Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the starting pointers. Looking forward to heading that way

Comment

Islamorada and go fishing with Brian Cone on Contagious.

Comment

Cool info. First time to the keys next week. Staying at Heron House in Key west and then Drop Anchor in Islamorada. Drop anchor got good reviews on tripadvisor and was in the 300ish range. Will be fishing with Capt. Jim Hendrix in islamorada.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
          Really ? Are they guided trips ?
          Do not go this weekend, every person in Florida is down there for their lobster catching weekend, they call it the mini season or something like that. We went and it was packed, it was still a good time, but way more crowded than a normal weekend. You will need to book a boat, but they are all already booked, a snorkel, a tickle stick, etc. Every lobster in that area has already been scouted and GPS marked, that morning there will be every boat in Florida down there already parked on their spot waiting on Go time...all inshore fishing is screwed that weekend also because of all the lobster fishing.

I like Key West, its a great time, don't bring your kids unless you want to answer a lot of questions about the cross dressers. Rent a scooter and go see all the different things there is to see down there, Southernmost Point, Hemmingway's house, light house, Sloppy Joe's the old fort, bars, bars and bars. Lots of good places to eat, only one beach, its not worth messing with in my opinion. Eat a Cuban Sandwich or 5 while you're there.

We stayed at the Hyatt with a Gulf view room was nice sitting up there watching the sunset. There are two Hyatts, we stayed at the one near the end of Duval Street.

First time I went was in the mid-90's, it has definitely changed since then, cruise ships keep the place pretty full during the day, but they're gone by the evening.

Comment

Really? I had no clue but I guess it makes sense. Thanks for the info, I may look into Hawks Cay
            If you’re a vet look at Hawks Cay, smoking deal for veterans.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
              Do not go this weekend, every person in Florida is down there for their lobster catching weekend, they call it the mini season or something like that. We went and it was packed, it was still a good time, but way more crowded than a normal weekend. You will need to book a boat, but they are all already booked, a snorkel, a tickle stick, etc. Every lobster in that area has already been scouted and GPS marked, that morning there will be every boat in Florida down there already parked on their spot waiting on Go time...all inshore fishing is screwed that weekend also because of all the lobster fishing.

I like Key West, its a great time, don't bring your kids unless you want to answer a lot of questions about the cross dressers. Rent a scooter and go see all the different things there is to see down there, Southernmost Point, Hemmingway's house, light house, Sloppy Joe's the old fort, bars, bars and bars. Lots of good places to eat, only one beach, its not worth messing with in my opinion. Eat a Cuban Sandwich or 5 while you're there.

We stayed at the Hyatt with a Gulf view room was nice sitting up there watching the sunset. There are two Hyatts, we stayed at the one near the end of Duval Street.

First time I went was in the mid-90's, it has definitely changed since then, cruise ships keep the place pretty full during the day, but they're gone by the evening.
              Yeah on second thought, I will just buy my lobster and stay away from this weekend.

Comment

Love the Keys, for fishing and relaxing. Don't ever plan to return to Key West. Went once and left after a half day of looking around. We enjoy the Islamorada Key area.

Comment

This is what I was looking at. Looks like lots of good fishing charters out of there. Where did you stay ? Looking to keep it under 500 a night
                  I forget the name, but it was a very nice gated community with a private beach, boat slips, and a pool. I'm thinking it was around 1500 for the week. We found it on vrbo. Robbies marina is about ten minutes away, and has a bunch of guides, and you can rent boats or anything else you might want from there. I'll see if I can find the name of the place. It was very nice and very reasonable.

Comment

Wife and I like Marathon. Tranquility Bay resort is top notch. Stay away from Sea Dog fishing Charter though.

Comment

Stay in the Truman annex!

Comment

Really ? Are they guided trips ?
                        That could be arranged, I take my own boat and had no problems getting 24 per day. It was a blast, and I had no others around me. There are also local dive shops that will take you.
                        PM me if you want additional details

Comment

Working...
                        X