Deer in East Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer in East Texas

I wanted to ask yalls advice on small lease deer hunting... I have 20 acres in East Texas where I have been providing a mixture of soured corn, corn, and crushed beets and other prpducts steadily throughout the summer months as well as late spring last year..

I know there are deer in the area despite having mostly hogs on my trail cameras.. I wanted advice on how to go about bringing them onto my land both during bow and rifle season. Should I focus on baiting like usual? Or maybe play out pre rut and rut with calling them/scent? I realize it's very early and I haven't seen deer sign in a while.. I'm just trying to put together a decent strategy that would help.. this is my first time having a lease in East Texas during a complete deer season so any help would be appreciated.

First thing is to get rid of as many hogs as you can. I hunted a place last year that had no deer because of the amount of hogs. Good luck. If ya need help I'm not too far away

Comment

20 acres is not much land to try and keep them on. Your best bet is to find where they are passing through. I would check for rub lines and trails and concentrate on that. Remember that probable the neighbor on each side of you is feeding also . Im not saying dont feed but on that small of an area feed the right spot. If it is fenced you can often locate where they are crossing the fence and go from there.

Comment

Fence your feeders to help with hog issue.
        Then keep feeders going and try to hang them at least 10 ft off the ground for better distribution. The deer will fight over the center and limit the use.

My experience in east TXis that it takes a long time to get the bucks to get comfortable with a new feeder.

Lastly set your timers for end of year daylight hours so the pattern is in place. And don't let it run out of feed.

Comment

Stop putting out sour corn! Ur baiting hogs! Deer don't like to be around hogs.

Comment

Get rid of everything but the corn and put the pressure on the hogs.

Comment

you will never get rid all hogs but try to get as many as you can. At some leases they will feed with hogs and turkey same time but only heard of it down south.

Comment

what he said ^^^^^^^ x's 100000000000..........deer do not like sour corn or hogs at all

Comment

The answer is false. There are no deer in East Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                    The answer is false. There are no deer in East Texas.
                    Lol only took 9 posts for that

Comment

All the guy's here have good advice, so need to repeat. At a habitat angle, I would promote bedding, i.e briar thickets, and "santuary" spots as off limits. Also, just general intrusion on such a small acreage, is detrimental, so during hunting season and just before, I think it has to kept to a minimum, at midday, no four wheeling, with extreme scent control. Get in, do what you need, and get out. The deer cover a lot more area than your 20 acre's, so it will be easy for them to associate it as a "bad" spot and go around.

If the habitat is real thick, promote travel corridors to enable deer to relate to land the way you want them to go, say from bedding to feed, with a couple of stands to take advantage of which way the wind is from.

Comment

Hunt the trails, and kill as many hogs as you can

Comment

Get rid of the hog attractants and put up some very good fencing or hog panels to ensure you keep them out. On panels put up a minimum of 16 and place a feeder in the middle. Best place I ever hunted was only 42 acres near Groveton and Davey Crockett.

Comment

The best thing you can do at this point is stop feeding. If you have a demand feeder that hogs can't reach then use that with corn. If the hogs can't eat there they will leave and deer should return. A feeder with hog panels will work too.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

Working...
                              X