Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use skeet in mine.

Comment

Mine son shoots Light Mod for 95% of sporting clays stations, full on 16yd trap, and skeet on the skeet field. Even a good shell/choke combo gets some big holes in the pattern when you don't break the bird right out of the trap house shooting LM or Mod.

Comment

I use skeet choke for clays and dove.

Comment

For trap i would use Mod if thats what you have.
          for skeet i would use "skeet" if you don't have that use IC

Comment

Personally shooting trap I like to shoot a Light Mod, for Skeet I run skeet chokes in both barrels. That said I’ve shot trap with a Mod, a Full, and an IC with not a massive amount of different. I prefer the Light mod though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Light Mod or Mod for Trap
              Sporting clays I like a improved cylinder
              Skeet I like a skeet choke or improved cylinder.

If you’re shooting dove over water a skeet choke will put a hurting on them. Normally I like a improved cylinder and might go to a modified during the middle of the day if they’re flying high.

Comment

Improved/mod

Comment

Just dont accidentally show up with an extra full Turkey choke like I did a few weeks ago. You will either miss or dust them.

Comment

I’m not sure the OP indicated what “Trap” game he was speaking about.

I saw his post about American Trap.

Answers I see are for skeet, sporting clays and might even be InternationalTrap.

American Trap ? @16 yards and a newbie would be best to use maybe a choke in the 28 points of constriction to maybe 38 points, translates to like a modified to improved modified/ light full choke (38).

Every gun is different in how they throw ammo. I’ve had guns pattern better with 7.5’s than 8’s and vice versa. So pattern your gun and your ammo.

Shooting handicap and no registered targets, I believe you’ll be classed to the 20 yard line. Pretty much shoots the same as 16. Your improved mod choke works better. 23 yards and further go as tight a choke as you got.

I’ve found 23 yards was a big move from 22. While 20-22 was about the same.

25 yard line the angles get deeper and out to 27 yards, you want all the choke you can find with the best complete patterning ammo. Experiment with ammonia until you find what works best.

I like Federal ammo because they had a hot primer for quick ignition. I’d use Federal X-Lite 7.5’s for 16 yards and handicap because I didn’t like recoil even while using a soft touch stock on my Perrazzi. On windy days I went federal paper shells. They pattern best of anything I ever shot but a hot primer.

For doubles, 1st shot use 8.5’s and a wide open choke, even a skeet choke, bit tighter maybe and a full for your second shot. Being you’re using an auto loader, I’d use improved mod. Watch that first target so your shot opens a bit or you will zero it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Call Briley out of Houston. They will fix you up with a skeet choke. They have all kinds and are very high quality.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies it is a 4H trap shoot in dripping Springs that was coming up. I still plan on shooting sometime unfortunately I will end up missing this shoot due to a death in the family. Thanks again for the advice though.

Comment

texglocker, Is your head spinning yet? lol

Comment

I use light mod for everything but turkey and waterfowl. IC would also serve you well

Comment

On my O/U I start with a Skeet choke and the second is improved....

Comment

Working...
                              X