What's Your biggest animal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Your biggest animal

What's Your biggest animal whether it be heaviest or horn size taken with a 243?
    What were the distances?

Headshots excluded.

I inherited a older savage 243 on a long action that I had rebarrelled and ordered a stock for. It shoots fantastic and I'm really thinking about it being my go to all season long. I've shot whitetails out to 250 yards with one loaded with 100 gr corelokts but they were does. I've killed big pigs with them but they were also heads hots. During deer season I get the opportunity to shoot Aoudad and Axis as well as monster Hogs so I'm conflicted. Being the only Aoudad experience i have was with a 300 win mag. I'm interested on yalls take. Does it just need to be a North Texas gun (Palo pinto co) or can I run double duty and take it to Sonora 4x -5x a season. In doing so I would also change my ammo to something all copper like the gmx or Barnes. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if I'd try to tackle an aoudad with a 243 but I'm sure it could be done. I'd stick with a strong bullet like a barnes tsx

Comment

Never shot audad/axis but plenty Hogs ..Never a problem and mostly Heart Lung shots Rem CL..There just as dead as with my 280 rem..But remember shot placemet is #1...no matter what calib...

I would not hesitate Axis /Audad if I ever saw one while hunting with my 243...

Comment

Biggest with mine was a 5 point bull elk, 325 yards. Have shot lots of mule deer and antelope, and cow elk with it. 100 grain nosler partition bullets.

Comment

shot my red stag with a 243, no problems. he didn't make it 10 yards

Comment

My daughter hammered a 240lb South Texas whitetail with her .243. Shot was about 115 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
              Biggest with mine was a 5 point bull elk, 325 yards. Have shot lots of mule deer and antelope, and cow elk with it. 100 grain nosler partition bullets.
              Im ashamed i didnt even bring the most famous well constructed bullet into the op.

Comment

This past season I shot 200lb east Texas whitetail at about 80 yds with a .243corelok. He took about 5 steps. I usually use larger calibers but, after that experience, I've been wondering why. Best part was the gun recoiled so little, I never completely lost view of the deer through the scope.

Comment

Nothing can live without lungs......
                  My wife has killed everything she has shot at with her .243, Red deer being the biggest

Comment

Originally posted by kaizen View Post
                    This past season I shot 200lb east Texas whitetail at about 80 yds with a .243corelok. He took about 5 steps. I usually use larger calibers but, after that experience, I've been wondering why. Best part was the gun recoiled so little, I never completely lost view of the deer through the scope.
                    It's a macho thing. My ammo is bigger than yours.

Comment

i've killed more pigs than you can shake a stick at with a youth model remington 700 in 243. i think only one took a step. You shoot a good bullet like the partition, accubond, gmx, barnes, or the swift scirroco and put it in an aoudads pump house and he will die. Keep your shots reasonable and broadside nothing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                      X