No announcement yet.

How do you move away from "home"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I moved from Wisconsin to Texas in about 13 years ago. It was a big change for me, but we moved close to my wife's family. I believe that helped the transition to some extent since she had roots here. I was unhappy where I was, but it was still a very difficult decision. I can honestly say I am not the same person I used to be, I don't do the same things I used to. Bow hunting is a big part of that (started that after I moved.) I am very happy here. I am fortunate in that I do the same job but just from here now. We still visit often and have a place there. Sounds like you just need to do it. As mentioned you can always move back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
      Guess I'm lucky as I have only left my home town to go to school.

El Campo ain't much but it's close to big city stores and has all that I need.

Main thing it's close to the bays and I fish a lot so that's important and my Mother and my wife's folks still live here.

My wife wants to retire to our place in Utopia but while I love it there and the clear waters of the Sabinal River, it's too far from saltwater for me.

But then I'm getting older so I might not care lol.

I love the Keys and understand the draw for you. So if you have a job there and can go, just do it.

Good luck with it!

Grew up in El Campo. When I went away for college I hoped i'd never end up back there. Now I'd move back in a heart beat if I could find employment.

Comment

I dream about it almost everyday. But I have an amazing job that I actually like going to and pays great and I’m an only child and my parents live a couple minutes away and I have their only grandchild. Hoping in a couple years to buy my dream place and eventually retire there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
          Guess I'm lucky as I have only left my home town to go to school.

El Campo ain't much but it's close to big city stores and has all that I need.

Main thing it's close to the bays and I fish a lot so that's important and my Mother and my wife's folks still live here.

My wife wants to retire to our place in Utopia but while I love it there and the clear waters of the Sabinal River, it's too far from saltwater for me.

But then I'm getting older so I might not care lol.

I love the Keys and understand the draw for you. So if you have a job there and can go, just do it.

Good luck with it!
          Man I wish I liked to fish, because EC ain’t bad if you like to do that kinda stuff. But this place is torture for someone who likes rocky soil, hills, oaks, and axis!

Comment

I moved away from home in 2008. Moved to the BCS area(wife is an Animal Science prof), and really enjoyed it. Then she got a better opportunity at NMSU, which brought us to Las Cruces. I had zero desire to move here, but it was a great career move for her, so here we are. I learned to enjoy what NM has to offer, but now most of our friends have all moved away from here, we have a baby, and no family within 8.5 hrs... it's time to move back east. Everytime I go back home, which has only been a whopping 4 or 5 times since 2009, I don't want to leave. I don't need to be in my hometown, or even my home state, but after living across the country, being within 3-4hrs of family sure would be nice(even if it's just my wife's family in Texas).

My $0.02, think ahead, and think hard. Like I said, the only reason we moved here was for my wife's career, but we're both ready to get out of Dodge. And moving sucks.
            Last edited by quackadikt; 01-02-2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
              I moved away from home in 2008. Moved to the BCS area(wife is an Animal Science prof), and really enjoyed it. Then she got a better opportunity at NMSU, which brought us to Las Cruces. I had zero desire to move here, but it was a great career move for her, so here we are. I learned to enjoy what NM has to offer, but now most of our friends have all moved away from here, we have a baby, and no family within 8.5 hrs... it's time to move back east. Everytime I go back home, which has only been a whopping 4 or 5 times since 2009, I don't want to leave. I don't need to be in my hometown, or even my home state, but after living across the country, being within 3-4hrs of family sure would be nice(even if it's just my wife's family in Texas).

My $0.02, think ahead, and think hard. Like I said, the only reason we moved here was for my wife's career, but we're both ready to get out of Dodge. And moving sucks.

We have very little family left. We pretty much live to ourselves so there wouldn't be a huge change there.

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                I joined the military.
                I did same it got me out of cotton patch..Joined the Navy saw the world (west side ) VN too..But is was a great experience..And I would do it again

Comment

Grew up in Lubbock, lived in Georgia and now Granbury...best move I ever made! Trees, water, hills, NO dust storms in the spring and LOT'S of critters to enjoy. I just drove home from home depot on the "loop," pulled over the side of the road and counted 17 deer grazing. Oh, the same big 10 point was there as always and less than 5 minutes from our home. Wife and I love it and the kids love to visit.

Key...Momma has to be on line or it's not going to work...enjoy and take the plunge, you only live once!!

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                    Grew up in Lubbock, lived in Georgia and now Granbury...best move I ever made! Trees, water, hills, NO dust storms in the spring and LOT'S of critters to enjoy. I just drove home from home depot on the "loop," pulled over the side of the road and counted 17 deer grazing. Oh, the same big 10 point was there as always and less than 5 minutes from our home. Wife and I love it and the kids love to visit.

Key...Momma has to be on line or it's not going to work...enjoy and take the plunge, you only live once!!
                    Yup, that's where I want to go back to. A few hrs from salt water, and somewhere with trees, grass, and no more God-blessed dust. I hate spring time here.

Comment

I joined the Marines at 18

Comment

Wow, Derek! That's a huge move for you! I thought you were considering the Texas coast, but FL?

Hmm. Those people are weird over there. Most are wanna be southerners but just ain't got it. What I love about Texas - we're Texans! It's the culture, the hospitality, that can't be matched anywhere. Georgia comes close, but definitely not Florida.

But, if you are wanting to do this - first, make sure you get a job that gives you a raise on top of the additional cost of living index and it is in the area you want to live. My sister lived in Ocala for a long time and loved it.

The Keys though, that's a tough one. Lots of Cuban immigrants - good or bad. Look into the political climate - is a liberal area or conservative? Will the culture of the community tolerate your attitudes?

Look at the crime rates and in particular crimes against women. Check out the schools and crime rates and success rates there.

If you feel good, then have a yard sale and move!

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                          Yup, that's where I want to go back to. A few hrs from salt water, and somewhere with trees, grass, and no more God-blessed dust. I hate spring time here.
                          Yep, lot's of Old time Granbury folks not happy with the growth, but we are far enough from DFW it will be slower than the Frisco, Plano, etc. areas.

Comment

Born and raised in Seguin and I left the month after graduation from high school. Gone as far as Oman across the pond and after being gone for 20+ years I came back and now live in San Marcos.

God bless and happy hunting.
                            Richard.

Comment

How do you move away from "home"?

I have never lived out of a metro area my whole life! Last April, I decided to heck with it, sold my house, and moved to 122ac place just out of Sonora. I only knew two people in the area. I still don’t know a lot of folks yet, but we are in the middle of the remodel project from he77!

I could not be happier, and my only regret is that I did not do this 20yrs ago!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've been to key west a couple times...Only got thrown out once(in college )

Lots of good fishing...pretty water. But no hill country or exotics.

It is a nice place to visit... you gotta be of "salt life" to enjoy it full time...my opinion only.

Best of luck in your travels.

Comment

Working...
                                X