No announcement yet.

Backstrap - what went wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always season and cook or season bacon wrap and cook. I have tried the soaking in milk or oj thing years ago but I didn't like the way it made the meat have a mushy texture.

Comment

We use Allegro Spicy - or milk - or italian dressing.
      Cut the meat in 1/4 inch thick rounds and cook super hot and super fast. Maybe 3 minutes total cook time.
      Enjoy

Comment

Recipes

Good Grief , Reading All Of These Recipes Makes One Hungry !

Comment

One thing I do is leave the meat in the cooler for 5-7 days adding fresh ice and draining the bloody water. It's made a difference in how tender the venison is. I also coat in olive oil and montreal about 1.5 hrs before cooking over hot fire to med rare.

Comment

Allegro marinade is all you need.

Comment

soak in icy salt h20 when h20 is bloody drain & repeat you will need to do this about 3 or 4 times. season to taste wrap in pepper bacon cook on medium heat about 5mins on each side. pour italian dressing on about 1 min before you take off the pit.

Comment

Why hide the taste with a marinade?

I cut them about an 1 ½ thick then pound with a coke bottle until approximately 1” thick… wrap with a slice of bacon, coat with light olive oil, rub with fresh ground black pepper and quickly sear with open flame on both sides to seal the meat… then cook approximately 2 ½ minutes per side… remove from grill and let rest 3-5 minutes… serve with steamed broccoli and grilled corn on the cob..

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Trying to get away from frying so I tried this:

Cross cut fresh strap about 1" thick, seasoned with Montreal Steak and let sit overnight. ((salty) This afternoon I put them in Dale's for about 2 hours (salty) and then wrapped in bacon.(salty)

That explains your salty. You basically salt cured those medallions before you cooked them Everything in moderation except beer.

I cooked them over mesquite to an internal temp of 140-145 which gave them a nice med-rare look when cut.

The initial taste was great but they were overall way too salty and TOUGH!

What did I do wrong or did we just kill a tough deer?
                  First, was the backstrap fresh or had it been frozen? I know this sounds crazy but IMHO backstrap cooks more tender after it has been frozen

THEN, cook it in ONE PIECE on the grill on indirect heat with the lid down. Cook to the same temperature, (maybe 5 degrees short of desired temperature) take off the grill, tent with foil and then let rest for 20 minutes.

THEN cut in 1" slices and it will melt in your mouth
                  Last edited by cosmiccowboy; 12-26-2009, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Montreal Steak seasoning as well as Dales is very salty. My favorite seasoning is Jamaica Me Crazy seasoning. I have only found it at Central Market or Market Street.

Comment

Salty was marinated too long-tough was over cooked. Wild game cooked medium rare will be medium well before you finish eating. Try cooking backstrap whole, to medium rare.You can put it back on the fire,but you can't undo welldone.

Comment

My wife is a great cook but is just now learning to cook venison. She was doing beef tenderloin for the family Christmas this weekend and I convinced her to try a backstrap in with it. She brined it for a few hours, then marinated it in olive oil with fresh herbs in a vac bag for a couple of days in the fridge. I advised her to put it in the oven a half hour later than the beef since it is so lean but unfortunately it still over cooked for our liking. Even with that, it came out great. Not as tender as the beef but great flavor and still tender enough. She's learning so I can't wait until next time. Gonna fill the freezer in muzzloader season.

Comment

Its easy to overcook venison. I like mine medium rare and I don't use salty marinades. Salt draws the natural juices out of the meat. Try cutting 1 inch or thicker slices, make a slit in the side and insert a slice of seeded jalapeno and a fair sized piece of Monterrey
                          Jack cheese, then wrap with bacon, season lightly, and grill 'til you can just see the cheese starting to melt....mmmmm goood.

Comment

Working...
                          X