Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
Luckyhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leggett
Default Level of the Brazos in Waco?

Hello all,

Looking to see if someone that lives in Waco can tell me how the Brazos is looking currently? I have a half-Ironman there this coming Sunday 10/28 and am fearful they are going to cancel the swim.

All the info that I am able to pull up online isn't very helpful and would rather hear from someone who has firsthand knowledge.

Thanks in advance!!!
Luckyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
hog_down
Ten Point

Good luck to you, sir!
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Whitney is still in good shape. You can still see the ROOFs on the picnic shelters.
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

What part of the river? Downtown area?
KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Luckyhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDinTX View Post
What part of the river? Downtown area?

Yes I believe itís at Indian park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
b1gwes
Four Point

Hunt In: College Station/ South Texas

In for details as well, I've been waiting patiently for updates for the past few days! I don't have Facebook or anything but a buddy of mine showed me pictures that were posted last week and the surrounding path around the river/bridge was completely submerged with a butt-load of debris and trash in the water. He also noted that half of the bike course was flooded but i imagine that will be dried out rather quick.
b1gwes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #7
KDinTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gwes View Post
In for details as well, I've been waiting patiently for updates for the past few days! I don't have Facebook or anything but a buddy of mine showed me pictures that were posted last week and the surrounding path around the river/bridge was completely submerged with a butt-load of debris and trash in the water. He also noted that half of the bike course was flooded but i imagine that will be dried out rather quick.
Drove over the bridges this afternoon, itís still pretty much like that. Water over the walking path on most of it, and a good bit of debris around bridge columns, and around the banks.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #8
Tx-Burt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie
Default Brazos east of Waco

We drove over the Brazos East of Waco on Hwy 6/loop 340 going towards Mart on Saturday 10/20/2018. It was up to the Banks and moving pretty fast, lot of debris and pretty muddy. I definitely wouldn't try to swim in it.

Last edited by Tx-Burt; 10-22-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Tx-Burt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #9
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

They just had it on news and they said they were going to keep an eye on it and decide later if they will have the swim or not. If I were betting I would say they will be dropping the swim.
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #10
Luckyhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruppa24 View Post
They just had it on news and they said they were going to keep an eye on it and decide later if they will have the swim or not. If I were betting I would say they will be dropping the swim.

I hate racing just a bike and run but the swim isnít worth dying for.

Thanks everyone for the replies, as the week goes on hopefully it will become clearer which way the WTC folks will lean.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #11
Luckyhunter
Eight Point

Quote:

You racing Sunday? First race or seasoned?

Iíll be driving in Saturday morning, hoping to make bike check in and look at the expo around noonish.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #12
b1gwes
Four Point

Hunt In: College Station/ South Texas

First timer over here! Very excited and a bit nervous as well haha!! Are you a seasoned vet?! Iíll be driving in Saturday around the same timeframe. Hopefully weíll hear something sooner than later. Looking at the bib numbers thereís quite a few people from around country attending, seems as though they should have already said something? Hoping for no cancelations though as I want to get the ďfull experienceĒ 👌🏽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyhunter View Post
You racing Sunday? First race or seasoned?

Iíll be driving in Saturday morning, hoping to make bike check in and look at the expo around noonish.

b1gwes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #13
Tbull9
Four Point

Hunt In: Crawford, Brownwood

With Whitney letting water out i doubt it comes down much, There was a lot of current this morning when I came by.
Tbull9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #14
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Here is a link you can use to check gauges real time... It does not look like it's going to go down any time soon... Don't think/hope they would risk getting some one injured...

Best of luck to you on the race...

https://water.weather.gov/ahps/
Attached Images

Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #15
Flex
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Bushes

River is roaring. I wouldn't count on being able to swim it this weekend. Probably not even going to be beatable for a few weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 07:24 PM   #16
Notaguide
Four Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co.

Can't imagine anyone swimming with the risk of floating debris in the water. The lake is closed also. Good luck either way.
Notaguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #17
Luckyhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
First timer over here! Very excited and a bit nervous as well haha!! Are you a seasoned vet?! Iíll be driving in Saturday around the same timeframe. Hopefully weíll hear something sooner than later. Looking at the bib numbers thereís quite a few people from around country attending, seems as though they should have already said something? Hoping for no cancelations though as I want to get the ďfull experienceĒ

Not a pro by far (Iím slow and old) but Iíve done a few. I hate to see them call the swim for your first, but Iíve raced when they should have and didnít and trust me itís better to swim another day.

Typically WTC (IronMan) waits till the last minute to announce anything but we should know Saturday. Doesnít sound promising.

