Aransas Wildlife Refuge Important Info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aransas Wildlife Refuge Important Info.

Please read the following and give them your input. Nothing is in stone yet they are just looking at options good or bad let them know what you think.

News Release
    Southwest Region (Arizona ● New Mexico ● Oklahoma ●Texas) www.fws.gov/southwest/ For Immediate Release: March 4, 2016

Wildlife Refuge Seeks Public Input on Hunt Fee Changes
    Aransas National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) is proposing a fee increase for the 2016-2017 big game hunt season. Through this scoping process, Aransas NWR is seeking public input to facilitate identification of issues and concerns regarding fee changes to the hunting program at the refuge.
    The purpose of this fee increase is to allow Aransas NWR to utilize Texas Parks and Wildlife’s (TPWD) on-line only public hunt draw system. This partnership with TPWD will provide technical expertise and special capabilities to improve customer service, streamline operations, and reduce government costs for public hunting lands services program administration while reducing Aransas NWR staff workload. TPWD provides drawn public hunts through an online only drawing system that offers loyalty points, secondary draws, secure online ordering, multiple purchases, online payment and online order confirmation. Through this system, TPWD brings manual paper processes online, including public hunt applications and public hunt permits. TPWD is focused on rapidly delivering effective solutions to reduce paperwork, increase efficiency, expand service availability, and enhance customer satisfaction.

Under this new process, the application fee will be $3.00 for each adult hunter. After a lottery drawing, selected hunters will be notified by e-mail and will then purchase their permit for $130.00 for either rifle (5 day) or archery (9+ day) hunts.

All TPWD managed hunt areas and U.S. Forest Service lands in Texas are currently using this system with great success and by being part of this system, Aransas NWR hunters can easily also apply for many hunts throughout Texas. Hunters should be able to browse the drawn hunt catalog by refuge, hunt category, and location using interactive maps. This could eventually become a one- stop shop for Federal and State public hunting opportunities in the Texas.
    The public is encouraged to provide input by writing to: Laura Bonneau, Visitor Services Manager, at laura_bonneau@fws.gov or P.O. Box 100, Austwell, Texas 77950.

Comments will be accepted until 5:00 pm on March 18th.
    The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a leader and trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for our scientific excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated professionals and commitment to public service.

For more information on our work and the people who make it happen, visit www.fws.gov.
    Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
    1 Wildlife Circle Austwell, Texas 77950 361/286-3559

It's very important to comment and make sure to send it by email or written coment to: laura_bonneau@fws.gov or P.O. Box 100, Austwell, Texas 77950.

Comment

TPWD drawing for ANWR changes.

I've been hunting the Refuge for over 45 years and have seen many changes. some good and some not so good. The most destructive change for the hunt was the prohibiting of camping outside the refuge. I never understood why an events such as the Refuge hunt couldn't obtain the necessary permit to allow the camping.

Ten years ago I had the honor to start and teach the Bowhunter Safety Class there at the Refuge. Back then there wasn't a limit on the number of permits allowed but a few years later a limit of 600 was put into place, a year later it was cut to 400. I was assured by the Refuge Director the limits were only put into place to create hunter interest and get the hunters to increase the number of permits sold. I specifically ask if the permits sold out could we get more permits as there never had been a limit on the number of permits. I was told, "we'll talk about it when the need arises", I think that time is here and we need more permits. Laguna hunts half the acres as the Aransas hunt and they're selling 800 permits. If Aransas sold 600 permits through TPWD 200 wouldn't show up and another 200 will only hunt one day because of the adverse hunting conditions(heat, Mosquitos, snakes). If TPWD takes over the Aransas hunt, as with most of their draw hunts, a large number of hunters will not show up. Ordinarily these slots are filled with standby hunters and we need to make sure this practice is continued on the Aransas hunt. It's only fair to the hunters that want to and so up to hunt.

Over all I didn't see a problem with Kinsail selling the Aransas hunting permits and do my see the need to fix something that is not broke. smh

Thank You,

Chris Flinn
      Last edited by Thumper; 03-10-2016, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this is going to happen no matter what we say. I believe the "public input" is just a must do part of the process. I've sent at least a dozen emails so far on this issue at Laguna Atascosa and only person who has responded to any of them is the refuge manager. I have sent emails offering what i thought were workable solutions and havent recieved anything to indicate our voices are being heard or considered. I cut this out of the refuge managers response from yesterday. Sounds like a done deal to me.

"Once we get out of this year's crazy change to TPWD, we have plans to make the hunt dates (length of hunts, etc) more convenient to hunters if possible."

Comment

good to know.

Comment

I just read this in the Rockport paper. Once again they are going to mess up a good thing. Public hunting is getting to be a joke and Texas could be much better.
            I hear people saying they always hear about getting more people in hunting but with cost what they are it is hard to do now days. Public land hunters take another hit.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by onthetake View Post
                  Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this is going to happen no matter what we say. I believe the "public input" is just a must do part of the process. I've sent at least a dozen emails so far on this issue at Laguna Atascosa and only person who has responded to any of them is the refuge manager. I have sent emails offering what i thought were workable solutions and havent recieved anything to indicate our voices are being heard or considered. I cut this out of the refuge managers response from yesterday. Sounds like a done deal to me.

"Once we get out of this year's crazy change to TPWD, we have plans to make the hunt dates (length of hunts, etc) more convenient to hunters if possible."
                  They have to open it to public comments/opinions.....law mandates that to prevent lawsuit.

Comment

Any word on the "possible" changes?

Thanks!

Comment

For Immediate Release: April 19, 2016

Aransas National Wildlife Refuge Will Not Change Hunt System This Year

Aransas National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) requested public comment last month about a proposed fee increase for the 2016-2017 hunt season. The refuge was considering the use of Texas Parks and Wildlife's online only public hunt draw system. At this time, Aransas NWR will not be changing to the TPWD system. Refuge management intends to do more hunter scoping, and the hunt application process and fee structure will remain the same for the 2016-2017 season.

The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a leader and trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for our scientific excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated professionals and commitment to public service. For more information on our work and the people who make it happen, visit www.fws.gov <http://www.fws.gov/> .

Laura A. Bonneau

Visitor Services Manager
                      Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
                      1 Wildlife Circle
                      P.O. Box 100

Austwell, Texas 77950
                      (361) 286-3559 ext. 236

Comment

I stand corrected.
                        Thanks to AWR for at least taking the time to look deeper into this before jumping in.
                        I will be there this year with bells on.

Maybe thats why my kill rate is low, but it still a great place to hunt and just go visit.

Comment

Good to know they did the right thing, for now. And not all US Forestry Service lands are under TPDW control. LBJ National Grass Lands being one. They do however, help enforce the game laws out there.

Comment

Victory is ours

Comment

Originally posted by Cprothro View Post
                              Victory is ours
                              I wouldn't call it a victory just yet by a long shot. The news release said "for now the 2016/17 season will remain the same", but its good news this year for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X