Weather just won't cooperate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather just won't cooperate

I've got a buck that will likely be the biggest I've ever killed coming in on pretty consistent basis, and the weather just won't let me hunt the spot. Seems like every weekend it's hot and a west wind. After the weekend, cold front with north wind. West wind blows straight to the feeder, and I'm scared to death of blowing this buck out by winding me. With there being no other options of setting up, I'm at the mercy of mother nature. It's driving me crazy! Do I just wait and hope it gives me a break one weekend, or try my luck?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Can’t hang a new set mid day?

Comment

No way to make a brush blind anywhere are get on his trail with some hand corn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wait! And have a second set next year on the same spot. I usually always try to have a second set on the same spot just in case, unless I'm hunting a cross wind which I like the most.

Comment

That is a beast. Good luck!

Comment

Wait for the correct conditions. I am in the same position, the one time I had the correct wind I took an 8pt. Be patient and wait.

Comment

Definitely wait. You have a month of season left, conditions will change.

Or, just take off during the week. Simple solution!

Comment

I'm in a lone oak that somehow survived the fire on a small hill. Dense regrowth all around me. With the topography and understory, a new set is literally impossible without major clearing. That scares me too

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

All depends on how much time you have. Plus patterns will change as the rut kicks in. I take the opposite approach... matter of fact, I'm only 16' up and have had bucks directly down wind that did not wind me. Make sure you have no soap (including deodorant) and if you think your cloths have soap scent then smoke them over an open fire. What most folks don't understand or believe is it is the artificial scent we put on ourselves that the deer mostly smell. Good luck whatever you decide.

Comment

Get smoked out and go hunt. I played the wind game all last season but changed it up this year with good success. If I have a north/east wind, I just hunt it. If I have a south/west wind, I fill my charcoal Chimney Starter with moss and small twigs and add a lil smoke flavor to my cloths. I'm also hunting out of a pop up so that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                      Get smoked out and go hunt. I played the wind game all last season but changed it up this year with good success. If I have a north/east wind, I just hunt it. If I have a south/west wind, I fill my charcoal Chimney Starter with moss and small twigs and add a lil smoke flavor to my cloths. I'm also hunting out of a pop up so that helps.
                      I had a set up like solo describes. I hunted safe for several weekends. The last weekend I had to hunt I got aggressive and hunted the spot even though I had bad wind. I liked my buck that sit!!
                      Last edited by The Insurance Guy; 12-02-2018, 02:59 PM. Reason: .

Comment

I'm in the same boat---but I need the north wind to keep my scent out of the bedding area. Tomorrow, Tuesday, and Wednesday may do it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                          I'm in the same boat---but I need the north wind to keep my scent out of the bedding area. Tomorrow, Tuesday, and Wednesday may do it!!!
                          Ain't it fun being retired ? I hunted this morning, but I'm also hunting Monday and Tuesday on my "N wind only" spot.

Comment

I had 10 does come thru this morning, they hung around for minute or two but a dang red bird kept pecking on the blind roof or he would fly into the side of the blind making all kinds of noise. I aint going this evening, hanging out at the house.
                            Lot of acorns on the ground but deer have been hanging in the food plots at night.

Comment

Working...
                            X