Itíll still be a awesome race and youíll have earned your medal! Iíll pm you my cell # give me a call and we can meet up at the expo. My bib is 1082.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #18
jabel
Six Point

Hunt In: Coryell

It will be roaring for awhile. Once they quit letting water out of Whitney and Aquilla, they will open the gates at Waco. Last I checked, Waco was over 10í above normal with more still coming down the north Bosque. That was probably last Friday. I highly doubt that you guys and gals get to swim this weekend.
jabel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #19
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

More rain expected Tuesday, and PK is still letting out water as of Saturday. The Brazos watershed is soaked.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #20
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I keep up with the water on the Brazos almost daily. At this very moment, Whitney lake (above Waco on the Brazos where I hunt a great deal) is letting out 20,210 cubic feet per second and the lake is still rising. Lake Aquilla (also above Waco) is releasing 2,518 cfs on top of Whitney's release. That is pretty turbulent waters. I only expect Whitney to increase it's release. Lake Waco is releasing 3,807 cfs. But I'm not sure if that will be above the swim course or not. And being a former triathlete my self (1st in 1991, last in 2003), I'm sorry to say my bet is the swim will be cancelled . I used to fish below the dams all the time for stripers and cats. I do understand the power and energy of the water that is being released. I don't see a well trained man swimming across, only down river. And that's going to be dangerous.

Anyway, good luck to all if yall get to race. Stay focused, fueled, and hydrated.

Former President of Tri Cowtown Triathlon Club,

MikeB.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #21
HYDRO_69
Six Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I'm in the measuring water business. I was in Waco last Friday looking at river bridge crossings for stream gaging purposes. This event was mentioned and I off the cuff said "what are y'all going to do tie the contestants off with a rope and let them swim upstream for 30-min and then drag them to the bank to continue their race?" Lots of water upstream that needs to get downstream in that river basin. I know its a bummer for the folks registered for the event, but hopefully the right decision is made for the swimming portion of the event.
HYDRO_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #22
Tbull9
Four Point

Hunt In: Crawford, Brownwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
I'm in the measuring water business. I was in Waco last Friday looking at river bridge crossings for stream gaging purposes. This event was mentioned and I off the cuff said "what are y'all going to do tie the contestants off with a rope and let them swim upstream for 30-min and then drag them to the bank to continue their race?" Lots of water upstream that needs to get downstream in that river basin. I know its a bummer for the folks registered for the event, but hopefully the right decision is made for the swimming portion of the event.
Were you one of those guys standing on the hog creek bridge last week on 185 outside Crawford? I was wondering what was going on.
Tbull9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #23
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

Hunt In: old u.s.m.c. camys

anyone know how long it will take to get to Hwy 290?
bryan sandlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #24
HYDRO_69
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull9 View Post
Were you one of those guys standing on the hog creek bridge last week on 185 outside Crawford? I was wondering what was going on.

Some of our staff was. They are measuring the flow (CFS).
Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #25
HYDRO_69
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan sandlin View Post
anyone know how long it will take to get to Hwy 290?
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/u...cd=00065,00060
Old 10-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #26
Rwc
Ten Point

Article on KWTX - Channel 10 web site this morning regarding the event. It reads that the decision about whether to swim or not will not be made until maybe the morning of the event.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Se...498251331.html

Best of luck to all.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #27
Luckyhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Article on KWTX - Channel 10 web site this morning regarding the event. It reads that the decision about whether to swim or not will not be made until maybe the morning of the event.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Se...498251331.html

Best of luck to all.

Rwc
Doesn't surprise me a bit, they usually wait right up to the last minute to make the call. By reading and seeing all the info I think its safe to say we are probably not going to be swimming this weekend.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #28
Rwc
Ten Point

Quote:
Doesn't surprise me a bit, they usually wait right up to the last minute to make the call. By reading and seeing all the info I think its safe to say we are probably not going to be swimming this weekend.
I looked this morning and they are still letting lots of water out of Lake Whitney and some out of Aquilla. I also read that Lake Waco is just holding patiently while they get Granbury, Whitney and Aqullia drained down, then Waco is going to dump a bunch of water into the Brazos.

If I was a betting man, I would bet no swimming portion Saturday unless they figure out a place to enter and exit a swim portion in and out of the lake.

Rwc
Old 10-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #29
KDinTX
Ten Point

Taken from a FB post but Lake Waco Marina as of two days ago

Old 10-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #30
jwells93
Four Point

Good luck
jwells93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #31
Luckyhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
I looked this morning and they are still letting lots of water out of Lake Whitney and some out of Aquilla. I also read that Lake Waco is just holding patiently while they get Granbury, Whitney and Aqullia drained down, then Waco is going to dump a bunch of water into the Brazos.

If I was a betting man, I would bet no swimming portion Saturday unless they figure out a place to enter and exit a swim portion in and out of the lake.

Rwc

Looked at the flow rate this morning and the projected rate for the weekend. I just donít see a swim happening.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #32
Rwc
Ten Point

Quote:
Looked at the flow rate this morning and the projected rate for the weekend. I just donít see a swim happening.

Yea, been paying attention to it and itís not looking good.

Best of luck in whatever they end up doing.

Rwc