• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
    Here are pictures of the disked fields from two weeks ago:
    [ATTACH]927838[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]927839[/ATTACH]

By no means are they perfect but since we have been disking these fields over the past three years they disk up easier and easier and look better and better each year.
    If you want to help out your soil more, over seed them with purple top turnips or Daikon radishes. Those work to help bust up any hard pan soil and make good compost in the spring. I have never had hogs eat on the turnips or radishes, so I do not know about your area. The deer will eat the radish tops and roots, and after a good cold snap the deer eat on the turnips.

Comment

Pictures of Fields 10/8/2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4816 (Large).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	24555739

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4817 (Large).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	24555740

Here are the pictures of the field from today. You can still see some seed on top of the dirt but there's not much we can do. We broadcasted at a high rate so I'm sure some seed is most likely covered. Hopefully it will grow okay. I see that we have a 100% chance for more rain tomorrow.
      Last edited by bgleaton; 10-08-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

That is small seed so it will grow just fine. I would not touch it

Comment

Leave it as is

Comment

The oats will sprout just fine, leave the field alone or it will be a rutted up mess.

Comment

Looks like we got another inch today and another 3in forecasted over the next week. I’m hoping the seed is all still in place. I’ve always said that we will take all we can get but now I’m wanting the rain to stop to make sure the seed isn’t washed away. Ill be out there next Friday and will take pictures

Comment

I’ve grown oats, wheat and rye 12” tall in the bed of trucks and in trailer floors... your good to go!

Comment

I'm glad to hear that. Thanks! I'll post some pictures next weekend.

We are going to find some other spots and throw some really small seeds out on this wet soil - purple top turnips, silver river clover, etc. and see what happens.

Comment

Nights are getting cool now, so seeds won't germinate as quickly as they did just two weeks ago, but I'm betting you'll be fine.

Comment

Ya, i wish we would have planted in mid September but we've had bad luck planting during that time of year with it being so hot in the past.

Comment

You should be fine as long as the birds don't eat the exposed seeds before they sprout.

Comment

Hopefully no marching army worms

Comment

Working...
                          X