No announcement yet.

Anyone else hunt out of a saddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason I was asking about the safety harness was that I’m looking at the Kestrel/Kite. Their website says you still need a safety harness, not sure how that would work though. I previously purchased a rock climbing harness and preferred it over traditional harnesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
      The reason I was asking about the safety harness was that I’m looking at the Kestrel/Kite. Their website says you still need a safety harness, not sure how that would work though. I previously purchased a rock climbing harness and preferred it over traditional harnesses.

That is probably just a real convenient CYA maneuver on their part.

I have been using a rock harness for the last couple of years out of traditional tree stands. I would never even consider a conventional treestand harness again. It cracks me up all the guys that are super concerned that a rock harness is not safe to use in a treestand. Clearly they are unfamiliar with rock climbing.

The saddle thing has always interested me. I actually bought one of the originals but ended up selling it because it was pretty clumsy to use. When the kestrels came out they definitely caught my attention but the price tag was a bit steep for me. I have quite a lot of experience sewing gear so I just made one. I already had all of the material from other projects, so all i have in it is $27 worth of climbing rope. I hunted out of it for the first time this week. I sat for 3.25 hours. It took a little tweaking to find how to be the most comfortable but once I figured it out it was money. At the very least it is as comfortable as a hang on. I used to really have it stuck in my head that I needed to pre hang sets. I feel super mobile now. I have no hesitation to move trees if needed and can easily hang and hunt. I am using a small platform which allows me to stand fully and turn however I want very easily, just like being in a treestand.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
        That is probably just a real convenient CYA maneuver on their part.

I have been using a rock harness for the last couple of years out of traditional tree stands. I would never even consider a conventional treestand harness again. It cracks me up all the guys that are super concerned that a rock harness is not safe to use in a treestand. Clearly they are unfamiliar with rock climbing.

The saddle thing has always interested me. I actually bought one of the originals but ended up selling it because it was pretty clumsy to use. When the kestrels came out they definitely caught my attention but the price tag was a bit steep for me. I have quite a lot of experience sewing gear so I just made one. I already had all of the material from other projects, so all i have in it is $27 worth of climbing rope. I hunted out of it for the first time this week. I sat for 3.25 hours. It took a little tweaking to find how to be the most comfortable but once I figured it out it was money. At the very least it is as comfortable as a hang on. I used to really have it stuck in my head that I needed to pre hang sets. I feel super mobile now. I have no hesitation to move trees if needed and can easily hang and hunt. I am using a small platform which allows me to stand fully and turn however I want very easily, just like being in a treestand.

Are you on saddlehunter as we’ll Lean? I agree with you that saddles are the ultimate in mobile setups.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
          Are you on saddlehunter as we’ll Lean? I agree with you that saddles are the ultimate in mobile setups.

Yes but im new there. Only commented on one thread. Same user name.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes but im new there. Only commented on one thread. Same user name.

Post up your DIY saddle over there. Everyone would love to see it!

Comment

I will. Just waiting until i have a dead deer pic to go with it.

Comment

Anyone else hunt out of a saddle?

I was a guest on Storm Water Creek podcast talking about saddles. I told them they must have been desperate to ask for me to come on!

iTunes

Stitcher
                Discover your favorite Podcasts from a variety of categories including Daily News, Music, Business, True Crime, Comedy, Politics and more. Listen to Podcasts on Pandora.

Comment

The boys on "The Hunting Public" use them things. Handy if you gotta move around. I will stick to my treestands. Looks like the bolts would kill your feet.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    The boys on "The Hunting Public" use them things. Handy if you gotta move around. I will stick to my treestands. Looks like the bolts would kill your feet.

With decent firm soles they aren’t bad. I just slightly reposition my feet every 45 or so minutes. I rotate between the balls of my feet, my arches, and my heels. I often run a platform up top as well, and there’s absolutely zero foot fatigue with that.

Comment

I really fell in love with the saddle last year. I ended up killing 4 deer out of it with my bow. I have no plans to every buy another treestand. I just made another saddle for a friend of mine.

I ended up making a set of wild edge steps and a predator like platform as well. I am in the process now of making another platform that packs even flatter. Someone on saddle hunter recently posted a diy hex shaped platform. I copied his basic idea and modded it some.

Comment

Present. I hunt out of a saddle and have done so for the last ten years or so. Only way to hunt IMO.

Ikeman is a great ambassador for the saddle community from what I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by LilHoss View Post
                          Present. I hunt out of a saddle and have done so for the last ten years or so. Only way to hunt IMO.

Ikeman is a great ambassador for the saddle community from what I have seen.

Thanks for the kind words LilHoss.

I really fell in love with the saddle last year. I ended up killing 4 deer out of it with my bow. I have no plans to every buy another treestand. I just made another saddle for a friend of mine.

I ended up making a set of wild edge steps and a predator like platform as well. I am in the process now of making another platform that packs even flatter. Someone on saddle hunter recently posted a diy hex shaped platform. I copied his basic idea and modded it some.

I feel the same way. For the cost of a couple half decent stands, you can have a full saddle setup and not worry about hanging stands ever again. Add a decent mobile climbing method to that, and you are set for good. I’ve even gotten to where I use all my mobile gear on the few sits I do on family land.
                          I’ll hang from a saddle 15 feet above a box blind [emoji1787]

Comment

I like the mobility, but it doesn't look comfortable, except for the chair sling, that looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              I like the mobility, but it doesn't look comfortable, except for the chair sling, that looks good.

They don’t LOOK comfy, but they sure are. I am significantly more comfortable than in a stand.

Comment

I thought long and hard about putting together a DIY saddle, but ultimately I just don't trust myself... So I splurged and ordered a Tethrd Mantis. Can't wait to use it this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X