Wifi range extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi range extender

Looking for something to mount on the exterior of the house and boost wifi so we get coverage over most of our 2ac yard. Any recommendations?

Just bought a Netgear dual band so my Ring outdoor security camera would work above my garage. Got it off Amazon. It seems to work okay, but it appears to not be doing the job as well as I think it should. The live or download for the camera video just seems slow and jerky. I will call them when I get back from vacation.

Comment

You could put a broadcast type AP outside, like a ubiquiti nsm5, would have to run a cat5e drop out to it though. A range extender can work but will cut speeds in half. Best bet would be run the drop, then get a regular wireless router out there, you will still be limited to the mobile devices range with either of these though.

Comment

Nothing is going to do 2 acres without costing way more than you want to spend. Google home wifi has one of the stronger signals out there. It's a mesh network so you don't have to switch between devices. No speed loss either. It needs to be inside though not out in the elements.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Just bought a Netgear dual band so my Ring outdoor security camera would work above my garage. Got it off Amazon. It seems to work okay, but it appears to not be doing the job as well as I think it should. The live or download for the camera video just seems slow and jerky. I will call them when I get back from vacation.
          Randy they will send you a Ring Chime pro extender free or at least they did me. Give support a call.

Comment

Those cheap little ones are useless. There are plenty online that will do it for around $100. The problem as KD said is your device. Most have to be within 100' of the router, if no obstruction. Some of these Wifi repeaters will work over large area, but really only realistic from building to building. Like if you have a barn or detached garage.

Comment

I bought this one so my wifi sprinkler timer would work in the detached garage. Does what I want it todo. Not sure it will cover 2 acres.

Comment

if you are looking for buying a new Wifi range extender you have to check this link https://www.colereview.com/best-wifi-extender/

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  Randy did you reach out to Ring? They sent me a Ring extender for free when I talked with them about it being slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                    Randy did you reach out to Ring? They sent me a Ring extender for free when I talked with them about it being slow.
                    Bill, they charge for them now. I relocated my router and modem to my living room (more in the center of my house) and therefore reduced the distance from the router to the Ring unit...made all the difference. I still have the net hear WiFi extender in use. Just got an alert and a red wasp was on my camera!

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                      I bought this one so my wifi sprinkler timer would work in the detached garage. Does what I want it todo. Not sure it will cover 2 acres.

I have the same one. It's works well but I don't think it'll cover 2 acres.

Comment

I have had good luck with these

Plugs into your 110 electrical wall plug

Cable to router
                        Put the other in your detached garage

Cable to it

Hardwire option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X