No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ll tell you what I told him. There’s some rough country in that one. You are right on the divide.

Comment

New boots and First Lite replacements will be here tomorrow, sharpened broadheads, shot compound out to 100 and got my point on figured out with my new longbow today. Good day indeed. Not sure which bow I’m taking to WY, we’ll see. Less than 60 days until I head north.

Comment

I am a couple of weeks in on my two-a-day conditioning. Today I got hammered about a mile and a quarter away from the trailhead with rain. 98 when I hit the trail and 60 when the rain hit.
        The lightning freaked me out as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been working out 5 days a week. But this bad case of persistent plantar fasciitis is killing my foot. I wanted to be rucking and hill-climbing but I can hardly walk most of the time. Milligan Brand elk hunt in 8 weeks. Yuk.

Comment

TWP we've got cooler weather and rain. Lows down into upper 40's in Laramie this week.
            Sept 15th is opening day for us. Antelope get an earlier start , Aug. 19 this year , day after the Steinley Cup Brewfest.

Comment

Just booked my flights to Montana, fly out Aug. 31st. I'll be in the woods opening morning until the 10th. Shooting well and feel strong, so it's going to be a great trip short of any debacle with baggage or the airlines.

Comment

This will be my first elk hunt. Utah bound 8-16 scouting 8-17 hunting 8-18 to 8-27th. Ashley national forest. Should be a great experience for me,family and friends. Not supposed to be a good bugling time but a decent time to use a cow call. I’ll share pics when I can but I think service is pretty spotty in the area. Going to shoot a couple of my bows some soon and make sure I’m dialed in. Going with the wicked tricks and black hornet broadheads. Got some good local guys keeping a eye on the elk right now for us
                We will have a dang good camera for pics and a lot of good food for the campfire.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                  This will be my first elk hunt. Utah bound 8-16 scouting 8-17 hunting 8-18 to 8-27th. Ashley national forest. Should be a great experience for me,family and friends. Not supposed to be a good bugling time but a decent time to use a cow call. I’ll share pics when I can but I think service is pretty spotty in the area. Going to shoot a couple of my bows some soon and make sure I’m dialed in. Going with the wicked tricks and black hornet broadheads. Got some good local guys keeping a eye on the elk right now for us
                  We will have a dang good camera for pics and a lot of good food for the campfire.

What camera will you be using?

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    What camera will you be using?

My daughter is the camera nut and has several. She is our picture taking/spotter/rangefinder helper when needed. I think she will have the 5D Mark IV Cannon or one of her older ones with a bag full of lenses. I’m very inexperienced with the cameras so I don’t know a lot about them. Glad she’s tagging along to capture our trip or we would end up with a bunch of blurry cellphone pics.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                      My daughter is the camera nut and has several. She is our picture taking/spotter/rangefinder helper when needed. I think she will have the 5D Mark IV Cannon or one of her older ones with a bag full of lenses. I’m very inexperienced with the cameras so I don’t know a lot about them. Glad she’s tagging along to capture our trip or we would end up with a bunch of blurry cellphone pics.

Awesome! That'll be a great time with her. I thought about taking my daughter with us...to be a pack mule!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Hey guys! Just joining in on this thread...

Ive been trying to read thru this thing from start and it’s a LONG one!! Not quite caught up yet.

I drew bull Elk second rifle in Unit 66 in Colorado. Going to be my first time at ANY Elk hunt be it bow or rifle and my first Western hunt.

I do have a friend/guide who knows the Unit very well so I am hoping my odds are better.

Headed out scouting Aug 15-20 and trying to get in shape for Oct 20-28 hunt.

Been buying gear and about to rejoin my gym. Got to get back in shape. Been out of my healthy routine for about 10 months but hoping the cardio and muscle memory in legs and core is still there. [emoji849]

Anyone on here hunt Unit 66 in Colorado before?

Comment

Laramie is such a cool town, we'll be hunting around Dubois area. Done a lot of fishing, but not hunting out there. It will be fun for sure. New rain gear and boots should help. We have a contact who lives up there and says there is grass up nearly to his horse's belly. It should be a good time.

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          TWP we've got cooler weather and rain. Lows down into upper 40's in Laramie this week.
                          Sept 15th is opening day for us. Antelope get an earlier start , Aug. 19 this year , day after the Steinley Cup Brewfest.

Comment

Originally posted by Payton View Post
                            Hey guys! Just joining in on this thread...

Ive been trying to read thru this thing from start and it’s a LONG one!! Not quite caught up yet.

I drew bull Elk second rifle in Unit 66 in Colorado. Going to be my first time at ANY Elk hunt be it bow or rifle and my first Western hunt.

I do have a friend/guide who knows the Unit very well so I am hoping my odds are better.

Headed out scouting Aug 15-20 and trying to get in shape for Oct 20-28 hunt.

Been buying gear and about to rejoin my gym. Got to get back in shape. Been out of my healthy routine for about 10 months but hoping the cardio and muscle memory in legs and core is still there. [emoji849]

Anyone on here hunt Unit 66 in Colorado before?

I havent hunted 66 but have spent some time in the bottom half hiking(red cloud peak). Helped two buddies on 76 hunts. 66 is a good unit,
                            Last edited by Texans42; 07-24-2018, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Awesome Jeremy! Good luck! I know y'all will have fun. I hate Utah's elk archery dates! I will probably never go again because of that, but if I did I would go early like you are.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                                Awesome Jeremy! Good luck! I know y'all will have fun. I hate Utah's elk archery dates! I will probably never go again because of that, but if I did I would go early like you are.

Heck yeh! Gonna be a blast just on the experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X