Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If cost didn't matter, what rifle would you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If cost didn't matter, what rifle would you recommend?

I'm a serious semi-auto (LaRue) guy, but have been asked to help build/find the ultimate bolt gun for the gentleman who lets me hunt on his 400+ acres for free. It'll likely be a 30 cal or 6.5 platform, but I'm not sure on what rifle to go with. It is intended for longer ranges (800+ yards) shooting from some type of rest (weight isn't a big factor) and it has a Surefire 7.62 SOCOM suppressor waiting, so a threaded barrel will need to be in the works. As you will guess from some of these early options, the price isn't a big deal for him.

What I've looked into so far:
    1. Alamo Precision - their stuff looks pretty awesome

2. LaRue Siete - whenever it comes out, but might not be willing to wait

3. Sako rifles - anyone have any experience here?

4. Blaser Rifles - not my recommendation because I know nothing about them

I'm really interested in what might be out there that I'm missing. Also it's for a lefty, but he is used to right handed guns.

Alamo
    5 Toes
    S & S Precision

talk to these guys

Comment

I haven't researched this in a while but I'm pretty sure three of the four you listed build custom rifles on existing actions. Sako is a brand. A good brand but a brand just the same. If money isn't an issue any custom builder worth their salt can build you a rifle that will be far greater than MOA accuracy. I would add Carolina Custom Rifles to the mix but there are countless companies out there.

Correction: LaRue is building their own action.
      Last edited by PigOPs; 11-09-2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I would go with a custom. Probably by APR.

Stiller Predator Action
        Bartlein, Brux or Obermeyer fluted Sendero profile barrel chambered in .280 AI (or your choice of caliber

Manners Elite Hunter MCS-EH2 with carbon fill and mini chassis

Seekins rings and a Swarovski Z6 3-18

Comment

I know some of those I listed are custom builders (the early recommendations from me) and some are manufacturers (the early preferences of the buyer).

I also know that a production rifle could go to a gunsmith for the finishing touches.

Most of the custom folks seem to start with Remington actions. Do any of these start with a better (not knocking the 700) action? I saw that Kimber uses a Mauser style action to build on that has a different extractor and locking.

Comment

Originally posted by Agbs2k8 View Post
            I'm a serious semi-auto (LaRue) guy, but have been asked to help build/find the ultimate bolt gun for the gentleman who lets me hunt on his 400+ acres for free. It'll likely be a 30 cal or 6.5 platform, but I'm not sure on what rifle to go with. It is intended for longer ranges (800+ yards) shooting from some type of rest (weight isn't a big factor) and it has a Surefire 7.62 SOCOM suppressor waiting, so a threaded barrel will need to be in the works. As you will guess from some of these early options, the price isn't a big deal for him.

What I've looked into so far:
            1. Alamo Precision - their stuff looks pretty awesome

2. LaRue Siete - whenever it comes out, but might not be willing to wait

3. Sako rifles - anyone have any experience here?

4. Blaser Rifles - not my recommendation because I know nothing about them

I'm really interested in what might be out there that I'm missing. Also it's for a lefty, but he is used to right handed guns.
            Easy answer... A Alamo precision rifle. Call Jason and talk to him 817-284-0034 or just PM stick1 on here.

Comment

I know some of those I listed are custom builders (the early recommendations from me) and some are manufacturers (the early preferences of the buyer).

I also know that a production rifle could go to a gunsmith for the finishing touches.

Most of the custom folks seem to start with Remington actions. Do any of these start with a better (not knocking the 700) action? I saw that Kimber uses a Mauser style action to build on that has a different extractor and locking.
              Alamo will start with any action you choose. They have stillers and Remington 700's in house but can get any of the custom actions. BAT, Defiance, surgeon etc.... I personally recommend Big Horn actions if money truly is no problem. Its the best I have ever had. Go big or go home I say.

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
                Alamo will start with any action you choose. They have stillers and Remington 700's in house but can get any of the custom actions. BAT, Defiance, surgeon etc.... I personally recommend Big Horn actions if money truly is no problem. Its the best I have ever had. Go big or go home I say.

Go big or go home is the idea! Buy once, cry once.

Also going back and forth between Nightforce and US Optics for the glass (will go in LaRue rings for sure). Any thoughts on the comparison there? I've always been a Leupold guy myself.

Comment

whoops.
                  Last edited by M16; 11-09-2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

If he doesn't go custom I'd go with the Blaser. I have ten or so along with a bunch of extra barrels. They all shoot great right out of the box. The triggers are excellent as well. Here is an old photo as I've added a few since then.

Comment

Go big or go home is the idea! Buy once, cry once.

Also going back and forth between Nightforce and US Optics for the glass (will go in LaRue rings for sure). Any thoughts on the comparison there? I've always been a Leupold guy myself.
                      Out of those 2 I'd go US Optics. But I would also suggest looking at the kahles k624i or the schmidt and bender PMII

Comment

Borden rifles
                        Dixie Precision

Comment

Sako fan 100%!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason19 View Post
                            Alamo
                            5 Toes
                            S & S Precision

talk to these guys
                            Unfortunately S & S are closing or have closed their door. Stick is ready to enjoy life and relax. He built by 6.5x284 and it's a shooter back in summertime.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                              Unfortunately S & S are closing or have closed their door. Stick is ready to enjoy life and relax. He built by 6.5x284 and it's a shooter back in summertime.
                              WHHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTT? Hate to hear that. Just looked at the website. Looks like the shop moved from Argyle to Denton. JD and Stick are still on the site but it makes sense that Stick wants to enjoy the fruits of his labor!
                              Last edited by RR 314; 11-09-2015, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X