No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because there are no hogs at Granger. Just think you could have been sitting there over that corn pile for how long now? Just to see nothing.

Comment

I went out this morning to Pecan Grove Unit and when I was headed across the dam I saw to pretty good sized black hogs about 100 to 150 pounds coming out of the weeds across one of the trails. It was just after sunrise around 7:45 but by the time I got out there, seemed like everything was gone except for the deer.

I saw a beautiful 10 point buck coming out of the same weeds along with several fawn and doe.

Didnt see anything in San Gabriel either. Think I am gonna stay in Pecan Grove for a while, I am seeing a lot of sign in several areas.

Comment

baits at sore finger untouched also.

Comment

saw 2 at "the spot" saterday

Comment

get any shots at em?

Comment

Question, anyone have a 'Granger' needed items list for those of us who have never been out....

IE, what do YOU take with you when you go out on a spot/stalk run at Granger...???

Comment

Camelbak Hawg with water, flashlight, powerbars, knife or two or three, orange color, license and public hunting permit; blanket, rope and tarp just in case I decide to spend the night.

Comment

Hunting license & public lands permit, orange vest & cap, bow/arrows, binoculars, super-ears, compass, cell-phone, knife, water, 20 ft rope (for hanging and bleeding if I get lucky), blanket, insect repellent, flashlight, baggie of corn, maps, mountain bike.

Comment

I still haven't figured out the bike and snagging something bit....so, what do you do if you bike out and say whack a pig...pull the loins and hind quarters and leave the rest for buzzards?

Comment

you could or also you could field dress and place hog over seat. Seat riding on the cavity and front leggs tied to handle bars and walk him out. Alot easier to push a bike than drag a hog. I would only get the loins and rear hams if it was of any size.let me know when you are ready blacksunshine. I found some good spots and ran in to a ton of them the other night. It was actually kinda scary cause we knew they were comeing out but not sure where. Just heard the crazhing thru the woods getting louder, and closer. Made the mistake of trying to get further down wind from them and cut them off in the woods. If we would of stayed put they would of come out 15 yards up wind from us. Two waves of them. Some big ol pigs out there for sure. GPS tracked 13 miles total for the day. It was a long long walk and scouting trip. Found out the hard way leave the way you came. Atleast untill you know your way around. Some areas are just not crossiable in pecan grove. its a lot bigger than it seems

Comment

holy #@$%@#$!!!

13 miles?

Comment

I carry my backpack that has straps for my bow to attach, makes hiking a little easier. In the backpack I have 10 feet of rope, 1 wyoming knife and 1 6" fixed blade knife, granola bars, spare bike tubes for the days I actually take the bike out, hand warmers, hunting license and APH permit, orange vest, binoculars, flashlight and spare batteries, and my GPS. I dont always use the GPS but when i know I'm gonna be going on a long scout it really helps to be able to drop waypoints in the areas i want to get back to and avoid the areas I dont want to get to.

Dirtymike, that is awesome and sounds exciting. I tried to PM you this weekend but cant until I get 15 posts, but let me know if you are going out this coming weekend would love to tag along if that's OK.

Comment

I take my bow/arrows, water, snacks, flashlight, wallet(with permit) baggie of corn, and knife.

I never worry about what to do if I shoot one. Thats never a problem LOL.

Comment

Pm me when you can. I may be gone this weekend on a dove hunt. Hopefully. If not then I will try and get out there again. But I sure the hell do not want to go for another all afternoon and night walk with a backpack full of crap.

Comment

I hear you on that one. I walked about 6 miles with my backpack that happened to have a bottle of hog jam in it plus all of the other stuff on Saturday, I think this spot and stalk thing is gonna get me in good shape.

Comment

Working...
                                X