Post
              We have the very same situation out at Menard. After staying several days during Thanksgiving, all of my rifles were terrible. As soon as I got home, I dug around in my emails and found a GunsAmerica Digest that had some rifle covers. Turns out they were being sold by Solo Hunter (Pretty sure they have a hunting show on TV). I ordered 4. Two for me & 2 for brother-in-law's Christmas present. Ordered on Monday and they were delivered by Thursday. I was worried by the product description that they would noisy due to the cordura construction, but when I opened them up, they seem soft to the touch. They have a long strip of elastic that in the resting position keeps them scrunched up, but stretches out when on the rifle. I haven't tried them out in the field yet, but I think they will be a big help. And they were only about $30 each.

Thank you! Is this what you are talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by russcat View Post
                Dang mice can be a pain!

I take it your double case a soft case?

Yes, but its got some pretty thick padding. I sprayed it down with silicone spray a couple of times to keep the water out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	91Gmkzkeq2L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	24522374

Comment

Buy AR10, load, close dust cover, done. If scoped, add scope caps, done.

I don't really like ARs for hunting, but they do have some advantages

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                    Yes, but its got some pretty thick padding. I sprayed it down with silicone spray a couple of times to keep the water out.

[ATTACH]886624[/ATTACH]

Thanks. Where did you buy that?

Comment

We hunt south of Electra. Dust, wow is it dry. Not a trace of rain for November in Wichita Falls.And very little in September and October. One of our guys said last weekend. It looked like N. Korea had been testing their bombs at our place.

The only solution to get rid of dust is rain!!

The best I can tell about reducing dust in a utv. Is remove the doors and windshield and let the air flow thru. Our 2 new fancy mules and rangers have doors and windshields and it is like a dust storm inside them. My old 2006 model mule has neither and there is very little dust in the cab.

For rifles just buy a cheap zip up case and hope for the best. Bow, I carry my hard bow case in the back.

You can't stop it!

Comment

Thank you! Is this what you are talking about?
                        https://solohntr.com/product-categor.../rifle-covers/
                        Yes. That's it.

Comment

Quit driving around in vehicles, walk everywhere, minimal dust-problem solved.

Comment

Thanks. Where did you buy that?

I've had that for about 10 years now and can't remember where I bought it. I think Quad gear is the name.

Comment

It's dust. Keep scope lenses covered and rock on. Quality equipment will be fine. I've had guns so full of sand you'd spend an hour cleaning it after chasing mule deer. Killed just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X