How far will your trad bow shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far will your trad bow shoot?

Reading Arvin’s thread about setting the flight archery selfbow record got me wondering. Have you ever seen how far your hunting rig will fling an arrow? Say a 50# modern recurve or longbow with hunting weight arrows?

I've never tried it in recent years. As a youngster we did but those little fiberglass bows didn't shoot them too far.

Gary

Comment

Farther than I can hit😀

Comment

Last time I did any flight shooting, my max was 319 yards.

That was with 66# @ my draw, and 630gr arrow.

Haven't done it since I hot rodded my bow some, but it's quite a bit faster with the same arrows, so I'm gonna guess it'll get close to 330 yards.

Rick

Comment

Seems like mid 80's the law/rule was a bow had to cast an arrow a minimum of so far

No weight limit

No idea how far my trad bow will shoot one but my compound will send one to the next county

Comment

Thought about it several times while sitting on a few slopes this past week.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Never tested full distance but have several times shot at a cedar sapling well over 100 yes just to see how close I could get. Using judo's so I had a better chance of finding it. It got there pretty quick.i would imaging 250 would be realistic

Comment

250 +

Comment

I haven't done it with a traditional bow in a long time. Done it with my Hoyt compound a few years ago it was set at 70lbs and was in the neighborhood of 400 yards give or take a few. Need to try it with my longbow sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                    Last time I did any flight shooting, my max was 319 yards.

That was with 66# @ my draw, and 630gr arrow.

Haven't done it since I hot rodded my bow some, but it's quite a bit faster with the same arrows, so I'm gonna guess it'll get close to 330 yards.

Rick
                    Here's your answer, right here. Rick flight shot this on purpose and measured carefully -- as opposed to shooting at a squirrel in a tree way out there or something. He posted a thread about the flight shooting on here, as I recall. And, obviously, that's a hunting-weight set-up -- around 9.5 grains per pound of draw weight.

319 yards is a long way (although a short par 4 golf hole )

Comment

Never tried it??? I just need a well placed arrow to about 12-18yds or so when the critter is in the right position in front of me!

Bisch

Comment

With a solid fiberglass fish arrow on a reel with 17# mono, I can shoot about 440'. I used to do it quite a lot when I worked for the phone company to shoot across canyons, rivers and sloughs on the highland lakes.

Here I am shooting across a canyon. I'm aiming quite a bit out of line to allow for the wind. I got quite good at it through the years.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                          With a solid fiberglass fish arrow on a reel with 17# mono, I can shoot about 440'. I used to do it quite a lot when I worked for the phone company to shoot across canyons, rivers and sloughs on the highland lakes.

Here I am shooting across a canyon. I'm aiming quite a bit out of line to allow for the wind. I got quite good at it through the years.
                          THAT is cool!!!

Shooting bows and arrows and getting paid for it (while wearing a hard hat) !

Comment

I dont know Jerp. Im intrigued now. Ill loose some arrows for distance in a day or so. I dont imagine my 38@28 longbow will go terribly far.

Comment

One thing interesting. At mojam I shot 217 yds with 43@28. 450 gr. Arrow . Then shot 625 gr. Arrow the same distance from 63# bow. 28" draw
                              Arvin

Comment

Working...
                              X