No announcement yet.

Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would ask a real bowhuner like Jasmine smith to use a crossbow when she has ALREADY killed 9 hogs with her Parker compound? get real!
    this is not a crossbow thread so sir- Please stick to the subject OK?

Thanks

TINK

Comment

Tink ... you're rambling again!

Howie, how heavy are her arrows and what speed does her bow spit them out?

Comment

I agree that this is way overdue.

Originally posted by Cotton View Post
        Does anyone know how long the 40# limit has been in place? Kind of like P&Y raising the let-off limit changing with the advancement of technology.
        I'd be interested in that info also.

I believe to get this changed, you'll need good info on what's acceptible as a mimimum KE for killing deer. Then you'll need to take that and back it into something that's easy for Wardens to determine in the field. I don't think trying to use a chrono would be easy. However, there aren't that many bow manufacturers that make these low poundage/kids bows. Warden's could be provided with a list of bow models and their necessary poundage to produce the KE with a certain arrow weighjt. The warden would then only need the draw weight scale they have now and one capable of roughly measuring total arrow weight.
        Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

It should definately be lowered to 30-35lbs. Maybe they could make a distinction between compounds and trad and have different limits for each leaving trad at 40lbs.

Comment

Dang, Devin, you're SMART!!! It really is that easy ... it just takes a great mind, like yours, to put it in plain English!

Here's a good guide for KE

Comment

her arrows are 24 inch beeman ics juniors with a 75 gr muzzy she chronied at ganfer mountain at 260

Comment

I don't think trying to use a chrono would be easy.
                I have to disagree it would be as simple as drawing your bow and shooting one arrow. I'd say with the crono posted above and a scale I could have anyone's KE in under 5 minutes.

Comment

OK, those arrows are 7.3 grains per inch, so her arrow is gonna weigh about 250 grains, with the tip, not counting fletchings or nock. She's producing 37 ft/lbs of kinetic energy. 40# is reccommended, by Gold Tip, for medium sized game, such as deer.

BTW, her bow shoots as fast as my Switchback XT ... what's she shootin', I might have to get one!

Comment

Does anyone know of a person that has actually had their bow checked for draw weight? Just curious.

Dang Tink....you've got so many exes I can't keep them straight! If you could just get that group of ladies to lobby TPWD they could get something done!

Just messing with you. I've got one myself!

Comment

Sorry Cotton but do you really want to fire one of your broadheads at 7:00 at night when the game warden rolls up? Just doesn't seem very practical.

Comment

I have an 11 year old daughter which was 10 during this last deer season and she was able to shoot 35lbs well. I too did not let her shoot. I did however let her sit in the stand with me that way she could still have some of the experience and she now is up to 37 lbs because she is working hard to make the 40lbs so she can hunt next season. I think that there needs to be some type of base line and if 40lbs is where they have it then so be it. I don’t have a problem with that. My wife killed 2 deer last year with her bow set at 41 lbs. Just like you can kill deer all day with a 22 Rimfire but you can not de it legally either. But I do agree that it is KE that will do the work and a good sharp broad head. But there again there has to be some baseline.

Comment

she is shooting a parker buckshot the 30-40 lb limbs she is on the grow as you go program started with the 20-30 olb limbs they make a 41-50 lb lim the bow has big secentrics and shoots hard!!!

Comment

are there any ladies on the foumn that can relate to this subjext?? i appreciate everyones views this is how we acomplish things is by talking i9 apreciate yall

Comment

Cull, a field point of the same weight 5 yards from a target, sure no problem. If a person can't do that then they really have no buisness hunting with a bow anyway.
                              Last edited by Cotton; 03-02-2007, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Here's a good article that lists KE requirements.

Easton's recommendations:

KE -Hunting Usage

< 25 ft. lbs. - Small Game

25-41 ft. lbs. - Medium Game (deer, antelope, etc.)

42-65 ft. lbs. - Large Game (elk, black bear, wild boar, etc.)

> 65 ft. lbs. - Toughest Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc.)
                                I think something in the neighborhood of 30 ft-lbs is much more realistic.... especially for Texas sized WT's.
                                Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Working...
                                X