bringing back a little of the past...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bringing back a little of the past...

By buddy lives out on a ranch here in NB. Part of his family's place. The house he lives in used to be his grandparents' house and dates back to the early 1900's (1903 I think). They have remodeled the house, but have kept much of the original farm house intact (ceilings, fireplaces, porches, etc.)

One thing that got demo'd was the entire exterior of the house. When it went, the front porch light and "door bell" was cut off and discarded. I found it about 3 weeks ago when we were out shooting at his junkpile. It was sitting there, still attached to the original board (old paint could still be seen.)

I asked him if I could have it...he said "sure" and he cut the board off right below the "door bell". I've since then been working on restoring and rewiring the light. I ordered a new ceramic socket, and rayon wire, and a bakelite plug...because it's going inside our house as a hanging lamp. It's not 100% complete because I still have to build a bracket so it can be hung on the wall, but the front side is finished. I didn't touch the bell other than lube it a little. Will put the string back in it as a final touch.

no "before" pics, oops.

here's how it turned out.

I sent my buddy pics and offered it back to him, since it came off the original house.
    He was happy to let me keep it.

My wife and I are tickled. Gonna go in the kitchen by the kitchen table.

It has an inline switch, and matches the decor of out house perfectly.

Comment

...and the workbench is CLEAN now since those pics were taken.

Comment

it was amazing how hard that pine was. Old heartwood. drill bit was smokin.

Comment

Great job! That turned out really neat and has a story to go with it.

Comment

That's cool.

Comment

Comment

Nice to many things have gone to the scrap pile

Comment

Man ide have to put it by your front door where it knows how to live. Cool story.

Comment

great find

Comment

Very cool, good job restoring it

Comment

Cool!

Comment

Working...
                        X