Chum for catfish question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chum for catfish question

What does everybody use to make their catfish chum?

I think soured wheat. Milo works but not as good.

Comment

Range cubes and milo

Comment

dog food in coffee cans with holes in the bottom and small holes in the top.

Comment

Soured milo and range cubes..

Comment

Soured grain is what we use. Made alot of it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Soured milo and range cubes..
              Ok what is this? Where can I buy and how do I prepare it?

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                Ok what is this? Where can I buy and how do I prepare it?
                Just take the bag of range cubes and lower over the side of the boat. Poke about a dozen holes in the bag, let it fill with water and it will sink straight to the bottom. Come back in 2 hours or so and start catchin'. The milo needs to be put in a 5 gal bucket with water. Cover for a few days and it will sour. Not rocket science.

Comment

At your local feed store. Put grain in bucket about 1/2 full and cover with water. Give it a few days and it stinks really bad. Spread the area you want to fish. I use the fishing shrimp you can buy at bait stores with a cork just above bottom and reel them in. Prefer a point with the wind blowing into it. Not too deep, about 4 to 8 feet. Give them 20 to 30 minutes and have a big time.

Comment

put sowerd corn and milo in a croker sack throw it over the side.

Comment

soured milo

Comment

Originally posted by lakefork View Post
                        Just take the bag of range cubes and lower over the side of the boat. Poke about a dozen holes in the bag, let it fill with water and it will sink straight to the bottom. Come back in 2 hours or so and start catchin'. The milo needs to be put in a 5 gal bucket with water. Cover for a few days and it will sour. Not rocket science.
                        Thanks for the info.Ya I kinda figured it wasn't rocket science.

Comment

We don't put out a full bag of cubes on each hole.....but rather throw four or five handfuls with the soured milo.

As for the soured milo....get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid (lid very important..)....fill with 2/3 milo/grain....then fill the bucket up with water (some add a beer to help with ferment). Set in the hot sun with lid on for a week or two. The stench will be niiiice...

Get a coffee can to scoop it out and spread it over your favorite catfish hole along with 4 or 5 handfuls of range cubes.....replace lid. ......fish on!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            We don't put out a full bag of cubes on each hole.....but rather throw four or five handfuls with the soured milo.

As for the soured milo....get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid (lid very important..)....fill with 2/3 milo/grain....then fill the bucket up with water (some add a beer to help with ferment). Set in the hot sun with lid on for a week or two. The stench will be niiiice...

Get a coffee can to scoop it out and spread it over your favorite catfish hole along with 4 or 5 handfuls of range cubes.....replace lid. ......fish on!!
                            Nice, thanks smart.

Comment

I’ve had good luck with sinking catfish food commercially available from your local feed store. It runs about $20 per 50 lbs. Be sure and get the sinking variety and not the one that floats. Just pick a likely spot and throw some out. If there are any catfish in the area they will show in no time. I rig up to fish just off bottom with stink bait.

Comment

Working...
                              X