No announcement yet.

Text vs Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 61, I think texting is a great tool. It allows you to get a message to someone, and they can read and respond when they have time. I hate talking on the phone, but for a longer back and forth conversation it is the best way.

But I have a friend, that is a horrible text communicator, so I know that if I need to talk to him I better call him. You have to use what is a best fit for the situation.

Comment

If it's something quick or not that important where we can go back and forth then I prefer texting. I despise when something important comes up and instead of a quick call to iron it out it's typing volumes of text because some people seem to have forgotten why it's called a phone.

Comment

Few years back I told my daughter multiple times I didn't like texting. Takes 30 minutes for 2 minute conversation. One day she texted, "Are you working?" I texted back, "Call me and I'll tell you". She got the message.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
          I used to not like texting but prefer it now. I am pretty hard at hearing and I can always get things right when texting. If some one gives me instructions, measurements, directions, times or prices, I have it in writing so later on, I can back up what I am doing with what they said in the texts that they sent. If I'm on a ladder and holding some thing in place and get a call or in a meeting and get a call, it is disrupting to try and answer it but a text is right there waiting and I can answer it when I get the chance. Also when I get a text, it gives me time to think my answer over before I answer back.
          I agree completely. I am deaf in my right ear with loss in the left, text/email is always my preferred communication. I always answer texts/emails, I ignore a lot of phone calls. I am 46 just for reference. It seems at work people my age and older only want to call; younger and they want to text, Slack, IM, email, etc,.

Comment

I prefer to text and usually keep them short. If it is a voice call, better be important and I hate it when someone calls me two or three times in a row and cant leave a message. Truthfully, I hate a cell phone and will leave mine on mute the majority of the time when I am not working.

Retirement in 4 years(I hope) and the cell phone will stay in the glovebox. Lol
            Last edited by Radar; 05-30-2018, 05:52 AM.

Comment

I'm 67. I hate texting, I don't carry my phone on me unless I am expecting a call so I miss a lot of texts. You want to talk to me dial a number..no texts.

Comment

I prefer the text message at work because I can go back and check details without having to write it down. I can use the search function to sift through and find what I need. And because I can read the message whenever I want wtihout having to stop what I'm doing, or pull over to write down some stupid **** that someone thinks is important.

But most of all, God almighty how I could never explain to you how much I HATE talking on that stupid phone.... I get 15 phone calls a day that should have been text messages, and at least half of them feel the need to throw in a bunch of time wasting details I don't want, need, or care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                  I used to not like texting but prefer it now. I am pretty hard at hearing and I can always get things right when texting. If some one gives me instructions, measurements, directions, times or prices, I have it in writing so later on, I can back up what I am doing with what they said in the texts that they sent. If I'm on a ladder and holding some thing in place and get a call or in a meeting and get a call, it is disrupting to try and answer it but a text is right there waiting and I can answer it when I get the chance. Also when I get a text, it gives me time to think my answer over before I answer back.

This right here. Always annoys me get asked to get something from the store and feel the need to call me. Just shoot me a quick message then nothing gets forgotten or is wrong when I get it. And if is is something odd ball take anpic and send it as well for reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Everything has it's place, except voicemails. I hate voicemails.....99% of mine are: "hey call me". What the heck? Just text me what you want if I don't answer.

Comment

I am 65 and if I want to talk with someone, I will give them a call. Texting is for quick information or to answer a simple question.
                      Adios,

Gary

Comment

I'm 47.
                        I prefer texting to calling. Most times
                        Here's why.

Sending: You can read it at your convenience.

Receiving:
                        I'm a truck driver. I drive a yard hostler.
                        When I'm backing between trailers parked two deep, 1½' apart all my concentration is on not backing into a trailer. Phone calls irritate me bad.
                        I can read it at my covenience.
                        I can go back at double check the info. If the boss needs multiple trailers moved to different locations I can just re read the text.

If/when the customer shares info with me I can screen shot it and send it to the owner.

If the customer requests certain units I can than forward the info to the 4 shuttle driver's.
                        They reply with which unit they took so they're not all looking fur a trailer that's already been moved to the customers warehouse.

Comment

as a child of the first cell phone generation (Born 1990)... I find that I'm texting less and less as I age. Easier and more legal to call haha

that said, i DEFIANTLY use the text only in 3 primary situations....

1.) I want to LIMIT my contact with the person.
                          2.) I'm in a position I can't talk because of crowd, meeting, really busy w/e
                          3.) Non time sensitive and detailed info... making a to do list for ranch trip, Text. List of contacts I need to make with associated email addresses... text(or email if long)

telling fishing story CALL! lol
                          Last edited by catslayer; 05-30-2018, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Texting is dangerous >......

I’m no the road most of the time. If you call me I can talk through my truck speakers.
                              If you send me a text I either have to pull over to read it, do what 99% of folks do and read it while driving or ignore it.

As someone who rode a motorcycle for years, my biggest fear was getting ran over by someone texting

Comment

But it's OK while on stand.

Comment

Working...
                                X