First Buck With a Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Buck With a Bow

This my first year hunting Lake Whitney so I owe a big thanks to RedneckBrizz for getting me started. I hunted my treestand the day before and only saw a small fork horn, and prior to that only a few turkeys, but from trail cam pics I knew there were plenty of does and a handful of legal bucks including a nice 9 pointer in the area. I knew it was just a matter of time before I'd get a shot. Sunday morning I got on stand over an hour before legal daylight hoping to get ahead of the deer which seemed to be on my feed pile at or before first light. At 7:30 I had a feeling that I needed to stand up and be ready. Not a minute later my buck arrived. It couldn't have been more perfect as he came in right over my right sboulder and circled into my corn pile without ever getting quite dead down wind. He was totally unaware of my presence 25' high in the tree just 10 yards away. I watched him feed for 10 minutes without giving me a shot opportunity. I needed one step. Finally he took the step, and when the chattering squirrels behind him got him to look their way, I drew and subsequently released a perfectly placed Easton axis tipped with a Rage hypodermic. He gave a tell tale mule kick and took off towards an open pature. As I watched, I could see his side already soaked in blood and I knew the job was done. The arrow was painted red and stuck in the dirt where he stood. I couldn't contain myself. He ran 160 yards dead on his feet. Both lungs and his heart were pierced by the rage, and the blood trail was a red carpet. He is my first bow buck, my first branch antlered buck on public land, and far and beyond the most thrilling hunt of my life. I was glad to share the moment with my dad who was hunting just a few hundred yards away.
    Attached Files

Awesome, congrats!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Good Job!!

Comment

Congrats on your first bow buck!

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Really nice job, Congrats

Comment

very nice. Good write up by the way. Congratulations!

Comment

Always special! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Awesome story. Good job man! Still waiting for mine!

Comment

congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                              X