New house brick groute question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New house brick groute question.

We had this house built about a year and a half ago. There are places where they did not grout the brick joints. What is the reason why they do this? I ask because I am thinking of filling them in because we have ants in almost every room of the house. We only eat at the dining room table and I have seen ants crawling in and out of theses gaps. Is it ok to fill these in with clear caulk?Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1407242605473.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	25025219

Allows any water/moisture that gets in there to weep out.

Comment

i think they are drain holes . all the house I've lived in have them.

Comment

Yep, weep holes. You could put some screen or steel wool over them to keep the critters out and still allow airflow

Comment

Agree,weep holes for water.

Comment

Weep holes. I wouldn't recommend grouting them in. It allows your exterior walls to breathe with the soffit you have ventilated. It will also allow water out in case of a major leak. Hire an exterminator instead.

Comment

Thanks. I will get some steel wool at wally world.

Comment

weep holes

Comment

DO NOT Caulk....spray em with insecticide etc. I would not put anything that would slow water/ air movement.

Comment

Pest control....nothing, steel wool, caulk or anything will keep ants out.
                    Spray pesticide!

Steel wool will rust away...leaving a mesh

Comment

They make little screen inserts you can put in them. DO NOT seal them up! You need air circulation behind the brick for several reasons.

Comment

Get some Demon WP from your local chemical store. Best pesticide on the market IMO. costs about $25 for a year supply, using quarterly. Safe to use inside, just follow directions.

Comment

Working...
                        X