ABC Bowhunting Ranch - San Saba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABC Bowhunting Ranch - San Saba

I hunted this place over Feb 2 weekend and I have to tell you........

Top notch, this is the perfect ranch for some almost guaranteed meat hogs. If you're a first time bow hunter, want to get your kids or spouse on some hogs and let some arrows fly, this is your place.

We were so comfortable at the campsite which had 2 bed/2bath, washer/dryer, smoker, grill, fire ring, picnic tables covered pavillion and gazebo over the grill, golf cart for your hunting use, stands, feeders and some with on-demand feeders, with one rigged for night time spot lights.

All hunters this hunt had shot opportunities, skinning racks, with wash pit, cutting/skinning table and the owner will even help you make sausage and will provide the seasoning and casing for your processing.

This was my girlfriends first time hunt experience and she loved the scenary and the comforts of her own home. A super family setting, and definite win for the younger hunters looking to harvest their first hog or just the average hunter who wants to put some meat on the ground.

We will definitely be going back.

Could you post the website or contact info?

Comment

Richard Smith (owner) 325-628-3565

It's a one page web site with some information that his daughter put together and threw up real quick. He will be getting the website updated soon.

If you have any questions about it what so ever, just give me a call at 512-680-2010 or send me a email at jahidrogo@yahoo.com

BTW, I am not afiliated with this ranch nor do I receive any gratuities from it. I truely believe this was an awesome ranch to hunt and it should be shared with my archery friends from TBH.

Comment

P.S.

Hunting report coming soon.

Comment

Fixing to ask Hydro...... did you take some dehydrated hogs with you?

Comment

Story posted in the Hunting reports under:

Hydro Brother’s pack the meat at ABC Ranch

Enjoy.

LOL. Danny. You're a funny man.

Comment

Johnny, I was talking to Richard when yall were out there and have a hunt booked for March.

Comment

oh okay, he mentioned that someone had called from TBH asking about the ranch.

It's a great place, you'll have fun and definite shot opportunities. If ya need some inside scoop don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

What side of San Saba is the ranch located? I hunted a place about 8-10 miles east of San Saba the last couple of years. The hogs were few and far between.

No trophy fees or anything on the ABC?

Of course we always have to make at least one trip into town to eat at the Barditch (restuarant). If you haven't eaten there when you're in San Saba.....you should before you leave.

Comment

Ashx2, I guess that would have been back towards Lampassas?

I wish I would have ate in town but the only placed we stopped at was the gas station to get some ice on the way out of town.

You turn on the road next to the courthouse in the middle of town and follow it South or West whichever way that would have been.

basically we drove in from Lampassas and took a left at the Courthouse, then went another 6 miles and were at the ranch.

You won't shoot any trophy hogs out here, mostly meat hogs, but we did see some pretty big ones.

Absolutely no hidden fees.

The ranch is pretty close to the San Gabriel River so where you hunted may have been a ways off from there. I hear the San Gabriel is flooded with hogs all up and down it, all the way to Granger.

Comment

Johny H - Sounds to me like you guys came in on hwy 190 and went south on hwy 16 (just speculating). I came in on hwy 16 from the north and headed east on 190 (toward Lampasas) and went south on hwy 580 toward Bend.

The place I've hunted is just past Tommy Lee Jone's polo pony ranch (big white-railed high fence.....can't miss it). It's actually half way between hwy 190 and hwy501 (on hwy 580) if you were looking at a map.

The Colorado River runs to the east of the property, but I'm not sure how much other property is between this place and the river.

What were the stand locations like at the ABC? Tripods/hangons....yardage to the feeders, well hidden, etc?

Comment

Yeah we passed 580, and crossed the Colorado river on the way to the ranch, and turned left on 1031. T. Jones ranch neighbors this ranch.

Don't know why you didn't see any hogs at your place. you should be flooded.

Stand locations are great, you have a little of everything, ground blind, hang ons, tripods, bus.

two stands have on-demand feeders, one has red lights for night hunting. Every stand I sat in I saw hogs come in. It's like they don't care what is there they want that corn. but yes, you are blended in pretty well.

most distances around 20-25 yards, one as close as 11 yards.

Comment

got any plans on going back soon?

Comment

absolutely, wanna hook something up to meet down there.

Comment

ash, send me an email at jahidrogo@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X