Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Releases

Going back to thorthunders thread about wanting to use a release with his recurve. I just now ran across these, are any of you guys on here old enough or familiar in any way with these? I can't imagine trying to use one of these. Please add any info you may have on these. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376840512.473450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	24981313Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376840542.172221.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	24981314Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376840591.000879.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	24981315

Wow, pretty neat.

Comment

They look like early model, back tension, releases!

I be kinda leery of the "oops" if I tried to shoot one of those.

Bisch

Comment

I have no intentions of trying these!!lol They would not be for the faint of heart as the ledges that the string hangs on are VERY slight. I just happen to run across them and it's something you just don't see everyday.

Comment

I can see the hooks on all of them except the orange one. How does the orange one hook on the string?

BTW, those things do look like an accident waiting to happen!

Bisch

Comment

Once you get the feel for it they aren't that difficult to use.

I don't specifically recognize any of those although the general design is familiar. The black one in the upper center of the second photo might be an early Stanislawski. He was the first to use a hook and stepped cam in a release. Jerry Carter followed a couple of years later.
            My first mechanical release was a piece of broom handle with a nail driven through it and bent to provide a hook. I then filed the hook until I got the release I wanted.

Without a loop most of the current crop of handheld release would be difficult to use on a recurve or longbow as most are designed to be shot from a more vertical position.

A wrist strap trigger release or one of the swivel headed handheld releases would work best as they are primarily designed to hook directly to the string.

Comment

Here some better pics of the ledges/slots for the string. Absolutely not for me!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376847228.784084.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	24232755Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376847258.522997.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	24232756Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376847285.083528.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	24232757Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376847305.886719.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	24232758

Comment

I saw this one a while back and thought it would be a good one if my Arthritis gets too bad. The guy made it from an old leather belt.
                Attached Files

Comment

Releases

Hello All & Nice thread.
                  Well I have the age qualification to remember this type of release, being 78
                  Seems the trend started in California. My first view of one was at Co Bo hall.
                  In Detroit Michigan. The crowd seemed to be leaving my side of the stadium. And heading up and over to the other side of the divided per-mid bleachers.

There was this girl from California shooting a PAA round. With this type style release.Just a piece of plastic, with a hook. I was amazed at her arrow groups as was the crowd.

I live about 50 miles from Spring Field Ohio. Where Vic. Berger lived. A renowned Recurve tab shooter.
                  Now when this type release came into the archery games. It set the recurve archery community on its ear.

Did rules ever start flowing. A long with some clubs not allowing a release at there shoots.
                  As years went by as you know. Things did mellow down,

============
                  Now back to the selection of releases.
                  I have shot several of the type posted. And let us not forget the little finger hook release. Boy my chin hasn't.

I made hook relese about a month ago out of aluminum. Use as a pattern the Carter X release body. Later when I get qualified here .I will post a pic or 2. A hook release is much smother cleaner than any release in my humble opp-ion. And a hinge running 2nd.

Now these releases are quiet safe. After one masters a few simple procedures. One being, one must draw the release pointing at 10 0-clock to anchor.
                  At anchor one hast to maintain the same 10 o-clock angle. Not to rotate the release hand. Till one commits to the shot, and then using back tension, to activate the shot..
                  Might add, the bigger style release body. The colder one can set the hook to fire. Heck fire. On that big body hook release I just built. And set real cold. A hinge would fire before it would. Can let it down any time.[ Later

Comment

Originally posted by Unk Bond View Post
                    Hello All & Nice thread.
                    In Detroit Michigan. The crowd seemed to be leaving my side of the stadium. And heading up and over to the other side of the divided per-mid bleachers.

There was this girl from California shooting a PAA round. With this type style release.Just a piece of plastic, with a hook. I was amazed at her arrow groups as was the crowd.

I live about 50 miles from Spring Field Ohio. Where Vic. Berger lived. A renowned Recurve tab shooter.
                    Now when this type release came into the archery games. It set the recurve archery community on its ear.

Did rules ever start flowing. A long with some clubs not allowing a release at there shoots.

============
                    I have shot several of the type posted. And let us not forget the little finger hook release. Boy my chin hasn't.

I made hook relese about a month ago out of aluminum. Use as a pattern the Carter X release body. Later when I get qualified here .I will post a pic or 2. A hook release is much smother cleaner than any release in my humble opp-ion. And a hinge running 2nd.

Now these releases are quiet safe. After one masters a few simple procedures. One being, one must draw the release pointing at 10 0-clock to anchor.
                    At anchor one hast to maintain the same 10 o-clock angle. Not to rotate the release hand. Till one commits to the shot, and then using back tension, to activate the shot..
                    Might add, the bigger style release body. The colder one can set the hook to fire. Heck fire. On that big body hook release I just built. And set real cold. A hinge would fire before it would. Can let it down any time.[ Later
                    Cool info!!!! Thanks so much for posting. What was the usual draw weight of the bows for these type releases?

Comment

Originally posted by Unk Bond View Post
                      Hello All & Nice thread.

============

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks Unk......... and welcome .....

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
                          Cool info!!!! Thanks so much for posting. What was the usual draw weight of the bows for these type releases?
                          ====================
                          Hello All
                          For me, B it a hook or tab, or rope it was 35 pounds. Using a Wing Presentation II take down recurve.Me and Hoyt small recurve bow grips. Just didn't seem to work out.
                          They left to many Sargent stripes on the inter side, of my bow arm elbow.
                          Other words I was getting into the bow to deep.

To the range you seek. Was up to 40 pounds, with a recurve. But very few archers would leave there comfort zone of a tab..

If they had only leaned towards a larger body style. Who knows. I have made several hook releases. That I have used on a Hoyt Pro Medalist being 35 pounds . And my 50 pound compound bows. Made one up using the little Hooker hook.

Now that's a sight to be hold. That little hook setting a top of that big Carter style X body. The one I have now on the X body. Is made out of brass. With a 1/2 moon cam base, and a long hook. That I call long nose.

Later I went to a circle , made from a piece of plexiglass A plastic tube and some pair chute jumper cord. My average score jumped 10 points over night. But that's another yarn. [ Later
                          Last edited by Unk Bond; 08-22-2013, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Hello All
                            Got enough post to post a picture.

So here is my long nose never fail hook release. Using the body pattern of a Real old Stan. And a homemade 1/2 brass cam, with a long hook.

Still hunting my computer for my Carter X with this hook. [ Later
                            Attached Files

Comment

Years ago the Chaplin for the Professional Bowhunters Society made and sold wooden releases.

I thought about using a release to work on my target panic issues a few years back. I have a tendency to release too soon at times. I figure you can pull back and keep your finger way off of the trigger until you are anchored up really good.

I have some really old archery magazines from the 50-60s. Precompound. They are full of sight, buttons and rest ads............

There are articles complaining about the use of motorcyles to hunt off of too.

Comment

Working...
                              X