Stray German Shepard advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This young German Shepard showed up on our door step with no collar and very hungry/thirsty. Looks like he’s been on his own a while, he’s definitely under weight. I know nothing about this breed minus they are very loyal. He’s good with my boys and other dog. Wife wants to keep him but I’m on the fence, don’t really want another large dog. So, those with German Shepards give me the good, bad, and ugly about them. We have three boys 8, 4, and 16mo.

Can’t help you. But at least you are helping him out. See if he is chipped- any vet. Petsmart etc. and go from there

Comment

Sounds like you have a new dog.

Comment

We've had a number of Sheppards over the years and absolutely loved them. In addition to loyalty and being great with our kids, they were all very protective. Downside is health issues, usually hip problems. Our next dog will definitely be another German Sheppard.

Comment

Best dog you'll ever have. I just got a second one over Christmas. They like to be active and are extremely smart. My female who is 3 was a big chewer and an occasional digger when she was younger. Took some time for her to get over that hump but now i couldn't ask for a better dog. Get ready to sweep/vacuum 2-3 times a week as they shed a lot. They have great noses so you'll be able to have the dude do some tracking for you. I have my female going duck hunting with me for that reason. you can pm me if you have any specific questions

Comment

We have 3...most loyal family dog you can have. Protective, great with kids. I wouldn’t hesitate to keep him.

Comment

Greatest (all around) dog on the planet

Comment

Great dogs. Mine is almost 2 and it has been an adventure but he is finally calming down

Comment

I have a totally different outlook of German shepherds now. My mom took in a stray and it had obviously been abused when it was younger. Very stand offish dog. Long story short, it almost killed my niece and she had to have multiple surgeries in order to make it. So please just be 100% sure that it is good with your kids. Unfortunately you don’t know the history with a stray dog.
                  I have nothing against the breed or even really the actual dog that did this as I think most dogs are great, but we learned the hard way that they are not all the same.

Comment

Take him to the pound

Comment

Its all about the lines. This breed was nearly destroyed in America due to popularity, the AKC and backyard breeders.

American show lines are trash. Terrible angulation. Weak hips. No drive.

American pet lines are worse. These are the ones that developed the bad rep as potential fear biters.

The real GSD that became so popular in the 70s was the European working line. Loyal, courageous, intelligent.

This dog appears to be of West German show lines. A black and red. They are superior to American showlines as they are required to work in IPO and Schutzhund or they cannot breed. Only titled dogs can breed. They are much more docile and gentle than European working lines. They make great pets and still have some good drive.....but not too much.

Keep him. No brainer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. We have a neighbor who is a local vet check him out and she thinks he’s an escapee. We are going to keep posted up locally and on Facebook. I’ll “hold” him another week and then he’s ours I guess.
                        Last edited by UncleBubba; 01-19-2019, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                          Its all about the lines. This breed was nearly destroyed in America due to popularity, the AKC and backyard breeders.

American show lines are trash. Terrible angulation. Weak hips. No drive.

American pet lines are worse. These are the ones that developed the bad rep as potential fear biters.

The real GSD that became so popular in the 70s was the European working line. Loyal, courageous, intelligent.

This dog appears to be of West German show lines. A black and red. They are superior to American showlines as they are required to work in IPO and Schutzhund or they cannot breed. Only titled dogs can breed. They are much more docile and gentle than European working lines. They make great pets and still have some good drive.....but not too much.

Keep him. No brainer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info. I’m going to contact a customer of mine that breeds 100% German German Shepards if we wind up keeping him. I’d like to know his bloodline myself.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            Take him to the pound
                            No!! I’ll take him before you do that. They are great dogs. We love ours

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                              Take him to the pound

Why?

Comment

Working...
                              X