No announcement yet.

Berger bullet failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're going to shoot them in the shoulder do you want significant expansion? I shoot bucks in the shoulder, albeit with Barnes Triple Shocks, with the intention of shattering both shoulder blades to disable them and hopefully hit the spine on the way through. Scapula are hard bones. I don't think you want a violently expanding bullet for this. Folding like a cheap lawn chair is what I want with the shot you took.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
      If you're going to shoot them in the shoulder do you want significant expansion? I shoot bucks in the shoulder, albeit with Barnes Triple Shocks, with the intention of shattering both shoulder blades to disable them and hopefully hit the spine on the way through. Scapula are hard bones. I don't think you want a violently expanding bullet for this. Folding like a cheap lawn chair is what I want with the shot you took.

LWD
      Neither shoulder broker lol. It took me awhile to find the exit. Had to cape him to find both holes. I'm gonna keep using them for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Matt my 6.5-284 hates the ABLR bullets.

I've had nothing but perfect performance in mine with the 140 VLDs. I wouldn't let one incident shy you away from them.
        My 280ai hated the ABLR bullets too.
        Last edited by CADDOKILLER; 11-18-2015, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
          My 280ai hated the ABLE bullets too.
          mine too

Comment

OK so let me see if I have this straight. You shot a buck with a bullet and it folded like a fat lady in a cheap lawn chair, died in its tracks, no tracking , no lost animal and because your exit wound does not look like you think it should this is a bullet failure.

So does that mean that if you shot a buck with another bullet and it ran off, jumped the fence and your neighbor called you 2 days later and said "hey I found your buck your welcome to come get it"; And after examining a huge exit wound that you like the looks of you would say "that is a fine bullet it performed as I expected" you would be happy?

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post

LWD
              X2

Comment

Looks to me like you hammered him!...didn't take a step. Bergers are great bullets-never had them do me wrong. The problem with them 9 times out of ten is people don't have a clue what or how they perform.
                They are intended to pierce in with 3"-4 " of penetration, then they literally blow up.
                Knowing this, I would never shoot directly into the shoulder of a big mature animal. I always lung shoot with bergers...9 times out of ten they don't take a step. Always completely disintegrates the vitals.
                Save the square on big bone shots for accubonds and barnes type bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by sticknstring View Post
                  Looks to me like you hammered him!...didn't take a step. Bergers are great bullets-never had them do me wrong. The problem with them 9 times out of ten is people don't have a clue what or how they perform.
                  They are intended to pierce in with 3"-4 " of penetration, then they literally blow up.
                  Knowing this, I would never shoot directly into the shoulder of a big mature animal. I always lung shoot with bergers...9 times out of ten they don't take a step. Always completely disintegrates the vitals.
                  Save the square on big bone shots for accubonds and barnes type bullets.

High shoulder hits is what made Berger famous!

My son took a mature buck last year through the lungs with 7mag 168g Bergers at 80 yards.

Exit was no bigger than entrance and deer ran about 75 yards

Comment

I have a 6.5x284 shooting 140gr Berger VLD. Shot a Muley at 450yd head on quartering to me. Went in center chest and out behind shoulder. Blew a banana size hole on exit and shoulder was broke down. Ran 30yds and fell over. My buddy did shoot a doe last year with the 130gr Berger VLD at 75yds and hit it high shoulder. Doe ran forever and never stopped. We got to thinking he may have shot the VLD target bullet on accident. Don't know if you shoot the Target version also, but that might be worth checking out if you do to make sure they didn't get mixed up.

Comment

I use 168 gr hunting VLD and have never had an issue, sometimes it's a little exit hole sometimes it's a very large hole ! end result is an animal dead on the spot !

Comment

I had a doe take two shots tonight with the 168 Berger HVLD out of my 7 rem mag at 3050 FPS. First bullet went in and broke her spine but didn't expand. She tried to drag herself off so I quickly put another one in her. This one met its mark just behind the shoulder and went off like a hand grenade inside of her(like they are supposed to). Not sure what happened with the first shot, but it makes me nervous.

Comment

Sounds like it worked perfect

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

The AMAX is a strictly target only Bullet.
                            I know it's an old thread but this statement is not true. They are listed for hunting "thin skinned animals", including whitetail.

Comment

6.5mm 140gr did me right this morning at 362 yards. Tiny entrance, tennis ball exit. Bang flop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

The only problem I've ever had with bergers was the lack of a blood trail. I've shot several deer with a 6.5 140 hunting vld including 200lb+ south Texas deer that ran no further than 40 yards. There was absolutely no blood trail but the internal damage was unbelievable. Yes the exit wound was small but the lungs and heart were liquefied from a 6.5 creedmoor at 2860fps.

Comment

Working...
                                X