Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334284138.300893.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	24895627Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334284176.066837.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	24895628Boiling this guy for a euro mount. I really want it to be as white as possible. Any and all info will be appreciated. Thanks

I'm no expert but boil it slow till the meat all cooks off and clean it and put it in hydrogine peroxide to "bleach" it for about 12 hours. Don't use actual bleach it can damage the skull

Comment

After you get all meat and flesh off and you have a clean skull, go to beauty supply store and buy a couple of bottles of 40% peroxide cream. Apply with brush 2 or 3 times and you will have a completely white skull. Key is starting with a clean skull.

Comment

To have a properly cleaned skull that will stay white forever, you have to properly degrease it. That could take quite a while. I'm working on 2 hogs going on 3 months now for customers that are degreasing. I don't recommend actually boiling, a simmer is better on the bone in the long run.

You will probably have to change the water out a couple of times at least while getting the meat off. I would suggest once you have that done, get some clear dawn soap and put it in and in the same hot simmer return the skull for 10 minutes or so to pull out grease. Let it dry and and give it some time, you will have grease spots show up. Repeat the process with dawn.

Good luck....

Comment

Should I suspend the skull in water or let it sink to the bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
            Should I suspend the skull in water or let it sink to the bottom?
            Just put the skull in. You should be able to get that in a 5gal bucket and put a lid on it. Set it out somewhere where it gets sunlight most of the day and will keep the water warm somewhat. Masceration works well and also starts the degreasing process as well. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
                I've heard these help the masceration process along very well.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIEBEPMCMAA
                Negative....those heaters will get to hot and kill the bacteria you are wanting to have for the masceration process.

Stick it in the water and don't add anything else to it. You'll have to let it sit for several days, possibly weeks. You may have to pour it all out and do again as well. Watch for teeth when you empty the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Tick View Post
                  Negative....those heaters will get to hot and kill the bacteria you are wanting to have for the masceration process.

Stick it in the water and don't add anything else to it. You'll have to let it sit for several days, possibly weeks. You may have to pour it all out and do again as well. Watch for teeth when you empty the water.
                  Ive done this before too.... I got "most" of the meat off and put it in a bucket of water... I left it for 2-3 months adding water as it needed.... WHAT A NASTY STINKY MESS!!!!!! Oh man its worse than anything ever!!! I didnt eat anything that day... I dont have any pics of that one but I clear coated it (spray paint) and its in my dads office at work... Makes my stomach hurt thinking about it. GROSS!!!

I buried the next one, and then started (simmering) them... by far simmering is the fastest and only stinks for a little bit. But if you have zero time to deal with it stick it in a bucket...

I asked my taxi about doing two pig skulls for me this year... He said NO WAY... I have one that needs to be done something with setting in the shed after the coyotes picked her clean at the lease... Good reminder!

Comment

Your neighbors are gonna love you for the next few months. A buddy was trying to save a few bucks and let the ants remove the skull meat for him. I didn't think I had to tell him to skin the head first. Dang... that stank up the place bad!!!

Comment

I posted a thread on euro mounts before, search my threads there's ALOT of good info on it!!

Comment

I did a DIY Euro Tutorial on here and this will get you a nice white skull if you follow the steps but also follow what I'll add to it below. There's a lot of grease to be removed from a hog vs. deer.
                        I'll urge you before the skull touches anything is to remove as much meat and tissue but also the eyes and brain. The more prep work you can do before will result in a much easier, quicker, and most of all, better finished product. If you go the boiling route, don't boil but simmer @ 225 degrees. Use A&H backing soda and Dawn liquid dish washing soap. Don't use generic as Dawn's cleaning properties are better for grease leaching.

When finished removing all of the meat in the simmering process, take a hard bristled brush (carwash type) and put some dawn on the bristles. Scrub the heck out of the skull everywhere. Dunk in clean hot soapy water and repeat again several times of brushing and dunking. You can rub your finger across the skull and feel where it's rough and smooth. Scrub the smooth areas until it becomes rough. Slick=grease.

Once you get to the desired feel, let completely dry before adding your Volume 40. Cake that stuff on and wrap in Saran Wrap and put it next to a heat source. If it's hot outside, put it out there. Heat is the key ingredient to activate the Whitening Cream. Leave as long as you like. If you feel like it, after a couple of hours, you can reapply if you want that added reassurance.

Comment

Working...
                        X