Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attn Kingwood & surrounding area SHNF hunters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attn Kingwood & surrounding area SHNF hunters!

Howdy,

Just wondering if there was any interest in meeting somehwere in the Kingwood area and discuss the possibility of sharing information on the SHNF. I have been bow hunting the SHNF for 4 years and have a few good spots (nothing on a pipeline), I was out today and will probably be going back soon. Considering the size of the forest I thought we all might benefit by working together.

Just a thought, if interested pm me an we can talk about it.

Thanks,

Joe

P.M. sent.

Comment

I haven't heard from you. Oh I guess you were just looking for free honey holes.

Comment

Wrong. I sent you a pm, said I couldn't make it, MAYBE this weekend. That obviously didn't work out.

Yeah right, just looking for free honey holes!! LOL, now that is funny!

Comment

Just makin sure your still out there. Whats your schedule looking like this next week.

Comment

I live in Spring but really closer to Humble, have hunted SHNF for about 8 years mainly on the east side. I have shot 2 decent bucks and a few spikes, and filled out my doe tag every year. I have seen some really nice bucks missed one and could not get a shot at the other. I have a buddy that has some land that is surounded by public land on the west side across the road from Little Creek Wilderness, going to try more on that side this year, but it is a little futher from home. Would be interested in talking about hunting with you guys, hunt with my brother a lot but he doesent always want to go. It would be nice to know a few other guys out there. Never know when you might need some help. I have been reading forum for a few years but this is my first time to post.

Comment

My main reason forstarting this thread was to get in touch with fellow local area hunters who actively scout in the SHNF. I have bowhunted here (Coldsprings)for about 4 years, seen some good bucks but have not had a clear shot. If any one is interested we could meet and discuss our strategies. My thoughts are that if 3 or 4 of us went out on our own identified some good areas and shared the information our chance of would improve. Most hunters are nervous about sharing this info, and for good reason. Working your rear off to find some high deer traffic area and then to share that info with someone is not as dedicated can be frustrating. Perhaps an agreement that any spot identified by a hunter would be that hunters spot, no one in the group could hunt there unless permission was first given.

This is just a thought, it may be naive on my part to think this would work. However public hunting can be tough, no ATV, no feeders, wild dogs, not too mention the possibility of hunting 30 feet away from another hunter can make things very challenging. If a few honest, ethical hunters who are commited to scouting, pooled their efforts I think it would pay dividends. Maybe.

Let me know your thoughts.

Joe

Comment

I have hunted the Coldspring area alot mainly south of there. When I first started I hunted off of Fostria road in a clear cut, it was good for a few years, there was an oak patch between two clearings, it was a natural draw. But more and more people discovered it and it became overcrowded. I got me an old bike and started riding futher into the woods to get away from the crowds. Going to try more during the week this year instead of weekends. Will be doing some scouting this weekend, would be glad to talk about some spots with yall. There are deer everywhere, the main thing that I have found out is just putting in the time and effort, if your there sooner or later you will see something. What do you think about the antler restrictions, I am glad to see it, to many people shoot anything they see. I thing it will give more bucks time to mature.

Comment

I am in full support of the antler restictions. THere are some good genetics in that area, however the deer have to make it to 3 and 4 years old to get any growth.

I have a mountain bike and can easily spend an entire day there without getting to all the spots I want. The biggest challenge for me is to not be dripping with sweat by the time I get to my hunting spot. After riding my bike for 2 miles I sure I am smelling up the woods.

I like the FM2666 area however there is no water there. I had a camera out for 2 weeks, only got pictures of nocturnal hogs, so I have moved it to another place, hopefully this is the spot.

If you would like to pm with contact info we can talk. If work allows I will be there Friday, my weekends have gotten very busy lately.

Comment

My buddy started teaching me how to hunt East Texas in the SHNF. However he passed away. Now I have met another guy that is from Alabama and he is used to hunting this type area. We have been scouting for several weeks...but not near Kingwood. We live in Katy and hunt near Huntsville. I sure could use some pointers and would be interested in anything you guys have to offer. I have not had a lease in the last 5 years or so and have hunted the SHNF just a few time. Mostly because the two guys that I can hunt with can't go all the times that I can. If anyone wants to get together let me know.

Comment

I mainly hunt scrapes and rubs, they are not hard to find and usually on and under yopine trees, but sometimes you will find them on different tree. They are mostly on fire breaks, but sometimes you will them in on game trails or even just out in the middle of nowhere. But trying to figure out where they are coming from is hard to, sometimes it just seems like they will appear like magic. I have seem them come out of the thickest brush without making a sound. Getting off the ground seems to help also, during bow season I use old ladders to make a lean to stands, but during gun season I use my tree climbing stand and try to go up about 30 feet. The deer also seem to use the same trees year after year. There are some food plots also but but there usually over crowded, also try ponds they all need water.

Comment

Working...
                      X