Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booked Double L. Advice needed!

Howdy,

I am booked to hunt at the Double L come this September in hopes of landing a trophy class black buck or fallow. This will be the first trophy/ paid hunt that I have ever been on, so I was hoping for some advice from others who have had success hunting this ranch. Do and don'ts, best camo pattern, helpful hints, stuff to be sure and bring (besides the obvious) and really anything that could help me be more successful. I appreciate it guys!

Treat it like any other hunt! Camo as scent control and be still on the stand. That place is covered in critters. Went there a year ago. Had shots and blackbuck and fallow both but was just after pigs! Was drawn back on a pig waiting on him to turn sideways and had a big auodad step out in front of the pig I was about to shoot! I've never been so careful about letting down my draw!!! Take lots of pics and tell us a cool story!!

Comment

Listen to Pop when you get there....he will not steer you wrong!

Comment

Thank you Slew and Mary!! Hopefully I have great story to tell when its all said and done.

Comment

From what it looks like take extra cash lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
            This is great advice. Tell him what you want, and let him pick your stand for you. It might not work, as the animals roam and can be anywhere, but he knows the trends and this is your highest percentage. He is on the rance everyday and knows what he is doing.

Full camo

Be ready to shoot through a small hole in heavy cover. Not all the stands are like this, but many are. You need to make a quick decision if the animal will make you happy and take the shot when it presents.

I passed a pig of a blackbuck last year, and still regret it. It was the first 5 minutes of my hunt and didn't want it to be over that fast...then I only shot pigs after.

If you can stand the heat you can hunt the pond by the cabin during the middle of the day. The animals, especially fallow will sometimes come there to drink.

Take only a shot you know you can make, it seems almost every year I am there, someone hits an expenisve animal and we don't find it, and they have to pay any way.

I have been lucky enough to get a good number of exotics over the years, it is one of my favorite places. I will be back in October. Feel free to leave me a big fallow.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
              This is great advice. Tell him what you want, and let him pick your stand for you. It might not work, as the animals roam and can be anywhere, but he knows the trends and this is your highest percentage. He is on the rance everyday and knows what he is doing.

Full camo

Be ready to shoot through a small hole in heavy cover. Not all the stands are like this, but many are. You need to make a quick decision if the animal will make you happy and take the shot when it presents.

I passed a pig of a blackbuck last year, and still regret it. It was the first 5 minutes of my hunt and didn't want it to be over that fast...then I only shot pigs after.

If you can stand the heat you can hunt the pond by the cabin during the middle of the day. The animals, especially fallow will sometimes come there to drink.

Take only a shot you know you can make, it seems almost every year I am there, someone hits an expenisve animal and we don't find it, and they have to pay any way.

I have been lucky enough to get a good number of exotics over the years, it is one of my favorite places. I will be back in October. Feel free to leave me a big fallow.

Thanks for the great advice!! I have heard that the blinds are well hidden but in return the shooting lanes are smaller. That's something I can practice before I go though. The quick decision is unfortunently my weak point, so thanks for the heads up. As for leaving you a fallow, I'm going with a few buddies who are hog hunting and are known for being great camera hunters, so we should have a great scouting report for you before you go!

Comment

Mary and Chunky covered it.

IMO, the most important point is LISTEN TO POP!
                He knows that ranch and he WANTS you to kill what you're after.

Comment

Every chance you get to ride around the ranch with Pop, take it. You can see a lot of animals, sometimes running away, but you get a feel for what is there and what you are looking for. For example, if he says he is going to go check a hog trap or fill a feeder, does anyone want to ride along.....you say YES.

The camp house is just outside the fence, but from it you can see down several roads and in clearings. If you watch these and have binos handy, you can check out and judge a fair number of animals when you are not hunting. This might help you recognize what animal is in front of you and speed up your decision when in stand.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

a few of my hundreds of Double L pics.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                      I've hunted the ranch 7 times and will be there again in Jan. 2015. Great times with pops and family!

Comment

Good luck to you on your hunt! post pics

Comment

Thank you everyone for the help, pictures, and luck. I will be sure to post after our hopefully successful weekend!

Comment

Still sounds wonderfull

Comment

I live about 15 minutes from Double L but have never hunted it. I'm not much help for advice hunting there but if ya need anything while you're in the area, drop me a PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X