Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shot a compound today. Trad bows how close is "close enough"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't pm on my phone. I can get them, send me your number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buff said it about perfect!

It has nothing to do with whats more accurate but it has everything to do with woodsmanship. All a stick does is limit yardage, no different then going from a gun to a compound. DEAD IS DEAD

That said, shoot what you feel comfortable with! I see guys every year that shouldn't be in the dang woods with their chosen weapon, that goes from gun on down.

Comment

now that i am old i miss more with my compound in hunting situations than i do with any of my stickbows mostly related to eyesight but in hunting situations stickbow is definite advantage. quicker and quieter

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
          Buff said it about perfect!

It has nothing to do with whats more accurate but it has everything to do with woodsmanship. All a stick does is limit yardage, no different then going from a gun to a compound. DEAD IS DEAD

That said, shoot what you feel comfortable with! I see guys every year that shouldn't be in the dang woods with their chosen weapon, that goes from gun on down.
          yep....although I haven't killed anything this year yet, my encounters have been great and Ive gotten very very very close to taking a mature buck and a doe within 15 yards, but hunting on the ground in east texas can be tough!! they would've busted me with a compound also....

Comment

Not sure if this really apples here or not but I'll add this,
            I have a good friend in Alaska (I posted pics of his blacktail a while back) Was having a conversation with a buddy of his not long ago. His buddy kept saying he wanted to hunt with his recurve but thought maybe he'd better take his gun along. My friend (Marty) told him that if he wanted to kill something with his bow he'd better leave the gun at home. Every animal you take with a gun or compound is one you'll never get a chance at with your trad bow.
            Another conversation I had with Big Jim he was telling me about his recent moose hunt in Alaska. He said first day they had a big bull at about 75 yrds but couldn't close the distance. Their guide asked him if he wanted to use his rifle. He said No and his buddy shot the moose with the rifle. He came home empty handed. I asked him if he regretted not using the rifle. He said "HELL No, if I wanted to shoot a gun I would have brought a gun"!
            Like Drt said, it's about what drives YOU and makes YOU happy.!!! Keep up the hard work Guys because hard work pays off in due time!!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
              Not sure if this really apples here or not but I'll add this,
              I have a good friend in Alaska (I posted pics of his blacktail a while back) Was having a conversation with a buddy of his not long ago. His buddy kept saying he wanted to hunt with his recurve but thought maybe he'd better take his gun along. My friend (Marty) told him that if he wanted to kill something with his bow he'd better leave the gun at home. Every animal you take with a gun or compound is one you'll never get a chance at with your trad bow.
              Another conversation I had with Big Jim he was telling me about his recent moose hunt in Alaska. He said first day they had a big bull at about 75 yrds but couldn't close the distance. Their guide asked him if he wanted to use his rifle. He said No and his buddy shot the moose with the rifle. He came home empty handed. I asked him if he regretted not using the rifle. He said "HELL No, if I wanted to shoot a gun I would have brought a gun"!
              Like Drt said, it's about what drives YOU and makes YOU happy.!!! Keep up the hard work Guys because hard work pays off in due time!!
              look at you with all this logic and wisdom

Comment

I agree for the most part. It sure has been fun to actually kill some animals this season though.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                  The whole step up to a wheel bow thing kinda chaps my azz!
                  After 30 something years of killing hundreds and hundreds of critters with everything from my sling shot and BB gun to several different compounds and dozens of rifles up to a 30-378, I decided to STEP UP to the challenge of traditional archery. My number of kills has dropped a lot each year. But I also don't judge succes like I used to. No kill today but I successfully found a new spot on public land and set myself up for success later!
                  Gage success in your own way and do what makes YOU happy.
                  Ps.. my BIL constantly gives me a hard time while he whips my tail on 3D course. However I give it right back when I whip his tail at stumping at unknown distances! If he can't range the target I beat him 90 percent of the time.

Hey,
                  we all know your wife keeps your freezer full! So you can stop all that nonsense! Honestly, seeing as how much we eat venison, I have thought about going back to a compound to be sure I can get some meat in the freezer. I don't own one or anything like that, but we cook it at least 2-3 times a week and I would rather shoot one with a bow than a rifle, even though I do use them as well!

fwiw, I do hate to hear the trad elitist mentality and their negative comments towards a compound. To each their own, and that's the way it should stay. Shoot what makes you happy.

Comment

Anything that bleeds . . .

Gary

Comment

Nobody here ever puts anyone down for using a compound or a rifle, we just don't want anyone telling us we are doing it wrong because we pass a lot of chances because of having to be much closer.

All that being said, there are some people who hunt with trad gear who probably are not skilled enough to be doing it. Of course that is true of all methods as well, but maybe more so in our ranks. At least it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post

All that being said, there are some people who hunt with trad gear who probably are not skilled enough to be doing it.
                        And that's me, sort of. I know I'm not skilled enough with my recurve to take a deer ethically. Having said that I do not hunt because I know my limitations. I do however like trying new things, the compound bow that started this thread is one of those things. Was it fun? Of course! Was it accurate? Heck yes it was! Was it stupid fast? Oh yes indeed! More importantly did it make me come home and work harder to up my accuracy with my chosen hunting method? 110% yes! I've shot deer with a rifle oh decades ago and it was about as "point-n-click" as you can get. Deer walks out 250yds away and *bang* falls dead in it's tracks. Yay.......... It wasn't rewarding. There was no skill involved. I've been shooting since I'm 5 years old so putting an animal in the dirt with a set of nice optics on a .308 is old hat. I could have gone with a compound and found great joy at taking animals out at 60 yards but that's not what I wanted, or want. I practice like a fiend at 15yards and under and know for fact that regardless of the number of points on the buck or the size of the doe/hog I'll not take a shot beyond that. Heck right now I'd probably watch the animal and hope it'd come in just 9 feet closer to my confidence range of 12 yards, give me a broadside with it's head behind a tree so it can't see me shaking as I raise the bow...... and hope I can hit the hair I'm looking at.

I'll never give anyone any crap about hunting with other than traditional gear. Ethical hunting is ethical hunting, period. I love all of it.

Richard

Comment

I just like shooting this way. I had one of my feeders torn up by a coon while I was away and got that going. I was running behind and decided to hang in camp, repair a hitch hauler and then just shot for 45 minutes or more. Varying ranges, nothing measured or known. Just shooting. Stood on the roof of my truck to get some elevation. Fun, frustrating, rewarding, satisfying.

Tomorrow I will sit the doe hole stand with it and hope to get a shot. Not sure if I care if I kill a deer or not if I don't get one with it.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                          X