Headed to Colorado today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed out today for a mule deer hunt in Unit 43. Probly not much cell service when I get around Marble Colorado, but will update when I can. Any tips or good advise for a first timer?

I lived in Carbondale for 10 years . Unit 43 is very tough hunting from a conditioning point of view. It is steep and pretty much a back packing unit. Wherever you hunt be prepared to go way in off the road. This area is very popular. I am assuming if your going to Marble you are probably hunting Lead King Basin? If so Go way in play the wind and watch the south facing slopes. There are many good areas in that unit. I always liked Middle Thompson Creek. You may want to stop in at the forest service office in Carbondale on Main St. Parts of Meclure pass are good and back side of Schoefiled pass. What type of vehicle are you in?

Comment

Good luck, we leave friday. Later than I want and may get later, one member has a son at Tx Childrens.

Comment

Good luck, update when you can.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck! Stick a big one.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Pkripper we will have a jeep and a 4 wheeler.. Anything on sheep mountain?

Comment

Went thru Marble last summer. Pretty area.
                    As rule of thumb, hunt from high in mornings ( between them and their higher beds), low in the evenings ( as they come from beds).
                    Prepare for all weather with clothes, tow straps and big jack.
                    Good luck!

Comment

Sheep mountains not bad but it sits right in the middle of lead king loop. People will be all over the place. I would always go to the northeast corner of the loop and head up on foot towards Geneva lake. Most out of state hunters are going to drive the loop and do a lot of spotting. The farther in and higher up you go should be better. I'm going to contact a friend of mine in Redstone and see if I can get some current info. The muley population has really come back in that area. Are you guys camping up there?

Comment

We are staying in a cabin in Marble. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Awesome good luck.

Comment

9 1/2 hrs of driving left.

Comment

Almost there. Going to try and do some scouting today.

Comment

Working...
                              X