Alaska Black Bear Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska Black Bear Success

So Ive been running a bait north of Trapper Creek Alaska(125 miles or so North of Anchorage) for the last two seasons. My goal was to take a brown bear, but they have been tough to catch out there when Im hunting. Anyway, this was the largest black coming in and I finally had a chance at him on Saturday night.

The retrieval was about 50 yards but through some really thick brush and ferns, that were soaking wet from the 90 minute rain storm. The ferns in the background are about 4 feet tall.

Oh, and the night before I had a sow grizzly with two cubs in tow at 3 yards from my stand so it made for some fun.

Tim Thomas (on here as thebomb96? I think) was there to help track and pack.

If someone could help post the video of the grizzlies Id appreciate it. Don't know how.

Hugh
    Attached Files

Hey congratulations Hugh!! Glad it worked out for you... You'll get ol' Grizz yet! I see you're still shooting that Oneida contraption!

Comment

Congrats on the trophy

Comment

Text them to me.
        432-425-4870

Congrats!

Comment

coming your way!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Big congrats to yo brother!! Way to keep at it!
                Have you found a taxidermist up there??? ��

Comment

Very cool!###!! Congratulations!
                  Just being in that country would be good enough for me.Well done amigo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AJ5f-7HXmY&sns=em"]Hughiam bear encounter - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Hey congratulations Hugh!! Glad it worked out for you... You'll get ol' Grizz yet! I see you're still shooting that Oneida contraption!
                      Yes the Oneida is still working!

I can only shoot a grizzly until June 30. Alaska hunting years run July 1-June 30 although in that unit the season is year long for both black and brown bears. And you can only shoot one grizzly per year. If I don't shoot one by Friday, then I am in the new year. And, I drew a tag for Kodiak for the new year. So If I shoot a bear up here after the 1st, I can't go down to Kodiak.

And Id rather go to Kodiak for a possible 9 footer than a 7 footer here.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                        Thank you for posting this! This sow and cubs came in on Friday night at 2-3 yards. While it doesn't get dark here this time of year, every bush and stump appeared to be her and her cubs when I walked out at 2am.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice Bear

Comment

Sweet! Congrats. Video was cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X