F250 6.7 engine lag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
    That's normal. Try driving a new Dodge or Chevy, its way worse than the Ford. Had both a Chevy and Dodge diesels for work trucks.

I have a'12 F-250, I have gotten used to the lag. Just need to hit the accelerator about a half second before you actually need to go.
    I thought that the new L5P Duramax had the best throttle response when I was comparing it and the new Ford a couple of months ago. I didn't test drive a Dodge so no help there. The '15 Duramax I had would hesitate when you mashed on it much like you described.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
      I thought that the new L5P Duramax had the best throttle response when I was comparing it and the new Ford a couple of months ago. I didn't test drive a Dodge so no help there. The '15 Duramax I had would hesitate when you mashed on it much like you described.
      I don't know about all that. I had a '15 Duramax and an '15 Cummins, and my personal truck was a '12 Powerstroke. I noticed driving the Duramax and Cummins, I had to punch it earlier than I did my truck to pass.

I mean, Its really first world problems, but just my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        I don't know about all that. I had a '15 Duramax and an '15 Cummins, and my personal truck was a '12 Powerstroke. I noticed driving the Duramax and Cummins, I had to punch it earlier than I did my truck to pass.

I mean, Its really first world problems, but just my experience.
        I wasn't arguing that the LML had or didn't have lag. I was just giving my experience that my L5P has a much better response when I punch it than my LML had.

Comment

It's not turbo lag, its torque management. All of them have it. Can't slam the transmission with 900+ torque so they manage it through software.

The throttle boosters help but still don't take it all away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Torque management doesn't make it feel like it's not going to go.
            If you only feel it at dead stops or very slow speeds I would bet money it's your traction control.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
              Torque management doesn't make it feel like it's not going to go.
              If you only feel it at dead stops or very slow speeds I would bet money it's your traction control.

Yes it does, that's exactly what it does. Most of the modern diesels don't even get full torque until 3rd gear. Traction control will only take over if you break the tires loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Yes it does, that's exactly what it does. Most of the modern diesels don't even get full torque until 3rd gear. Traction control will only take over if you break the tires loose.

I know exactly how it works.And no it doesn't
                I have the same truck as the op and I know mine doesn't hesitate like that unless it's trying to go but fixing to spin the tires.
                I keep my psi in the rear tires around 45-50. If I put it any higher than that they will spin easily when punched.
                Our trucks have 65 more h.p. than yours, so they will easily break the tires loose.
                Last edited by Rubi513; 05-19-2017, 10:32 PM.

Comment

F250 6.7 engine lag?

I know exactly how it works.And no it doesn't
                  I have the same truck as the op and I know mine doesn't hesitate like that unless it's trying to go but fixing to spin the tires.
                  I keep my psi in the rear tires around 45-50. If I put it any higher than that they will spin easily when punched.
                  Our trucks have 65 more h.p. than yours, so they will easily break the tires loose.

So what do you believe torque management does?

Too bad that Ford doesn't put all that claimed power to the ground efficiently.

Last edited by Mike D; 05-20-2017, 06:53 AM.

Comment

So what do you believe torque management does?

Too bad that Ford doesn't put all that claimed power to the ground efficiently.

Oh good Lord!
                    I could find link after link showing the Ford with better times, but it's not worth wasting my time.
                    The op is wondering why his truck seems to hesitate or lag at slow speeds. I am not sure how Ike Gauntlet or some other test times has anything to do with that.

Once again...I have the same truck as the op, and mine does not do that.

Comment

Oh good Lord!

I could find link after link showing the Ford with better times, but it's not worth wasting my time.

The op is wondering why his truck seems to hesitate or lag at slow speeds. I am not sure how Ike Gauntlet or some other test times has anything to do with that.

Once again...I have the same truck as the op, and mine does not do that.

You are probably correct. I was making that point in response to your statement about having 65 more HP than the Ram. Well that's all fine and good. It if it doesn't gain you any significant margin other than maybe in a drag race who cares.

And you didn't answer my question about what you believe torque management does.

Comment

good discussion

Comment

It if it doesn't gain you any significant margin other than maybe in a drag race who cares.
                          Me. That's why I went with the Ford.
                          Ike Gauntlet tests or others like it have very little to do with the way I or most others will use their truck.
                          I or most folks will never pull a maximum load up a mountain...
                          There was a test done not too long ago where they were pulling fifth wheel campers. That is more in line with what most folks are using their trucks for.
                          I wonder who won that?

And you didn't answer my question about what you believe torque management does.
                          Torque management limits the power to help save your drivetrain.
                          However, it doesn't make your truck fall on its face.

Comment

Me. That's why I went with the Ford.
                            Ike Gauntlet tests or others like it have very little to do with the way I or most others will use their truck.
                            I or most folks will never pull a maximum load up a mountain...
                            There was a test done not too long ago where they were pulling fifth wheel campers. That is more in line with what most folks are using their trucks for.
                            I wonder who won that?

Torque management limits the power to help save your drivetrain.
                            However, it doesn't make your truck fall on its face.

Agreed about the max load up a steep mountain won't apply to most folks but it does keep everything on a level playing field for comparison.

I know which one you are talking about towing the 5th wheels campers but that was done before Chevy and Ram upped their power numbers.

I won't argue too much on the point about most people using their truck how it was intended. Some people like to **** away money to say look at me, I drive a Powerstroke, Duramax, Cummins. I also believe that why a lot of those folks have emissions troubles.

As to the torque management issue, you can't even admit when you are wrong. If the torque management limits power as you admit, then it definitely can cause the truck to fall on its face when you jam the throttle. That's exactly what it's designed to do to help save the power train.

Ive driven all of the diesels except the 2017 Chevy. They all have hesitation when you punch the accelerator quickly whether it's from a dead stop or going on-off-in the throttle.

Comment

Does this motor have a dual stage or compound turbo on it?
                              If so it could be a problem with the first stage causing the lag.
                              Turbo lag should not be this pronounced as long as the fuel flow is correct.
                              Torque management is a whole different thing as it retards timing on gas engines and reduces fuel flow on diesel engines to protect the tranny from shifting too hard and breaking something. Been many a souped up hot shot rig knock out the rear end and/or tranny from too much torque applied during shifting under heavy load.
                              An after market tuner might help if the lag is just the nature of the beast.

Comment

RPM..... RPM... RPM.... that turbo needs exhaust gas to work... 5th and 6th gears are overdrives... if you need mind boggling acceleration, push that little button on the end of the gearshift; but do it before you plan on needing it... and it you really want response, lock out 5th & 6th around town..

Exhaust brake button is useless 95% of the time in Texas... even towing 12.5K it takes high RMP to work... but it does work going down the 10% grade into Palo Duro canyon... yep it do....

Oh.... 3:31 gears and bigass tall tires ain't about acceleration.... get you some 3:73's or 4:11's...
                                Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 05-20-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X