No announcement yet.

Kerrville-Schreiner Park Drawing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was the private land doe and spike hunt. The regular hunt will be drawn in Sept.

Comment

I'll be waiting for the results of your hunt. Good Luck!!

Comment

So is it a private ranch or a public park??

I applied for this area but didn't get drawn.

Comment

This hunt is the city park in Kerville. We actually sat on the picnic tables or in chairs by the cabins. These deer are used to people feeding them. They will walk up to you so you can feed them. You will be hunting in the campground. You may be next to a cabin or in a RV camp site. They close 1/2 the park and this is where you will be thinning the deer out. They have a place for you to clean your deer and they take the waste and dispose of it. This is like nothing most people have ever seen.

Comment

Man, I wish I would have drawn that hunt....my freezer in empty!!!! Good luck!

Comment

I played baseball for Kerrville Tivy back in 1976 and 77 and would jog in that park to stay in shape. I always enjoyed seeing the wildlife as I ran through the park. I'm going to have to try next year to get picked. I always thought it would be cool to hunt in that park.

Comment

I put in for this hunt kinda on a whim, and shore 'nuff got picked. It will be my first 'real' bow hunt. After years of disinterest in bow hunting I'm finding myself looking forward to it...a lot. Uh oh, I hope I didn't just catch a bug!

Comment

Congratulations on getting drawn. You’ll enjoy the hunt. I hunted at Kerrville Schreiner Park last year. I put in again this year but didn’t make it in. It’s definitely different from any hunt I’ve been on.

The park staff did an excellent job organizing and running the hunt. They drove us to and from our hunt areas so be prepared to take what you need with you. Each hunt area was flagged off and we were asked not to leave the area or trail any deer we shot until the staff arrived to pick us up. They will also come by a couple of times a day to check on you, so you’ll have the option to go in to town for lunch if you like.

I would highly recommend a pop-up blind if you have one. I hunted late in the season and the deer were a bit nervous as they had been shot at a few times. The bucks and fawns would come in but the older does were a harder target. I tried sitting in the open with some success, but ended up taking both my does out of the pop-up blind.

I stayed in one of the park cabins on the river side of the park. The cabins were great and there are plenty of places to eat a short drive into town.

Comment

I got drawn this year but not last year.

It sounds like it's mostly white-tails that get killed, although there are lots of axis & blackbuck...is that right? The exotics are a lot spookier than the white-tails...right??

What river goes through the park? It sounds like bowfishing may be an option after the hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodhound View Post
                      I got drawn this year but not last year.

It sounds like it's mostly white-tails that get killed, although there are lots of axis & blackbuck...is that right? The exotics are a lot spookier than the white-tails...right??

Exotics were not on the menu last year, we were only allowed to take whitetail does. Based on an article I read in 2008 there are somewhere around 40 exotics in the park along with about 300 whitetails. Good luck! Hope you get a good one!

Comment

I forgot that the exotics were not fair game last year.

What about Bowhunter Ed? They required it last year but not this year. I wonder why?

Comment

Anybody do any good on these hunts yet.

Comment

Kerrville Schreiner Park Drawing

I was wandering if anybody has ever hunted Sycamore State Park around Dayton for any sheds? My wife and I took a trip there today to get some fresh spring air and of course to look for sheds. Came up empty though, but saw a ton of deer trails and tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodhound View Post
                              What about Bowhunter Ed? They required it last year but not this year. I wonder why?
                              My guess would be because it's not widely available. Would be unfair to require it for everyone, if you don't make it reasonably available to everyone.

Comment

I hunted this past weekend. The park staff did a great job taking care of everyone and were friendly and very willing to help. The park has designated hunt areas and had closed the majority of the park to allow for the hunters. It was very structured with the staff taking you out to your area at 7am with pickup at 10am, then again at 3pm with pickup at 6pm. They didn't want anyone trailing shot deer around the park and instead the park staff would go out after each hunt period to help track and/or retrieve any deer shot. The deer were spooky and only a few were taken this weekend.

I took a 3.5yr whitetail doe for the freezer and waited (unsuccessfully) for a big spike or blackbuck to come in. With the structured hunt approach the staff takes it may not be a hunt for everybody but I had a great time and appreciated the effort the park staff put in to host the hunt.

Good luck to anyone else picked to hunt the park and Merry Christmas!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by BoHunter3; 12-14-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X