Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A/C help needed...outside unit just humms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C help needed...outside unit just humms.

Came home today and the outside unit was sounding bad. the sound was like it was pulsating...but smoothly. Went inside and the unit quit. So I figured it was just cycled off.

Went out later while the unit inside was blowing and the outside was humming.

I turned off the whole shabang. Went out later and turned it on, but the outside just hummed. I can turn the fan easily. Fixing to go out and take off the cover before it gets dark.

Any quick ideas?

Momma ain't gonna be happy when she gets home. I ain't told her yet.

sounds like the contator, its a spring loaded switch that come off the condenser unit. Mine did had the same noise last week and I was able to find the part in town. There is a wire coming off the condenser ,that stays hot even when the breaker is shut down, that runs to the contactor unit, it's the bigger wires that supply the compressor. You will probably need a meter to help you along. You will have 120 from the condenser and 12V from the thermostat wires that wont turn off at the outside wall breaker usually. good luck!

Comment

Fan not running? Bad capacitor maybe?
      If it's a bad capacitor, you should be able to spin the fan with a screw driver and it will take off on its own and run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not an expert by any means but sounds like the fan motor has gone out. About a $100 fix if ya DIY.

Comment

Ha--three posts and three different diagnoses---

Comment

Second for fan motor

Comment

For tonight, and if you have one, lay a box fan across the top to act as the fan... You will get some cooling for the night. I did this for a week until my fan motor came in.

Comment

I pulled the cover off the guts of it and did not see anything that looked "wrong" took lots of pictures of things as well.

Comment

I think capacitor. May want to go ahead and pack a bag and go to holiday inn.
                  That way in the morning you will be smarter and able to fix it.

Comment

Motor spins freely? Not the problem. Sounds like capacitor or contactor. Is the capacitor swollen?

Comment

Originally posted by JGreen31 View Post
                      For tonight, and if you have one, lay a box fan across the top to act as the fan... You will get some cooling for the night. I did this for a week until my fan motor came in.
                      Wouldn't help if the compressor is not running.

Comment

will check closer about the capacitor. looked ok.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post
                          Motor spins freely? Not the problem. Sounds like capacitor or contactor. Is the capacitor swollen?
                          the fan spins freely if that is what ya meant.

Comment

if your humming is coming from compressor, it sounds like bad motor or capacitor. If you change you motor, also change your capacitor. My motor went out this past weekend, So, if your compressor is coming on and you have a big box fan, lay the fan on top on the unit blowing the heat up & out. It should work until you can get fan motor tomorrow. I had to do it over the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post
                              Mine did this last year, capacitor swollen like a fat lip, if that's it try and get the a/c guy to put one made in the USA. Or buy an extra one. This heat is tough on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X