Still struggling with arrow tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still struggling with arrow tuning

My new longbow pulls about 48# at my draw length. I'm using 500 spine Beman MFX arrows which according to the chart - a Beman chart specifically for that arrow - is the proper spine. I've tried tip weight combinations (insert plus field point) from 150 to 250gr. I started with full length shafts and eventually cut them down as short as I can get away with. I don't see any way these shafts could be weak. But when shot - with every combination- the nock end whips wildy to the left before straightening out. I thought it might be a form/release flaw but I went back and shot my other bow and the arrows fly straight. Any suggestions of what I should try next?

How tight is the nock fit?

Comment

Ride down to mikes with me when I go next sat. He will fix u right up

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        I'll sure try.. John you're welcome to come down with JT, I have plenty of room in the truck...

Comment

Might double check your brace height and nock point

Comment

Arrow tuning is a royal pain.

Comment

Let us know what you figure out when you get it dialed in. I have nearly the exact bow specs that you have but I shoot easton axis 400's cut to 30 3/4" (BOP to throat of nock) with 175 grain points and standard HIT inserts. They put absolutely perfect holes through paper. I tried some beman 500's cut to 30" when I was tuning that put great holes in paper but I can't remember with 100% certainty whether I was using 175 or 125 points. I'd have to shoot them to find out.

What is your nock height set at? That was my biggest problem when I was trying to tune those small diameter arrows. I shoot three under and most of my setups have 1/2" nock heights but for some reason I had to go up 9/16" with the small diameter arrows on my recurve.
              Last edited by EnW; 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

You are way too heavy up front for a 500 spine go down to 125 and if you have a fast flight string you might even have to go to 100 grain points.

Comment

It can be frustrating, been there. As others have stated it could be your nock point. Arrow may be kicking off shelf. Brace height could be contributing to it as well. There are so many things that need to come together to make it shoot right it's easy to get off track. I went thru the bare shaft planing method several times before all the pieces came together for me. BTW, my bare shafts still kick left(actually 10-11 oclock) in flight but hit with my fletched arrows. 165gr Sharks hit with field tips too. If you can't make it down to see Mike, I'd be more than happy to help. Just let me know.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                    Arrow tuning is a royal pain.
                    Yup, it stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                      How tight is the nock fit?
                      They started out too tight so I ran some sandpaper through them a few times. They now come off when you tap the string

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                      Might double check your brace height and nock point
                      Nock point was a little high but now I think I've got that part right. When I shoot through paper from about 6 feet away I'm consistently getting a perfectly horizontal tear - nock left - of about 2 1/2 inches.

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                      Might have to do that if I can get some plans rearranged - thanks for the offer!

Comment

John, if this weekend is better for you I will be home all weekend..

Comment

Hi John,
                          I'm not a lot of help in this department, but I have close to the same set up. In my Beman 500's I have a 100 grain brass insert and a 175 grain point, for a total of 275 grains up front. I shoot these arrows from both of my longbows and one is 45# and the other one is 49#. It sounds like we are close and the only difference is I had to lower my brace height a couple of twist on the 49# bow. You might just try a little more weight in the front end, because mine fly true with this set up.
                          Ron

Comment

I think you need to move to about 10-12 yards on your paper test. At 6 feet I don't think anyone can shoot a perfect hole with a finger release. The arrow does not have time to stabilize out of a trad bow, or for that matter a compound bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                              In my Beman 500's I have a 100 grain brass insert and a 175 grain point, for a total of 275 grains up front. I shoot these arrows from both of my longbows and one is 45# and the other one is 49#. It sounds like we are close and the only difference is I had to lower my brace height a couple of twist on the 49# bow. You might just try a little more weight in the front end, because mine fly true with this set up.
                              Ron
                              Thanks Ron. You are about the 5th person (including Javi and Bob S) who have told me that with my setup a 500 with lots of weight up front should fly true. Since it's not working for me (even with much less weight up front) I'm beginning to think that the faulty variable in this equation is me Maybe my release is squirrely and kicking the nock left. Hopefully I can go see Mike and he can "fix me".

Comment

Working...
                              X